Where to find windows key

SkixAces
Go to solution Solved by Naijin,

This will help you find the key easily, or others if you need to.

http://www.howtogeek.com/206329/how-to-find-your-lost-windows-or-office-product-keys/

So I made a topic yesterday about a friends windows 10 which is f*cked up :http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/436709-windows-10-loophole/#entry5854044

And I spoke to him again today (I am going to fix the laptop tomorow) and I asked if he still has the windows key.

He said it used to be on the bottom of the laptop but it has faded away, and is unreadable.

Is there any way to retrieve his windows key by putting the hdd with his broken windows 10 into another pc and then reading it off of it somewhere?

I were going to put the hdd in another pc anyway to retrieve his files which are still on there.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

System: CPU - I5-6500 Motherboard - Asus B150M-A RAM - Crucial ballistix sport 2x4GB DDR4 @2400MHz GPU - RX 480 PSU - Seasonic S12II 520W Case - Aerocool Aero-800 HDD - Seagate 1TB SSD - PNY CS1311 120GB Monitor - AOC G2260VWQ6

Use Speccy software

Intel Core i3 2100 @ 3.10GHz - Intel Stock Cooler - Zotac Geforce GT 610 2GB Synergy Edition

Intel DH61WW - Corsair® Value Select 4GBx1 DDR3 1600 MHz - Antec BP-300P PSU

WD Green 1TB - Seagate 2.5" HDD 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 500GB - Antec X1 E.

there is a script to type into notepad for this.

i'll post it below, you save it as a .vbs and run it, it will display the system key on the OS that is running

Set WshShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")

MsgBox ConvertToKey(WshShell.RegRead("HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\DigitalProductId"))

Function ConvertToKey(Key)

Const KeyOffset = 52

i = 28

Chars = "BCDFGHJKMPQRTVWXY2346789"

Do

Cur = 0

x = 14

Do

Cur = Cur * 256

Cur = Key(x + KeyOffset) + Cur

Key(x + KeyOffset) = (Cur \ 24) And 255

Cur = Cur Mod 24

x = x -1

Loop While x >= 0

i = i -1

KeyOutput = Mid(Chars, Cur + 1, 1) & KeyOutput

If (((29 - i) Mod 6) = 0) And (i <> -1) Then

i = i -1

KeyOutput = "-" & KeyOutput

End If

Loop While i >= 0

ConvertToKey = KeyOutput

End Function

But the os isnt running. The os on the hdd is broken so I want to put it into a different pc as a secondary hdd to copy all his files, and potentionally read his windows key, if possible

System: CPU - I5-6500 Motherboard - Asus B150M-A RAM - Crucial ballistix sport 2x4GB DDR4 @2400MHz GPU - RX 480 PSU - Seasonic S12II 520W Case - Aerocool Aero-800 HDD - Seagate 1TB SSD - PNY CS1311 120GB Monitor - AOC G2260VWQ6

This will help you find the key easily, or others if you need to.

http://www.howtogeek.com/206329/how-to-find-your-lost-windows-or-office-product-keys/

Thanks, I found my anwser on that site.

If you want to recover a key from a dead computer, you can hook up the hard drive to a working pc, and then run ProduKey and use File -> Select Source to point to the external Windows directory. You can then grab the keys from that computer easily."