Running R9 390 with 4gb of RAM

JR1409
Go to solution Solved by Bob Jim,

I know the CPU is going to bottleneck it hard, but that's not the point, as I said, I'm upgrading part by part and I have to start with something, I will buy a 6600k in the future. Just wanted to know if it is doable. As long as the card gives me 60fps at 1680x1050 its okay for me. I am upgrading from a really old PC :/

It will be able to run. You probably won't get 60fps at 10..50p until you get that 6600k, but once you do, easily.

Hi guys!

I'm about to buy the ASUS R9 390 in a couple of weeks as part of a step by step upgrade to my computer (cause i don't have that instacash) but my PC only has 6gb of RAM, it stated on the site that it needs at least 8gb to run, is this true? Won't I be able to use the card at all?

PC specs:

Phenom II x4 955

Gigabyte 880gm-ud2h

6 gb RAM 1600mhz (3*2gb)

Radeon HD 5670

In case you are wondering: I'm picking that card because I want to play WoW on Ultra at 90+ fps in 1440p, and... well that's all. 970 is not an option, I don't want that card, really, besides I'm buying a Free-sync display (XG270HU). Also I'm picking ASUS because it uses the same PCB as the DCUII 290x so its the only one with waterblock available, I'm planning to watercool the whole PC once it is finished.

I want the GPU now because my present one stopped working 6 days ago :'(. Damn 5 year old computer. u.u

Thanks for your help! :)

That Phenom is going to hold it back hard more than the ram.

Spoiler

CPU: i7-5820k @ 4.4GHz Motherboard: Asus X99 Strix  Graphics Card: Gigabyte 980Ti G1 Gaming Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury 24GB (3x 8GB) Hard Drive: 1TB WD Green SSD: Samsung 950 Pro 250GB CPU Cooling: Corsair H100i Power Supply: EVGA G2 850W Case: Corsair 400c Mouse: Logitech G502 Keyboard: Asus Strix (mx reds)  Monitor: BenQ XL2730Z 1440p@144hz OS: Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit Laptops: Lenovo Y50-70: i7-4720HQ - 16GB RAM - 256GB SSD - GTX 960m 4GB - MacBook Pro (Early 2016) 2,0GHz i5 - 8GB Ram - 256GB SSD Phone: iPhone 7+

The bottleneck with the CPU is going to be real

Early 2020 Build : Intel i7 8700k // MSI Krait Z370 // Corsair LPX 8x2 16GB // Aorus 5700 XT // NZXT H500 

Early 2019 Build : Ryzen 2600X // Asus Tuff X470 // G.Skill Trident Z RGB 8x2 16GB // MSI RTX 2070 // NZXT H500 

Late 2017 Build : Intel i7 8700k // Asus Prime Z370-A // G.Skill Trident Z 8x2 16GB // EVGA GTX 1080 Ti  // NZXT S320 Elite 

Late 2015 Build : Intel i7 6700k // Asus Maximus VI Gene Z170 //  Corsair LPX 8x2 16GB // Gigabyte GTX 970 // Corsair Air 240

It will run, but its not recommended.

See above posts on why

Lets all ripperoni in pepperoni

Bottleneck will be huge 

It will run, but its not recommended.

See above posts on why

I know the CPU is going to bottleneck it hard, but that's not the point, as I said, I'm upgrading part by part and I have to start with something, I will buy a 6600k in the future. Just wanted to know if it is doable. As long as the card gives me 60fps at 1680x1050 its okay for me. I am upgrading from a really old PC :/

It doesn't "require" 8 GB of RAM... what you are reading is that it actually has 8 GB of onboard Video RAM (marketing gimick warning!  this is way too much for the not-super-high-end card!).

Also see above posts.

It will be able to run. You probably won't get 60fps at 10..50p until you get that 6600k, but once you do, easily.

Better you keep the monitor purchase for another day and upgrade your system in $400

MacBook Pro 13" Mid 2012 w/Core i5 3210M and glorious HD 4000 Graphics

Better you keep the monitor purchase for another day and upgrade your system in $400

The monitor will be one of the last buys, first it is CPU, MOBO and RAM asap, maybe for the end of the year. but my birthday is in 2 weeks and my dad offered me to help with one of my pieces so i though the GPU was a good place to start since the one I have sucks so much. I didn't know my Phenom would bottleneck so hard my GPU. Logical Increments says Phenom don't bottleneck GPU's until 80-90 fps (In WoW).

What? Too low of a resolution? Monitor is 6 years old...

Btw Thanks for your help! That's what i needed to know. :)

Btw Thanks for your help! That's what i needed to know. :)

You're welcome :)

You're welcome :)

Hey update the GPU lineup with the GTX 950

MacBook Pro 13" Mid 2012 w/Core i5 3210M and glorious HD 4000 Graphics

Hey update the GPU lineup with the GTX 950

That post will not be getting updated any more, within the next couple of days I am going to completely rewrite it, there were a few major flaws with it.

The monitor will be one of the last buys, first it is CPU, MOBO and RAM asap, maybe for the end of the year. but my birthday is in 2 weeks and my dad offered me to help with one of my pieces so i though the GPU was a good place to start since the one I have sucks so much. I didn't know my Phenom would bottleneck so hard my GPU. Logical Increments says Phenom don't bottleneck GPU's until 80-90 fps (In WoW).

What? Too low of a resolution? Monitor is 6 years old...

I hope you're upgrading the PSU as well?

You do know that a 6 year old PSU is no good?

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

I hope you're upgrading the PSU as well?

You do know that a 6 year old PSU is no good?

I bought a couple months ago a EVGA 850 B2, should be plenty even for R9 390 CF

I bought a couple months ago a EVGA 850 B2, should be plenty even for R9 390 CF

yes, in that case you're set

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

yes, in that case you're set

Thanks for your help! I also bought a C70 to have everything fit smoothly, and ssd and a H60 where also bought to have my old computer survive a little longer haha