Rip Win 7 off old pc?

NL_300
Go to solution Solved by JefferyD90,

Run Windows on my mac in dual boot. I'd rather use an old copy than buy a new version if this is legal.

All legal issues aside, I think you're asking to just "Copy/paste" the data on a hard drive over to another computer and expect it to work?

If that is the case, don't do it.  Even if it does work (and the likely hood it would is less than 10% depending on the hardware configuration) you're going to have more headaches than you could possibly imagine.

Can I rip Windows 7 off an old PC, put it on a USB/Drive. Without the original disk or product key.

Can I rip Windows 7 off an old PC, put it on a USB/Drive. Without the original disk or product key.

What are you wanting to do now?

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Event Viewer 101: https://youtu.be/GiF9N3fJbnE

What are you wanting to do now?

Run Windows on my mac in dual boot. I'd rather use an old copy than buy a new version if this is legal.

Not possible if it came with your PC.

Intel Core i3 2100 @ 3.10GHz - Intel Stock Cooler - Zotac Geforce GT 610 2GB Synergy Edition

Intel DH61WW - Corsair® Value Select 4GBx1 DDR3 1600 MHz - Antec BP-300P PSU

WD Green 1TB - Seagate 2.5" HDD 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 500GB - Antec X1 E.

All legal issues aside, I think you're asking to just "Copy/paste" the data on a hard drive over to another computer and expect it to work?

If that is the case, don't do it.  Even if it does work (and the likely hood it would is less than 10% depending on the hardware configuration) you're going to have more headaches than you could possibly imagine.

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Event Viewer 101: https://youtu.be/GiF9N3fJbnE

Okay thanks for the advise, I'll just buy a new version of windows if I procceed to do this.

Okay thanks for the advise, I'll just buy a new version of windows if I procceed to do this.

DO NOT buy a Windows license for now.

You DON'T need license for installation and 30 days after that... 

If you succeed to achieve dual boot (I really doubt it) with OS X and Windows you always CAN buy a Windows key... You have in fact 30-days test period with Windows- use it and buy a key if you need it... 

English is not my maternal language, so don't mind my mistakes... 

DO NOT buy a Windows license for now.

You DON'T need license for installation and 30 days after that... 

If you succeed to achieve dual boot (I really doubt it) with OS X and Windows you always CAN buy a Windows key... You have in fact 30-days test period with Windows- use it and buy a key if you need it... 

I was going to do that, thanks anyway.