980Ti underperforming?

Xploda

Ya its a diffference yes, but you have a realy fast card, even when Customs are faster. So just enjoy it ;)

Yep, it's still flying, although 8x MSAA on GTA 5 seems to kinda kill it on full hd already (anywhere between 45-65 fps, but it's not really consistent). If I set it to 4x, I'm getting around 80-85fps at times. 8x is probably really unnecessary, just tried it for the sake of it  :D . Other than that, it's keeping up quite well, but I think I will put it on a custom fan profile nevertheless, because that keeps it at its steady max boost clock, instead of falling back to 1000MHz at times. It's a little louder, but running it at 70-75°C is probably a little better towards longevity as well?

As for the framerates I'm getting, I think I was being influenced by this guy's vids: 

As you can see in the overlay on the left, he's running at above 1400MHz, so it's probably a card of the likes of the card you have  :) . I wasn't really aware of the differences with this gen's custom cards, but thanks for pointing out where the gap could be found. All in all, I can live with that, cause those cards come in at a much higher price point.

Yep, it's still flying, although 8x MSAA on GTA 5 seems to kinda kill it on full hd already (anywhere between 45-65 fps, but it's not really consistent). If I set it to 4x, I'm getting around 80-85fps at times. 8x is probably really unnecessary, just tried it for the sake of it  :D . Other than that, it's keeping up quite well, but I think I will put it on a custom fan profile nevertheless, because that keeps it at its steady max boost clock, instead of falling back to 1000MHz at times. It's a little louder, but running it at 70-75°C is probably a little better towards longevity as well?

As for the framerates I'm getting, I think I was being influenced by this guy's vids: 

As you can see in the overlay on the left, he's running at above 1400MHz, so it's probably a card of the likes of the card you have  :) . I wasn't really aware of the differences with this gen's custom cards, but thanks for pointing out where the gap could be found. All in all, I can live with that, cause those cards come in at a much higher price point.

GTA5 Frames are flying all over the Place, no matter what Card you have.

You could put a Waterblock on your Card if you like.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

With these 9xx series cards usually the only way to get past the TDP and voltage walls is by going into the bios, they are designed to throttle that is why it is called a 'boost clock'. VREL is likely due to you hitting the max voltage as set in your cards BIOS. 

Other brands like MSI, ASUS, Gigabyte etc have modded BIOS' which attempt to curtail the throttling by using different voltages for the respective clock states while balancing TDP and the thermal aspect of all those not investing in water cooling solutions.

This is why we are getting out of the box water cooled 980ti's with boost clocks way up in the high 1400's, once thermal limit is dealt with the next limitation really only is TDP and the quality of VRM's used (hence why some brands upgrade these parts as well)

MY RIG- I call it the millennium falcon “she doesn’t look like much but she’s got it where it counts kid”

CoolerMaster HAFX, ASUS Maximus Ranger vii, Intel i-5 4690k @4.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, Reference GTX1080, 480GB SSD, Corsair RM850W. . Cooling- Corsair H60 w Noctua NF-F12, EK DBay res/pump combo, EK-FC1080FE block, 360mm radiator, 3x Noctua industrial 2000rpm fans. . Displays- LGOLED55B7V, ACER KG241. Peripherals- Corsair M65, Roccat RYOS MK-PRO, Logitech G633, Logitech G920

Windows 10 right now is in a shitty state. Alongside Nvidia's drivers for it.

I'm running Windows 10 on my build below and it's running at 1507 boost, 67C max.

@op what's your case airflow like? What fans, where, what speed?

That sounds like its the issue.

Also @op. Just so you know later, custom cards are always worth it unless running sli or in an itx case.

I paid less than 10 dollars over reference for my non-reference at newegg.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

I'm running Windows 10 on my build below and it's running at 1507 boost, 67C max.

@op what's your case airflow like? What fans, where, what speed?

That sounds like its the issue.

Also @op. Just so you know later, custom cards are always worth it unless running sli or in an itx case.

I paid less than 10 dollars over reference for my non-reference at newegg.

I have a Corsair Carbide Air 540, but I don't think that's really the issue, as the other components seem to run pretty cool. My last card was a non-reference card, but this time around I didn't pay that much attention to buying a reference or non-reference card. Seems like this sample isn't that great either, if we can rely upon the asic score that gpu-z gives to it.

