Boot SSD RAID0 Suggestions

JaredB

I'm building my first PC in the near future, and I am going to be using 2 SSDs set up in raid 0 as my boot drive, with a HDD as a 2nd drive, and for size they will each be ~256GB for a total boot drive of ~512GB.

What I want to know are suggestions for SSDs that I should buy, I know there are many brands and types, but I want some suggestions of what I should look into. I don't really care about cost at this point, so I wont base anything on that.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

First off - I wouldn't do the SSD RAID0 boot. Why? Performance - almost no noticable difference for you. RAID0 SSD is more for extreme benchmarking. RAID0 also inceases chance of failure. I would say you should get one 480ish SSD which typically has better performance then 240ish drives. Most of the top brands at this level are good, OCZ, Intel, Kingston, Corsair, etc.

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

If your'e going raid0 for a speedy boot up, the time spent for your raid0 to initialize will take more time than a single ssd boot time.

If you need 512GB, get a 512GB. Then in the future you can just get another 512GB and raid that :P

I have tried raid 0 for booting and it the biggest pain in the ass I have ever dealt with. What I ended up doing was taking my original caching ssd which had like 29.something gigs of free space and installing windows on that and using the raid array for all of my other programs. I can vouch and say that the boot times are not any different compared to the raid 0 array and you won't have a ton of problems with the alignments or files not being copied correctly. The problem only gets worse when you try and use a raid card instead of the built in raid controller.

tl;dr Don't use raid 0 for boot just get a tiny ssd that has enough room for windows and just use raid 0 for benchmarks and all of your other programs.

P.S.

It might have been a pain in the ass to set up but now that I have it the way I want it. I am really enjoying the idea of having raid 0 in my computer with high point tech rocketraid with 3 128gig samsung 840 pro ssds. This particular raid card doesn't have any cache so it won't be very good for parity calculations but it flies when it comes to raid 0.

Sorry about the double post but there are the numbers I was getting from the array.

post-4439-13667861507027_thumb.jpg

post-4439-13667861507027_thumb.jpg

Why not go crazy and buy 4x128GB raid 0 instead ? or even raid 10 4x128gb and format C to raid 0 when you lack the space

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the info, I decided what Im gong to just get 1 512GB SSD.

Thanks for the info' date=' I decided what Im gong to just get 1 512GB SSD.[/quote']

Excellent choice. :D

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99