SSD EXTERNAL DRIVE

donsleeq

i was I was wondering if it would be possible to buy an SSD and then buy an external hard drive case then place the SSD in it so I use it as an external hard drive. Is there any other way I can do this?

i was I was wondering if it would be possible to buy an SSD and then buy an external hard drive case then place the SSD in it so I use it as an external hard drive. Is there any other way I can do this?

You basically answered your own question. Yes it's completely possible, SSDs will work in 2.5" SATA enclosures designed for 2.5" HDDs. You can also use one of those USB 3.0 to SATA adapters that are used for cloning drives. However make sure it's USB 3.0 (or 3.1) and not 2.0, since USB 2.0 will heavily bottleneck pretty much any SSD.

ms16p-usb3.0.jpg

"Rawr XD"

You basically answered your own question. 

Don't you love it when that happens?

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

You basically answered your own question. Yes it's completely possible, SSDs will work in 2.5" SATA enclosures designed for 2.5" HDDs. You can also use one of those USB 3.0 to SATA adapters that are used for cloning drives. However make sure it's USB 3.0 (or 3.1) and not 2.0, since USB 2.0 will heavily bottleneck pretty much any SSD.

ms16p-usb3.0.jpg

but what kind of performance loss will i get using an ssd on usb 3.. wont it bottleneck at?

or usb can handle the speeds of ssds.. like 500mbs reads and writes

but what kind of performance loss will i get using an ssd on usb 3.. wont it bottleneck at?

or usb can handle the speeds of ssds.. like 500mbs reads and writes

USB 3.0 tops out at around 625MB/s, so it will easily be able to handle mainstream SSDs without bottlenecking.

"Rawr XD"

USB 3.0 tops out at around 625MB/s, so it will easily be able to handle mainstream SSDs without bottlenecking.

but wont it run faster on sata 3 connection than usb.. seen an ssd review that said that

but wont it run faster on sata 3 connection than usb.. seen an ssd review that said that

Depends. If the SSD can exceed 625MB/s then yes, but not many SSDs do, and even if yours did it will only be by a slight amount and you won't notice the difference.

"Rawr XD"