What PSU do I need

MatthewLynch

Hi, I am calculating how much power will my new pc consume and that way choose the right PSU. I have calculated around 600W. But I don't know what to buy, because I would like to put two GPU on my pc on crossfire but currently don't have the money for the second GPU. If I buy a 1000W PSU so it is ready for crossfire, will it affect the performance of my computer when I have only one GPU and it consumes around 600W?

Thanks

There won't be any performance differences that will negatively impact your rig with an overkill PSU

Adobe Photoshop Graphic Artist and PC Building Enthusiast

Corsair 750D | I7 4770 | Aorus Waterblocked 1080ti | z97A Gaming 7 MSI | EVGA supernova 750 G2 Gold | 900P 280Gb 256GB 850PRO 128 GB 850 EVO| 32GB Corsair Vengeance (4x8GB) | Logitech g502 mouse | Corsair K70 Cherry-MX Brown | Full Custom Water Cooling Loop |

tell us full specs , we cant know what gpu you wanna crossfire and with what cpu etc

CPU: Intel i7 8700k    MB: Gigabyte Z390    RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB     GPU: GTX 1070 Ti 8GB

tell us full specs , we cant know what gpu you wanna crossfire and with what cpu etc

My CPU i5-6600K and GPU MSI R9 390

^

Also, there isn't a single gpu that should consume 600w. 

My CPU i5-6600K and GPU MSI R9 390

That should only draw ~400w at load. 

A decent 550w would be more than enough.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

What parts are you planning to get? you don't need anywhere near 1000w for two way crossfire.

I thought of 1000W since I read that they recommend a 400W for the MSI r9 390. although it says power consumption is 275W it reaches higher peaks 

i got like the same , 600w is good i think , i overkilled mine with 980watt so , dont be like me :D 

CPU: Intel i7 8700k    MB: Gigabyte Z390    RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB     GPU: GTX 1070 Ti 8GB

A good 850W PSU should work fine for 2x 390s you don't need anywhere near 1000w for two way crossfire.

Thank you, I'll go for a 800W then

I thought of 1000W since I read that they recommend a 400W for the MSI r9 390. although it says power consumption is 275W it reaches higher peaks 

The 400Ws is an estimate for the power draw of the whole PC not just the GPU.