WIN10 upgrade help

LightCode Gaming

How do I do the upgrade such that it installs to a separate drive than the one that I have Win8.1 on? I tried doing a media version from their website but that doesn't work due to not accepting the product key. I talked to customer support and they said I had to do it from the windows Icon...

GIGABYTE Z97MX-G516GB DDR3 | I5 4690k @ 4.4ghz | 1TB SSHD, 500GB HDD, 128GB SSD | GTX 1070 8GB | Corsair Graphite 230 | EVGA 650W | Hyper 212 EVO

Cinebench R15: 636(all cores), 127FPS

The first time you install Windows 10 you need to perform an upgrade install from Within your already running Windows 8.1 install to register your key as a Windows 10 key. However you do have the option to revert back to your previous install at any time if you dont like it ( I assume this is why you want it on another drive)

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

How do I do the upgrade such that it installs to a separate drive than the one that I have Win8.1 on? I tried doing a media version from their website but that doesn't work due to not accepting the product key. I talked to customer support and they said I had to do it from the windows Icon...

Are you wanting to dual boot 10 and 8.1?

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Event Viewer 101: https://youtu.be/GiF9N3fJbnE

Are you wanting to dual boot 10 and 8.1?

No; I'm trying to get win10 on my SSD; my 8.1 came on a SSHD to start with...

GIGABYTE Z97MX-G516GB DDR3 | I5 4690k @ 4.4ghz | 1TB SSHD, 500GB HDD, 128GB SSD | GTX 1070 8GB | Corsair Graphite 230 | EVGA 650W | Hyper 212 EVO

The first time you install Windows 10 you need to perform an upgrade install from Within your already running Windows 8.1 install to register your key as a Windows 10 key. However you do have the option to revert back to your previous install at any time if you dont like it ( I assume this is why you want it on another drive)

Well its currently on my SSHD (8gb/1tb) and i want it on my 128GB SSD.

Did the upgrade without an option to put it on another drive... So all I need to do is get a product key from it and I can get it to work on my SSD if it's already installed on it?

then why don't you just do a clean install?

No; I'm trying to get win10 on my SSD; my 8.1 came on a SSHD to start with...

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Event Viewer 101: https://youtu.be/GiF9N3fJbnE

then why don't you just do a clean install?

I don't have a product key; I only have the free-upgrade that they gave. But they don't give an option for clean-install. I did a clean install on my SSD, but I don't have a key. 

Just upgrade to Windows 10 on that SSHD.

Then make sure it's activated.

After all that process, Clean Install Windows 10 on SSD.

Intel Core i3 2100 @ 3.10GHz - Intel Stock Cooler - Zotac Geforce GT 610 2GB Synergy Edition

Intel DH61WW - Corsair® Value Select 4GBx1 DDR3 1600 MHz - Antec BP-300P PSU

WD Green 1TB - Seagate 2.5" HDD 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 500GB - Antec X1 E.

I don't have a product key; I only have the free-upgrade that they gave. But they don't give an option for clean-install. I did a clean install on my SSD, but I don't have a key. 

Use Speccy software to see your Windows key.

Intel Core i3 2100 @ 3.10GHz - Intel Stock Cooler - Zotac Geforce GT 610 2GB Synergy Edition

Just upgrade to Windows 10 on that SSHD.

Then make sure it's activated.

After all that process, Clean Install Windows 10 on SSD.

How do I do the clean install? Or can I just snag the key from my SSHD and transfer it over, then wipe my SSHD?

How do I do the clean install? Or can I just snag the key from my SSHD and transfer it over, then wipe my SSHD?

As I said before, Use Speccy software to get the current Windows key.

Then Download the correct Windows ISO from this site http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Then upgrade to Windows 10 on that SSHD using that ISO(You won't need a key for upgrade process).

Either burn it to some DVD or copy the ISO content to USB.

Use it for upgrade process.

After that, You'll have Windows 10 upgraded. Then go to Start-->Settings-->Update & Security-->Activation. Make sure it says Windows Activated.

Once you upgraded to Windows 10, they key will be attached to your Microsoft account. 

And then remove that SSHD ( trust me, remove it. Or you'll have the bootloader installed on it)

Then proceed with Fresh installation on that SSD.

While performing OS installation, It'll ask the key for 2 times, At the time of installation and at the time of setting up profiles and preferences.

I ignored both of them and just used Local account instead of Microsoft account. And then I connected Internet.

It didn't even asked me for the key. It fetched the key from motherboard.

Well its currently on my SSHD (8gb/1tb) and i want it on my 128GB SSD.

Did the upgrade without an option to put it on another drive... So all I need to do is get a product key from it and I can get it to work on my SSD if it's already installed on it?

If you have already performed the upgrade from Windows 8.1 > Windows 10 using your product key then yes you can pull out your SSHD and install a Fresh Windows 10 onto your SSD and phone activate the key (start > run >slui.exe 4). You will have to choose between one or the other as they wont both stay genuine activated.

Alternatively you can always clone from your SSHD to your SSD using software like Arconis true image.

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

As I said before, Use Speccy software to get the current Windows key.

Then Download the correct Windows ISO from this site http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Then upgrade to Windows 10 on that SSHD using that ISO(You won't need a key for upgrade process).

Either burn it to some DVD or copy the ISO content to USB.

Use it for upgrade process.

After that, You'll have Windows 10 upgraded. Then go to Start-->Settings-->Update & Security-->Activation. Make sure it says Windows Activated.

Once you upgraded to Windows 10, they key will be attached to your Microsoft account. 

And then remove that SSHD ( trust me, remove it. Or you'll have the bootloader installed on it)

Then proceed with Fresh installation on that SSD.

While performing OS installation, It'll ask the key for 2 times, At the time of installation and at the time of setting up profiles and preferences.

I ignored both of them and just used Local account instead of Microsoft account. And then I connected Internet.

It didn't even asked me for the key. It fetched the key from motherboard.

If I have it already installed on the SSD, couldn't I just connect my MS account and have it transfer over?

If you have already performed the upgrade from Windows 8.1 > Windows 10 using your product key then yes you can pull out your SSHD and install a Fresh Windows 10 onto your SSD and phone activate the key (start > run >slui.exe 4). You will have to choose between one or the other as they wont both stay genuine activated.

Alternatively you can always clone from your SSHD to your SSD using software like Arconis true image.

Problem is I have a 1TB sshd and a 128GB ssd...

If I have it already installed on the SSD, couldn't I just connect my MS account and have it transfer over?

No such way.

First perform upgrade then only clean installation for correct activation procedure.

No such way.

First perform upgrade then only clean installation for correct activation procedure.

Ok. So I want to make sure i have this right:

1)Update the SSHD to 10

2)Snag the key

3)Get the win10 media on a USB

4)Disconnect the SSHD

5)Install on SSD

6)Connect MC account

Done?

Ok. So I want to make sure i have this right:

1)Update the SSHD to 10

2)Snag the key

3)Get the win10 media on a USB

4)Disconnect the SSHD

5)Install on SSD

6)Connect MC account

Done?

You don't need key man.

Just skip while on Clean Installation.

You don't need key man.

Just skip while on Clean Installation.

So all I need to do is connect my MS account?

So all I need to do is connect my MS account?

Try typing key that obtained from Speccy on Upgraded Windows 10 that you did on SSHD.

Try typing key that obtained from Speccy on Upgraded Windows 10 that you did on SSHD.

I'll try asap; I have a lot going on for the next few days.