Sony vaio pro 13

Raj8396

I want a haswell ultrabook and the only option i have in my region (india) is the sony vaio pro 13. I have done research on it and seems like a pretty solid ultrabook. 

Thing i will be doing on it:

It will be my primary computer. Web browsing, Media consumption, and maybe taking notes on it next year when i go to college, I want haswell because of its battery life.

Things i like about vaio pro 13

It weights 1.06Kg (2.34)

it has a nice ips 1080p display and keyboard.

it is made of carbon fiber.

it has a very fast pci-e ssd.

Specs i will be chossing

Core i5 4200U

8GB ram (would 4Gb be enough)

256GB SSD

My review source

http://goo.gl/oTyxu

http://goo.gl/CczbsN

i will be going to a sony store to try it out.

what are your thoughts on this laptop and the specs i have chosen? Should i buy it? Do you have one?

Edit:

I have bought the laptop and with core i5 4gb ram and 128gb ssd, i love it.

Sony Vaio Pro 13 CPU:Haswell Core i5 4200U RAM: 4 GB GPU: HD4400 Storage: SSD Pci-e 128GB (Its really fast), External 1TB Seagate Expansion Drive Weight: 1.06kg (made of carbon fiber) 

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Note 2 (4.4.2 Omnirom) 

MacBook Air?

MacBook Air?

I don't want mac os. 

Sony Vaio Pro 13 CPU:Haswell Core i5 4200U RAM: 4 GB GPU: HD4400 Storage: SSD Pci-e 128GB (Its really fast), External 1TB Seagate Expansion Drive Weight: 1.06kg (made of carbon fiber) 

• 3 weeks later...

Have you bough the Vaio Pro yet? I am considering buying it but I'm in between the Acer S7 and the Zenbook infinity. If you have bought it how is it?

It looks pretty good. I haven't tried it but I have watched that mobile tech review video about it (love Lisa's reviews btw) and she likes it which means it's probably a good product.  Ive heard it has lots of flex when typing which may be annoying to some.

Personally I went with the new macbook air, but I was torn between the 2.  I am confident it will serve you well for your college needs.

Here Lisa compares the vaio pro with the new S7 (Linus' fav laptop)

| Currently no gaming rig | Dell XPS 13 (9343) |

| Samsung Galaxy Note5 | Gear VR | Nvidia Shield Tab | Xbox One |

Have you bough the Vaio Pro yet? I am considering buying it but I'm in between the Acer S7 and the Zenbook infinity. If you have bought it how is it?

I have bought core i5 version, which is $1250. I personally like the looks of the vaio more than s7, but thats just me, it is very light the lightest laptop in its category at 1.06Kg as it is made of carbon fiber, It does have flex and sony says its intentional but there isnt any flex when you are typing( unless you type with a hammer :P ) or when you are using. Battery life is really nice thanks to the haswell chip and that is one of the main reason why i went with this notebook. It has a pci-e ssd which is very quick, It wakes up from sleep in 3sec and turns on under 10s. 

So i love the laptop very much but you will have to see if it suits you better than s7 ( btw which s7 are you taking about new one or the old one) or zenbook infinity(is it out yet?) feel free to ask me any questions, i am glad to help.  :)

here are few reviews:

http://goo.gl/CczbsN

http://goo.gl/oTyxu

Thank you for the quick replies. I am more inclined towards the Sony due to looks and since they always construct good products. The acer I was looking at the new one. About the Vaio pro, so when you're typing it doesn't have flex? Because that's really important for me and also is the touch-pad responsive because on some reviews they said that the touch-pad sometimes is unresponsive or it lags.

Thank you for the quick replies. I am more inclined towards the Sony due to looks and since they always construct good products. The acer I was looking at the new one. About the Vaio pro, so when you're typing it doesn't have flex? Because that's really important for me and also is the touch-pad responsive because on some reviews they said that the touch-pad sometimes is unresponsive or it lags.

Flex of keyboard depends on your typing style, if you press the keys hard you can flex it but when you are typing fast and just pressing the keys quickly i dont see any flex, but the best thing i can tell you is to try out the laptop at some store near you before you buy it. Normal moving the courser around is not a problem but the scroll gestures can be a little laggy or unresponsive sometimes but i believe that a problem with windows and drivers and not the problem of the touch-pad itself.

Here are few pictures that it took:

6wWutrx.jpgSiqe2fO.jpg

More here:

http://imgur.com/a/JbSkU

Ok thanks :) and it looks really nice. I'll see if I can find a display model in a store near me. Also on laptops I usually have a light touch type since they keys are small and I usually type fast.