Edit: which specific card are you using?

I have a Corsair Carbide Air 540, but I don't think that's really the issue, as the other components seem to run pretty cool. My last card was a non-reference card, but this time around I didn't pay that much attention to buying a reference or non-reference card. Seems like this sample isn't that great either, if we can rely upon the asic score that gpu-z gives to it.

Edit: which specific card are you using?

Msi gaming 980ti 6g. ASIC is only 67.8%

What fans do you have and where?

I have well over 500 CFM of fan airflow in my case.

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

Msi gaming 980ti 6g. ASIC is only 67.8%

What fans do you have and where?

I have well over 500 CFM of fan airflow in my case.

The fan layout has been left as the case is by default, 2 front intake fans and fan at the back. Should I RMA this card?

The fan layout has been left as the case is by default, 2 front intake fans and fan at the back. Should I RMA this card?

The shitty defaults it comes with i assume?

I mean me personally I'd buy some nice fans first. Fill up the slots with actually decent fans, see what the temp difference is then decide to rma or not.

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

The shitty defaults it comes with i assume?

I mean me personally I'd buy some nice fans first. Fill up the slots with actually decent fans, see what the temp difference is then decide to rma or not.

Coming out of the back it's basically cold air, and my CPU is not going over 60°C as well on stock clocks (6700K with Noctua NH-D15). Personally I don't think this is related, but thanks for the input. The only thing that's really toasty at the back of the PC, is the graphics card throwing out its hot air.

It would be nice if anyone could share their personal experience with the 980Ti. Is anyone seeing this same kind of behaviour in gpu-z? What kind of boost clocks should normally be expected?

The reference cards are going to get up to their temp limit and then adjust their boost clock accordingly.  As long as its above its 1075 rated boost clock there is nothing wrong with the card.  If you want higher boost clocks use afterburner and up the temp target a few degrees and up the power limit to 110% then make the temp target the priority.  should help you out.

I have two reference 980ti's and both are overclocked +250 core and maintain boost @ 1400 mhz under load with 86C temp target.  Top card fan gets up to around 60%, bottom card fan gets up to 45%

68%top  85% bottom asic scores.

Mothership - 3770k @ 4.5 - 980ti SLI - Z77UD5

Protégé - FX8350 @ 4.8 - Fury X - CHVFZ

The reference cards are going to get up to their temp limit and then adjust their boost clock accordingly.  As long as its above its 1075 rated boost clock there is nothing wrong with the card.  If you want higher boost clocks use afterburner and up the temp target a few degrees and up the power limit to 110% then make the temp target the priority.  should help you out.

I have two reference 980ti's and both are overclocked +250 core and maintain boost @ 1400 mhz under load with 86C temp target.  Top card fan gets up to around 60%, bottom card fan gets up to 45%

I guess this ASIC quality should be taken with a grain of salt. I have seen a lot of cards that have a higher percentage than mine, but also a few that come close. As you have just proven, this doesn't seem to make a big difference. 

Does this mean that you reached these overclocks on stock voltage?

I guess this ASIC quality should be taken with a grain of salt. I have seen a lot of cards that have a higher percentage than mine, but also a few that come close. As you have just proven, this doesn't seem to make a big difference. 

Does this mean that you reached these overclocks on stock voltage?

Correct.  no overvoltage

I'm getting 62.6% in gpu-z, is this within margin?

EDIT: is this a number which is really significant and which has been proven reliable in the past as a measurement?

that is a bad asic... i got 70% on my 980ti

Hi all,

I bought the reference design of the GTX 980Ti a couple of days ago (MSI branded: http://www.msi.com/product/vga/GTX-980Ti-6GD5.html#hero-overview), and I have a few assumptions that the card seems to be underperforming in comparison to other 980Ti cards. It seems to be doing its 83°C thing, while only keeping the fan at 45% speed. Why is the card running so hot while it has plenty of headroom left in terms of fan speed? In gpu-z, I often see that it's perfcapped because of thermal reasons or otherwise vrel (reliability voltage). My concerns started rising after I saw the card was sort of underperforming in Firestrike and the GTA 5 benchmark in comparison to some other 980Tis (about 10fps less in the latter).

