Qualifications for a Computer Repair Technician?

Some background:

I've been looking for a job lately, not super actively but I've asked for a few applications in the last month. About an hour ago I took my computer over to a repair shop right near me (within walking distance) to get it fixed. The guys over there were super nice, it's a family company, and they really seem like they know what they're doing.

I'm considering applying, but I have no idea if that's really feasible because I don't know if repair stores even would consider hiring someone my age or what kind of qualifications I should acquire prior to applying. Soooo my questions are:

Would they even consider me for an interview, assuming they were hiring?

What qualifications would they look for?

PROJECT Simplifyi5-4690K OC'd @ 4.2 GHz | GTX 760 | Ballistix Sport 8 GB | ASRock Z97M-ITX/AC | Corsair H80i GT | SilverStone SG13B |

UPCOMING| RX Series GPU | Mechanical Keyboard | Mirrorless Camera | 

VIDEO KIT: Canon SX520 HS | Opteka "Glidecam" | Zoom H5 | Shure SM58 | 

I'm 16 and I like to think I'm good at videography.

What are your qualifications/skills/experience?

Are you willing to learn?

The most important part of an entry level job at your age is showing that you're not someone who's trying to feign knowledge, and that you're excited and want to learn as much as you can.

If you put a resume together I'd be happy to take a look. I worked at a shop like the one you're describing when I was in high school.

--Neil Hanlon

Operations Engineer

The most important part of an entry level job at your age is showing that you're not someone who's trying to feign knowledge, and that you're excited and want to learn as much as you can.

I gotta write that down, that is some excellent advice. That will help me a lot too, thanks.

Personally I wouldn't consider hiring someone without any knowledge about computers. There's a lot to learn and a lot of it comes from personal experience.  By the way you're speaking I assume you aren't too computer savvy. 

I had a family friend get me into computers and one of the first things he talked about was binary code and simply how it works. So I recommend a crash course in binary :D then learn about operating systems.

After that I'd get into processors and the ins and outs of those, then you can go on to MOBOS and GPUs

Also, lastly and most importantly, you should have a passion for computers/computing and building computers.

CPU: I7 4790k  CPU Cooler: NH-D15 GPUMSI 970 4gb   Motherboard: z97 Gaming 5 PSU: Corsair hx850   Ram: Corsair Vengeance 8 gb  SSD: Samsung 850 Evo  Case: Air 540

Personally I wouldn't consider hiring someone without any knowledge about computers. There's a lot to learn and a lot of it comes from personal experience.  By the way you're speaking I assume you aren't too computer savvy. 

I had a family friend get me into computers and one of the first things he talked about was binary code and simply how it works. So I recommend a crash course in binary :D then learn about operating systems.

After that I'd get into processors and the ins and outs of those, then you can go on to MOBOS and GPUs

Also, lastly and most importantly, you should have a passion for computers/computing and building computers.

I am actually computer savvy, I know about most of the stuff you mentioned, besides binary. I recently built my own computer as well!

PROJECT Simplifyi5-4690K OC'd @ 4.2 GHz | GTX 760 | Ballistix Sport 8 GB | ASRock Z97M-ITX/AC | Corsair H80i GT | SilverStone SG13B |

UPCOMING| RX Series GPU | Mechanical Keyboard | Mirrorless Camera | 

VIDEO KIT: Canon SX520 HS | Opteka "Glidecam" | Zoom H5 | Shure SM58 | 

I'm 16 and I like to think I'm good at videography.

I gotta write that down, that is some excellent advice. That will help me a lot too, thanks.

It's so important, not only for jobs when you're young, but when you're getting into a career too. If you don't know how to do something, or have questions -- just ask your manager/boss. If you try to sound smart and pretend you know what you're talking about, I'm going to assume you know exactly what you're doing and let you go. I don't like to micromanage someone that is confident in their abilities. But false confidence and lying will get you nowhere.

--Neil Hanlon

Operations Engineer

I am actually computer savvy, I know about most of the stuff you mentioned, besides binary. I recently built my own computer as well!

Good to hear :D I'm sorry if I came off as rude, it wasn't my intention, it's hard to tell what a person knows and doesn't just by a forum post.

CPU: I7 4790k  CPU Cooler: NH-D15 GPUMSI 970 4gb   Motherboard: z97 Gaming 5 PSU: Corsair hx850   Ram: Corsair Vengeance 8 gb  SSD: Samsung 850 Evo  Case: Air 540

It's so important, not only for jobs when you're young, but when you're getting into a career too. If you don't know how to do something, or have questions -- just ask your manager/boss. If you try to sound smart and pretend you know what you're talking about, I'm going to assume you know exactly what you're doing and let you go. I don't like to micromanage someone that is confident in their abilities. But false confidence and lying will get you nowhere.

Lol, thing is I do know what I'm talking about if it's something that I'm really interested in, like PCs for instance. But you can't be more right, if you don't know then don't pretend like you do. I 100% agree with that.