Older laptop wont boot from cd or usb.

Altaren
Go to solution Solved by Frankie,

I had problem like that, just take the HDD out and put it into PC/laptop and install win on it, then put it back into the Asus one. :)

A friend has a borked windows install and asked me to set him up with windows 8.1. Laptop is in a pretty bad shape (os wise) but it does detect the USB, not the CD tho.

I set the boot order to 1st usb and 2nd cd with the rest disabled. The underscore goes flashing for a bit and then gives me the "reboot and select a proper boot device or insert boot media and press a key" message.

So it seems like cd and usb are out of the question, what other options do i have?

Its an Asus pro5din and the computer itself is pretty messed up. He went and deleted a bunch of windows stuff thinking it was viral and now theres random errors when ever i open anything and even has an occasional bsod.

One thing to note that caught my eye, the bios doesnt really state USB device under boot order but says "removable device". Is there more work i need to do to the usb stick than the usual rufus bootable drive?

Thanks in advance

Have you checked BIOS?

I had problem like that, just take the HDD out and put it into PC/laptop and install win on it, then put it back into the Asus one. :)

My modded Air 540 build

Spoiler

Have you checked BIOS?

Checked what in bios? Obviously i had to open up bios in order to make the boot order go

1: Removable device

2: CD/DVD

3: Disabled

Not only did i do that but i also tried several combinations the two and also restoring defaults and all that.

Thats something i thought about but i dont want to open up the laptop unless its a last restort. Its not mine.

A friend has a borked windows install and asked me to set him up with windows 8.1. Laptop is in a pretty bad shape (os wise) but it does detect the USB, not the CD tho.

I set the boot order to 1st usb and 2nd cd with the rest disabled. The underscore goes flashing for a bit and then gives me the "reboot and select a proper boot device or insert boot media and press a key" message.

So it seems like cd and usb are out of the question, what other options do i have?

Its an Asus pro5din and the computer itself is pretty messed up. He went and deleted a bunch of windows stuff thinking it was viral and now theres random errors when ever i open anything and even has an occasional bsod.

One thing to note that caught my eye, the bios doesnt really state USB device under boot order but says "removable device". Is there more work i need to do to the usb stick than the usual rufus bootable drive?

Thanks in advance

Below is the best/easiest choice.

This is probably the easiest choice once you have access to another PC.

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

Below is the best/easiest choice.

This is probably the easiest choice once you have access to another PC.

I do. Ive never opened up a laptop before, i take it i shouldnt worry about it? I am quite careful when it comes to working with electronics.

I do. Ive never opened up a laptop before, i take it i shouldnt worry about it? I am quite careful when it comes to working with electronics.

First time can be a little bit scary, but it's not that hard. After that is like whatever. :D You could might as well clean the dust out and repaste it for your friend. :) 

My modded Air 540 build

Spoiler

It depends on the laptop, some are easy to open like say a dell but some are really tricky like older sony vaios and since you said it is an older laptop but didn't give the model i can't say for sure if it is easy or hard. Mostly, once you have the proper tools you won't have a problem as you can surely find a online video or post about doing so for almost any laptop.

Two PRO TIPS.....make sure you remove the battery after shutting down the laptop and discharge your static electricity before touching the internals

It depends on the laptop, some are easy to open like say a dell but some are really tricky like older sony vaios and since you said it is an older laptop but didn't give the model i can't say for sure if it is easy or hard. Mostly, once you have the proper tools you won't have a problem as you can surely find a online video or post about doing so for almost any laptop.

Two PRO TIPS.....make sure you remove the battery after shutting down the laptop and discharge your static electricity before touching the internals

Thanks, i did take out the battery and pressed the power button yea. Ill report back with results :D

Thanks, i did take out the battery and pressed the power button yea. Ill report back with results :D

B)

First time can be a little bit scary, but it's not that hard. After that is like whatever. :D You could might as well clean the dust out and repaste it for your friend. :)

Does the paste have to be non conductive? The laptop does have a gpu. Can i use a generic paste for a pc cpu cooler?

Does the paste have to be non conductive? The laptop does have a gpu. Can i use a generic paste for a pc cpu cooler?

In case of a laptop it's preferable to have non conductive paste, but if you're careful it probably doesn't matter.

My modded Air 540 build

Spoiler

In case of a laptop it's preferable to have non conductive paste, but if you're careful it probably doesn't matter.

Its done. Thanks for the help!

Its done. Thanks for the help!

Nice! No problem.  :)

My modded Air 540 build

Spoiler