The first reason seems obvious, so my solution was to set a custom fan profile in afterburner. This got me to a boost clock that was a liiiiittle higher than before, but I'm still not sure if it's at its full performance yet (highest I've seen is 1164MHz core clock).

I have attached 2 logs to this post (from gpu-z), one without custom fan profile and one with custom fan profile, both running 3Dmark Firestrike. I'm not sure why, but it also says that TDP is not at 100%. Is it supposed to be like that?

- Default fan speed: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxGZYrO_qlnebHFnTEV2SHZ3Q0k/view?usp=sharing

- Custom fan profile: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxGZYrO_qlneNjNCUXlwU3BDeTA/view?usp=sharing

Take a close look at the perfcap column. As soon as it contains the number "2", it means that it's hitting the temperature cap. When it contains the number "4", it's referring to reliability voltage. So, with the custom fan profile: thermal issue solved. What about the reliability voltage?

This is the Firestrike score I got with my custom fan profile, as far as this benchmark is representative (as it's not even consistent for me between two runs). The highest I got was just 200 points higher than this: http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/8337390 .

All in all, this post might seem like a bunch of assumptions thrown together, but I can't seem to be able to get my head around it. In conclusion I would like to know whether the performance of this card is within what is to be expected. Which boost clocks should I be expecting? Given that this card is not cheap, I want to get the most out of it, while staying away from overclocking it myself. Also, it might clarify if this card is faulty or not (probably not).

Do these figures add up or am I just being paranoid? :)

The rest of the relevant specs might come in handy too:

- i7 6700K (stock clocks)

- 16GB DDR4-2400 Corsair Vengeance LPX

- Asus Maximus VIII Hero motherboard

- Seasonic M12II EVO 850W power supply

Check CPU temps.

that is a bad asic... i got 70% on my 980ti

And means nothing for normal OC.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

And means nothing for normal OC.

in my experience better asic = better oc , but i have only overclocked lke 9 cards

With only a custom fan profile, and without changing any of the clocks and the power limit, this is occuring now as well for the first time (on Project Cars, see screenshot -> green area in perfcap reason field). It's now throttling as a result of too much power draw. Is this to be expected as well when not adjusting the power limit?

It's really weird how these cards handle/balance power, voltage, temperatures, ...

Screen: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxGZYrO_qlnecXdmOEtQMkFIWUk/view?usp=sharing

I'm going to be picking up a 980ti within the next week. Which one did you get?

My Card runs at 1418mhz clockspeed and 1805mhz memory speed (out of the Box). I dont run further OC yet, cause no Reason to do so.

Mine has been clocked at 1612/2075 for the bast week and it's finally stable. Now that the house isn't 95F, it can handle just fine haha. I have a G1.

[spoiler = "My Computer Stuff"]

My ITX:

240 Air ; Z87I-Deluxe ; 4770K ; H100i ; G1 GTX 980TI ; Vengeance Pro 2400MHz (2x8GB) ; 3x 840 EVO (250GB) ; 2x WD Red Pro (4TB) ; RM650 ; 3x Dell U2414H ; G710+ ; G700s ; O2 + ODAC + Q701 ; Yamaha HTR-3066 + 5.1 Pioneer.

Things I Need To Get Off My Shelf:

250D ; 380T ; 800D ; C70 ; i7 920 ; i5 4670K ; Maximus Hero VI ; G.Skill 2133MHz (4x4GB) ; Crucial 2133MHz (2x4GB) ; Patriot 1600MHz (4x4GB) ; HX750 ; CX650M ; 2x WD Red (3TB) ; 5x 840 EVO (250GB) ; H60H100iH100i ; H100i ; VS247H-P ; K70 Reds ; K70 Blues ; K70 RGB Browns ; HD650.

With only a custom fan profile, and without changing any of the clocks and the power limit, this is occuring now as well for the first time (on Project Cars, see screenshot -> green area in perfcap reason field). It's now throttling as a result of too much power draw. Is this to be expected as well when not adjusting the power limit?

It's really weird how these cards handle/balance power, voltage, temperatures, ...

Screen: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxGZYrO_qlnecXdmOEtQMkFIWUk/view?usp=sharing

Probably.  Maxing out the power limit is the first change I make in afterburner.  I've never actually run cards that have a power slider at stock power limit.