Minimum Operating Wattage: r9 290

FAQBytes

I'm in a little bit of a predicament. I'm trying to convince my father, a software developer, to upgrade GPUs from his currently installed Nvidia gt 9300 and Nvidia Ion 2 (Desktop Dedicated version). However, he is using a small power supply as well (400w). For my own personal desktop computer that I am building I will be getting r9 290s (X-Fire) to get the best $/fps trade-off (I can get 2 for $450). I will be piece-picking to get the absolute best price possible for my next build (will be building my own case for about $60 USD.).

So here is my question. Is it possible to 'underclock'the GPU to stay below ~200 watts MAX? I'm hoping this is physically possible, as it would give a much better experience than with the current GPUs. (He has an Intel i7 that I have tested to stay around ~95 watts under a simulated 'gaming load'. While that does leave 305 watts for everything else, I am not comfortable leaving a fully powered 290 in there even though I know for a fact the max stress put on it would be perhaps my brother playing Minecraft.

In the end I will suggest to him up a 750ti (can get for $120), I just need to convince him that it is worth the effort of watching me take apart and reassemble the computer and I think the aspect of a new PSU will just be a deal-breaker.

If this is impossible, I hope he gets tired of it soon enough and just upgrades to prevent frustration. (he runs a tri-1080p workstation which is why something as high as a 750 or 270 is necessary)

I thank you all for reading my absurd post which will probably be impossible to do in the end.

(Posted on my OPO, so ignore any keyboard bumps)

COMPUTER: Mobile Battlestation  |  CPU: INTEL I7-8700k |  Motherboard: Asus z370-i Strix Gaming  | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW ACX 3.0 | Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken 2 Rev. b |  PSU: Corsair SF600 | HDD: Samsung 860 evo 1tb

If that's the case undervolting with MSI afterburner should be enough considering both parts draw less than what yours does.

COMPUTER: Mobile Battlestation  |  CPU: INTEL I7-8700k |  Motherboard: Asus z370-i Strix Gaming  | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW ACX 3.0 | Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken 2 Rev. b |  PSU: Corsair SF600 | HDD: Samsung 860 evo 1tb

and our cards are essentially the same in terms of power draw. What CPU would be used on the system? My 3930k has a TDP of 130 watts which is quite a bit.

Edit: Just saw the 95w draw on the OP. 400 watts will probably be pushing it, but keep in mind that my 400w average is during folding. Right now I am hosting a minecraft server (no games running though) and my power draw is only 180w.

Normally I'd never even think about doing what I am proposing. It makes my skin crawl even thinking about it. For my build I will be using at least an 850w PSU with an i5-6600k (eventually 2 290s). It is only a temporary thing to allow him to see what he is missing which is why I am considering it. FAH is crazy on any device, so only 400 watts draw is actually spectacular as there will be nothing nearly as demanding as that that my father will be doing. Thank you.

Normally I'd never even think about doing what I am proposing. It makes my skin crawl even thinking about it. For my build I will be using at least an 850w PSU with an i5-6600k (eventually 2 290s). It is only a temporary thing to allow him to see what he is missing which is why I am considering it. FAH is crazy on any device, so only 400 watts draw is actually spectacular as there will be nothing nearly as demanding as that that my father will be doing. Thank you.

Happy to help! ya, I have run an HD7970 off of a 250w PSU before. Was it happy running it? no. Was it stable? surprisingly yes! the 12v rail dropped to 11.3 under full load but the card didnt seem to care. and thats a 300w TDP card!