Help Me Find the Pinout of This DC Jack

byalexandr
Go to solution Solved by W-L,

-SNIP-

The gold prong or the one on the rear is positive, all the rest of them are negative, double deck with your charger to ensure it corresponds to the standard positive on the inner barrel and negative on the outer.

I have an ASUS A53E 15.6" laptop sitting on my bed that I disassembled due to the power jack not working. I want to sell it to help pay for a new R9 380 Nitro from Sapphire and so far I have put in a 120GB SSD and stuff to sweeten the deal. So I have access to the actual pins the power jack is connected to, and I want to bypass it since it isn't working. I hooked up some 16 gauge insulated wire to the power adapter but I don't know which pins to hold them on to. The laptop looks like this:

post-2597-0-31877900-1439592007.jpg

The power jack has 5 pins, two on each side and one on the rear and looks like this:

post-2597-0-70348900-1439592084.jpg

post-2597-0-05055900-1439592085.jpg

If you could draw on the image and tell me the pinout that would be great, so then I can at least charge it, install Windows 7 and verify everything is working before I sell it. And here's a lil' somethin' somethin' of the GPU I want to buy (I know a 280X is more powerful, but I absolutely adore this card  :wub:  :wub:  :wub: )

post-2597-0-91338200-1439592172.jpg

I plan on selling my GTX 760 as well and use the money from that and this laptop to buy it. Thanks!

OH! And the outer shell of the actual charger is ground (-), and the inside pin is power (+).

-SNIP-

The gold prong or the one on the rear is positive, all the rest of them are negative, double deck with your charger to ensure it corresponds to the standard positive on the inner barrel and negative on the outer.

Edited by W-L

The gold prong or the one on the rear is positive all the rest of them are negative, double deck with your charger to ensure it corresponds to the standard positive on the inner barrel and negative on the outer.

THANKS YOU SO MUCH! I figured this was it but I wanted to make sure. You sir are a life saver.

The gold prong or the one on the rear is positive all the rest of them are negative, double deck with your charger to ensure it corresponds to the standard positive on the inner barrel and negative on the outer.

THANKS YOU SO MUCH! I figured this was it but I wanted to make sure. You sir are a life saver.

a bit nitpicky, but more correct is "gold one on the rear is positive, the rest is ground" small detail, but tends to make big differences.

a bit nitpicky, but more correct is "gold one on the rear is positive, the rest is ground" small detail, but tends to make big differences.

I get the idea, the only one in the rear is positive and everything else is ground. My question now is, why won't it charge if all of the solder on the pins are still good? Is it something inside the jack?

I get the idea, the only one in the rear is positive and everything else is ground. My question now is, why won't it charge if all of the solder on the pins are still good? Is it something inside the jack?

Try using a multimeter to confirm the pinout and see if it's making a good electrical connection when the plug is in place but not plugged in of course.

Try using a multimeter to confirm the pinout and see if it's making a good electrical connection when the plug is in place but not plugged in of course.

Yeah I've been holding the wires on there for a while now it's been charging according to the charging LED. How long should I charge it until it reaches like 80% or something? I've held it on there for around 20-30 minutes now.

Personally I'd go with an R9 280x but if the man's in love, you can't budge. ;)

Yeah I've been holding the wires on there for a while now it's been charging according to the charging LED. How long should I charge it until it reaches like 80% or something? I've held it on there for around 20-30 minutes now.

If it's from dead maybe an hour or so, it'd really depend on the size of the battery. At that amount of time try booting it up and see if there is any change in battery levels.

If it's from dead maybe an hour or so, it'd really depend on the size of the battery. At that amount of time try booting it up and see if there is any change in battery levels.

It's been dead and in my closet for a long, long time. I will hold it on there for like 20 more minutes and then put it back together. Hopefully that's enough to install Windows 7.

Personally I'd go with an R9 280x but if the man's in love, you can't budge. ;)

I just love the look of that card, oh it's so nice. :D