Getting a new hard drive in a laptop.

Hello and thanks for your time. My laptop hard drive is 320gb and it is basically full, so I was going to buy a new hard drive but my laptop can only hold one and I don't know how to transfer all my stuff to the new one. My windows key also does not work to get a new windows 7 iso so I can't re install windows even. Can somebody help me?

Hello and thanks for your time. My laptop hard drive is 320gb and it is basically full, so I was going to buy a new hard drive but my laptop can only hold one and I don't know how to transfer all my stuff to the new one. My windows key also does not work to get a new windows 7 iso so I can't re install windows even. Can somebody help me?

You can get one of those USB to SATA cables and a free disk cloning software from somewhere. So what you would do is that you connect the new harddrive through the cable and install the software on your computer. Then you need to initialize the new HDD and then you can start cloning your old drive over to the new drive using a free disk cloning software.

Frost | 7700K @ 4.9GHz 1.36v, delidded | Asus DUAL GTX 1060 6GB OC | Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 2800MHz | Samsung 960 EVO 250GB SSD + Toshiba 1TB HDD + Toshiba 2TB HDD + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SSD for macOS | Asus PRIME Z270-A | Fractal Design Celsius S24 | Seasonic M12-II 620W PSU | Corsair 400C White | NZXT Hue+

Samsung Galaxy S8 | Stock

Ticwatch E (Black) | Ticwatch Brown Leather Strap

No the only other pc in the house is my dads which doesn't have another power plug for the sata cable or I could just transfer it over the network.

Yes but I would prefer not to have to buy one of those

You can torrent the ISO. Just make sure to check the md5 once you download it and that it matches one of these: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_install/windows-7-md5-saha-1-hash/0a319aa4-c930-47a9-baba-cac2e08cc9e3?auth=1

It should be legal to torrent as far as I know, I could be wrong though.

I don't want to torrent what if it has malware or something...

Also forgot to mention I wouldn't be opposed to upgrading to windows 10 right away but I don't know if my windows 7 key would work because it came installed.

You can torrent the ISO. Just make sure to check the md5 once you download it and that it matches one of these: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_install/windows-7-md5-saha-1-hash/0a319aa4-c930-47a9-baba-cac2e08cc9e3?auth=1

It should be legal to torrent as far as I know, I could be wrong though.

Yes, torrenting the OS is legal, Torrenting almost all software is legal, but sharing or using a program to create / crack the key is illegal.

So the software is fine, the key is not. 

It's not a race to the bottom.

Yes, torrenting the OS is legal, Torrenting almost all software is legal, but sharing or using a program to create / crack the key is illegal.

So the software is fine, the key is not. 

First of all I don't know how to torrent second of all i'm still really not comfortable with that.