Is it Possible to Format Drive C?

MeesterJackson
Go to solution Solved by MeesterJackson,

You should be able to reuse the same key on the same computer (different drive). You don't need to remove the old OS, simply disconnect the drive from the computer while you are installing the new OS on the other drive and then reconnect it and delete the old OS's partitions. You would need to reinstall all the applications and games due to the registry.

Captain_WD.

Actually, I just went into the command prompt and uninstalled the product key. A friend of mines who's good with PC's was online so I asked him. 

Ok what I'm basically trying to do is format my Laptop's HDD and remove Windows off of it. That way when I put the new HDD in and use the USB drive to install Windows 8.1 on the new computer I can just reuse the older/original code without having to buy a new one. 

Because If I uninstall Windows 8.1 off of this computer it basically will realize that the original code (product key) wasn't used, so I can just use it again on the newer HDD. 

Why not just do a clean install and delete the existing partitions?

Spoiler

-

CPU:Ryzen 9 5900X GPU: Asus GTX 1080ti Strix MB: Asus Crosshair Viii Hero RAM: G.Skill Trident Neo CPU Cooler: Corsair H110

just fresh install and use the code,

windows will activate the new Install and un-Genuine the old install

no need to uninstall from old HDD

"Life's too Short, Use Express Install" Express install subject to spying
                                        -Microsoft 2015

Why not just do a clean install and delete the existing partitions?

just fresh install and use the code,

windows will activate the new Install and un-Genuine the old install

no need to uninstall from old HDD

Are you both referring to going into System Recovery and picking the 2nd option that says "Chose this option if you plan on Recycling the PC"? Because I did that already. 

Are you both referring to going into System Recovery and picking the 2nd option that says "Chose this option if you plan on Recycling the PC"? Because I did that already. 

what I mean is just boot off of the USB that has Windows 8.1 and select install windows and then delete the existing version from there and that will create a clean install.

Spoiler

-

CPU:Ryzen 9 5900X GPU: Asus GTX 1080ti Strix MB: Asus Crosshair Viii Hero RAM: G.Skill Trident Neo CPU Cooler: Corsair H110

what I mean is just boot off of the USB that has Windows 8.1 and select install windows and then delete the existing version from there and that will create a clean install.

As Above

"Life's too Short, Use Express Install" Express install subject to spying
                                        -Microsoft 2015

Ok what I'm basically trying to do is format my Laptop's HDD and remove Windows off of it. That way when I put the new HDD in and use the USB drive to install Windows 8.1 on the new computer I can just reuse the older/original code without having to buy a new one. 

Because If I uninstall Windows 8.1 off of this computer it basically will realize that the original code (product key) wasn't used, so I can just use it again on the newer HDD. 

Hey there,

I would also suggest that you should simply boot off the USB and do a fresh install of the OS. The installer gives you options to format/delete partitions so you can get rid of the old ones from there before proceeding with the installation of the new ones. Do make sure you back up everything you would like to keep from all partitions that you intend to format as it would delete the partition table and thus make the data invisible and will overwrite it with new one.

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

As Above

Hey there,

I would also suggest that you should simply boot off the USB and do a fresh install of the OS. The installer gives you options to format/delete partitions so you can get rid of the old ones from there before proceeding with the installation of the new ones. Do make sure you back up everything you would like to keep from all partitions that you intend to format as it would delete the partition table and thus make the data invisible and will overwrite it with new one.

Captain_WD.

Oh I think you all misread that. I'm not using the same HDD. Like I tried to say, I'm doing a HDD swap. The old HDD with Windows on it isn't going to be there anymore. 

What I'm trying to do is: 

Step 1: Remove Windows from the current drive so I can reuse it's product key. 

Step 2: Put the new drive in. 

Step 3: Boot from USB flash drive and install new copy of Windows.

Step 4: Reuse the old code/product key from the older HDD. 

Can I do all of that? Or is Windows actually connected to the Laptop and not the current HDD that's in it that I'm trying to replace? 

PS: I like Desktops more than Laptops lol. Not exactly a pro at tinkering with them. ^^; 

~snip~

You should be able to reuse the same key on the same computer (different drive). You don't need to remove the old OS, simply disconnect the drive from the computer while you are installing the new OS on the other drive and then reconnect it and delete the old OS's partitions. You would need to reinstall all the applications and games due to the registry.

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

Captain_WD.

Actually, I just went into the command prompt and uninstalled the product key. A friend of mines who's good with PC's was online so I asked him.