Ok thanks :) and it looks really nice. I'll see if I can find a display model in a store near me. Also on laptops I usually have a light touch type since they keys are small and I usually type fast.

Good, let me know if you like it or not and what you think about it.  :)

I also needed a laptop to take to University ince it is that season where you go back to school but i am torn between a gaming powerhouse and a vaio pro. Note that I already have a super rig desktop at home but you never know when you want to play games when away from the main rig. Does the Vaio pro lag in any way? Is it very smooth with all office applications? Does the CPU hold up to all applications? Can you stream videos no problem, unlike those stupid netbooks?

PC: The Oracle
Phone History: Nokia 3310, Samsung Z500, HTC Touch, iPhone 3GS + Samsung S5600 Preston, iPhone 3GS + Blackberry Bold 9700, Samsung Galaxy S + Blackberry Bold 9700, Samsung Galaxy S2 + Samsung Galaxy Tab + Blackberry Bold 9700, Samsung Galaxy S3 + Blackberry Torch 9800, Samsung Galaxy Note 2 + Blackberry Bold 9900 + Blackberry Playbook, Samsung Galaxy Note 2  + Nokia Lumia 920, Galaxy S4 +Nokia Lumia 920, Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Galaxy Note 3, Samsung Galaxy S5

I also needed a laptop to take to University ince it is that season where you go back to school but i am torn between a gaming powerhouse and a vaio pro. Note that I already have a super rig desktop at home but you never know when you want to play games when away from the main rig. Does the Vaio pro lag in any way? Is it very smooth with all office applications? Does the CPU hold up to all applications? Can you stream videos no problem, unlike those stupid netbooks?

I dont think you should be worried about the cpu performance in areas like video streaming and office applications even when you get the core i5 version because it has intel's latest Haswell processors and it has a pci-e ssd so applications will load up very quickly as well as the laptop. So does it lag anything? in your use case of taking it to university it is perfect because it is very light has great battery life and is compact.

As for the gaming laptop part i personally think that if you have a desktop gaming rig you should just get a non-gaming laptop because gaming laptop dont have nice battery life, are heavy and thick, hot, and Non-upgradable, In 1-2 years you will feel like you are not getting enough gaming performance out of it in modern games but an ultrabook can last a longer life without feeling slow and old. And would you upgrade your outdated gaming laptop or would you rather spend that money on upgrading your desktop rig?

I hope it was helpful.  :)

I dont think you should be worried about the cpu performance in areas like video streaming and office applications even when you get the core i5 version because it has intel's latest Haswell processors and it has a pci-e ssd so applications will load up very quickly as well as the laptop. So does it lag anything? in your use case of taking it to university it is perfect because it is very light has great battery life and is compact.

As for the gaming laptop part i personally think that if you have a desktop gaming rig you should just get a non-gaming laptop because gaming laptop dont have nice battery life, are heavy and thick, hot, and Non-upgradable, In 1-2 years you will feel like you are not getting enough gaming performance out of it in modern games but an ultrabook can last a longer life without feeling slow and old. And would you upgrade your outdated gaming laptop or would you rather spend that money on upgrading your desktop rig?

I hope it was helpful.  :)

I guess you are right. I have to suppress my urge to play games everywhere.

Phone History: Nokia 3310, Samsung Z500, HTC Touch, iPhone 3GS + Samsung S5600 Preston, iPhone 3GS + Blackberry Bold 9700, Samsung Galaxy S + Blackberry Bold 9700, Samsung Galaxy S2 + Samsung Galaxy Tab + Blackberry Bold 9700, Samsung Galaxy S3 + Blackberry Torch 9800, Samsung Galaxy Note 2 + Blackberry Bold 9900 + Blackberry Playbook, Samsung Galaxy Note 2  + Nokia Lumia 920, Galaxy S4 +Nokia Lumia 920, Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Galaxy Note 3, Samsung Galaxy S5

I guess you are right. I have to suppress my urge to play games everywhere.

To make you feel better, i can play games like burnout paradise and call of duty modern warfare 2 at med-highish and 1080p on my core i5 version and here is a little gaming review of the vaio pro 13

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJ4JvQ0KR9Q

To make you feel better, i can play games like burnout paradise and call of duty modern warfare 2 at med-highish and 1080p on my core i5 version and here is a little gaming review of the vaio pro 13

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJ4JvQ0KR9Q

Thats cool. I was not planning to play such FPS games but maybe something like LoL. World of Tanks.