Jekyll/Flat File Web Development for Clients?

Hiya,

I am wondering if any of you develop websites for clients using Jekyll or other forms of flat file websites and, if so, how you handle content management for clients to easily edit the content of the site? Since there is no CMS, the client basically either has to understand html/markdown, the structure of the site, and how to use Jekyll - which a vast majority of people don't want to learn.

The speed advantages of flat file sites is incredible, and can save the client a lot of money by not having to host on gargantuanly priced servers.

Is it better to just go for Wordpress theme development?

Thanks

I use a Lenovo T440: i5 4300U, 8GB RAM, 128GB Samsung 840 Evo, 14" 900p display and an external 23" 1080p passive 3D monitor. Extended 6-cell battery with internal 3-cell. Ubuntu 14.04 LTS (I only use open-source software -- haven't paid for a single program yet).

Is it better to just go for Wordpress theme development?

Probably not, although I'm guessing it's certainly a more lucrative field.

I would argue that most of the WordPress sites on the internet don't actually need to run such a powerful web app. Businesses use WP because it's easy to get up and running; you can sign up for a $5 web host, get a free domain, and easily deploy a WP instance in a few button clicks. The problem with that is, it doesn't scale (it won't handle an influx of users, and it will get become more expensive, as you mentioned, if they decide to move to their own servers) and it's unnecessary. Most of these WP sites don't actually have any dynamic content that can't be emulated by a static site generator like Jekyll.

So unless a client needs a feature that absolutely can't be accomplished without an application like WP, go with Jekyll. You'll be saving yourself a few headaches in the long run (not having to maintain a full-blown application) and your clients will spend less money to be able to reach more people. They'll be able to throw the site up onto AWS S3, cache it with CloudFront, and not worry about security issues or (for any random reason) a sudden spur of traffic.

As for content management by your clients, if you're really dedicated to this, spend some time building an administrative interface for the site. Features like a WYSIWYG editor that translates to Markdown. There are open-source projects that accomplish this, which you'll find by searching something like "jekyll admin" on Google. Take a look at this, I personally haven't used any of them though.