Unknown hardware error causing random freeze, software diagnosis?

TeamTactical

For the past few months, my computer has been randomly freezing and requiring a forced restart. This has persisted between multiple installs of Windows 7 and Windows 10.

I'm wondering which software utilities I can use to try to find which hardware component has the error? Cheers.

For the past few months, my computer has been randomly freezing and requiring a forced restart. This has persisted between multiple installs of Windows 7 and Windows 10.

I'm wondering which software utilities I can use to try to find which hardware component has the error? Cheers.

Well first run Prime95 24 hours to check cpu defects

Then, run memtes86 for 48 hours to check for ram defects

then, run HD Tune for a full 7 hour hard drive check

Remove any other unecessary hardware. TV Cards, external audio cards, DAC's, network drives etc.

Alternatevly, install Linux and wait for a kernel panic and search for the error, like this one

Ubuntu_13.04_VirtualBox_Kernel_Panic.png

Primary: Lenovo T61 / Intel Core2Duo T7200 @ 2.2GHz / 3GB DDR2 / NVIDIA Quadro NVS 140M / Fedora 22 <<<< THE WHITE KNIGHT

Secondary: Compaq Presario CQ56 / AMD V130 @ 2.3GHz / 2GB DDR3 / AMD Radeon HD 4250 / Windows 8.1 <<< THE FORGOTTEN HERO

Well first run Prime95 24 hours to check cpu defects

Then, run memtes86 for 48 hours to check for ram defects

then, run HD Tune for a full 7 hour hard drive check

Remove any other unecessary hardware. TV Cards, external audio cards, DAC's, network drives etc.

Do i need to dedicate the whole PC to prime95 and memtest86?

The counter strike ESL One comp is on, is watching a stream in the browser okay while I do the tests?

Do i need to dedicate the whole PC to prime95 and memtest86?

The counter strike ESL One comp is on, is watching a stream in the browser okay while I do the tests?

No problem if your PC can handle that. Watch it on a phone.

Primary: Lenovo T61 / Intel Core2Duo T7200 @ 2.2GHz / 3GB DDR2 / NVIDIA Quadro NVS 140M / Fedora 22 <<<< THE WHITE KNIGHT

Secondary: Compaq Presario CQ56 / AMD V130 @ 2.3GHz / 2GB DDR3 / AMD Radeon HD 4250 / Windows 8.1 <<< THE FORGOTTEN HERO

Could be the power suply. My pc had a similar isue. After 20-30 min after first boot it would freeze. After a restart 10 minutes, and then shorter and shorter. Then I figured out that the power suply was hotter than before.

No problem if your PC can handle that. Watch it on a phone.

Yeah I'll give it a go and if I have any problems I'll watch it on my laptop. Cheers a bunch for the suggestions so far. Can I use linux to search for the errors in a Virtual Machine, or should I use a boot USB? What's the process for finding the errors? I assume a crash log?

Yeah I'll give it a go and if I have any problems I'll watch it on my laptop. Cheers a bunch for the suggestions so far. Can I use linux to search for the errors in a Virtual Machine, or should I use a boot USB? What's the process for finding the errors? I assume a crash log?

Just boot it from the USB and  use it, actually you can watch the stream on it, and if it detects a problem with your hardware it will crash with a message as above.