Smoother gameplay on (some?) AMD systems

leipero

All settings bellow are best settings for some system, and it could differ for other systems.

Forget everything I've said before, what should be done if there is a problem, is to disable those devices in device manager (show hidden devices = enabled):

High Precision Event Timer (if it is disabled in BIOS, for me it is better without it, it can differ)
Programmable interrupt controller
System timer

That's it. The reason behind this are conflicts with timers on some motherboards. If that is the case, do this, and say bye bye to stuttering.

If I'm correct, I know I may be wrong here, but those fixes are usually for the HD 7xxx series of cards, aren't they? As for Grid 2, I have 60 FPS through most tracks other than the one known for causing a bit of hiccup. I haven't played Split Second in quite a long while so I won't be able to give my thoughts on that game, but Grid 2 is practically flawless and far more smoother than the last beta drivers (13.6 Beta 2).

MOBO - Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0   CPU - AMD Phenom II X6 1055T @ 3.5GHz - Corsair H80i   RAM - 2x Corsair Vengence 4GB DDR3 @ 1666 MHz   

GPU - SAPPHIRE 100362-3L Radeon R9 290 4GB Tri-X OC  Sound - ASUS Xonar DSX  PSU - Thermaltake SMART M Series SP-850M 850W

I  just installed the beta drivers and I have had no issues so far. Games actually seem to be smoother.

Life is pain. Anyone who says any different is either selling something or the government.

----CPU: FX-6300 @ 4.2ghz----COOLER: Hyper 212 EVO----MOBO: MSI 970A-G46----PSU: OCZ 600watt----CASE: Black Corsair C70----GPU: Sapphire 7870 dual fan ghz edtion----2 random HDD'S----A couple fans here and there. Mouse: Gigabyte M6900-------Keyboard: Logitech G105-----Mousepad: Steel series something something.

Same here, Bf3 feels a lot smoother and i seem to have gained about 10-15 fps from this driver.

CPU: Intel Core i5 2500K 4,6GHZ OC MB: MSI Mpower z77  RAM: Kingston Genesis 1600Mhz CL9 16GB

GPU: ASUS R9 290 Direct CUII  PSU: Corsair AX 860

If I'm correct, I know I may be wrong here, but those fixes are usually for the HD 7xxx series of cards, aren't they? As for Grid 2, I have 60 FPS through most tracks other than the one known for causing a bit of hiccup. I haven't played Split Second in quite a long while so I won't be able to give my thoughts on that game, but Grid 2 is practically flawless and far more smoother than the last beta drivers (13.6 Beta 2).

Well, i didn't have problems sort of speak, just few settings changed, and i run GRID 2 at minimum FPS of 50+, the only reason why i test (and suggest others to test at 30FPS range, is that if game runs smooth at low FPS, high FPS can be just better. What fixes? I use 6770, and for me also i could finally change from 13.2_Beta6 driver (very good driver for me). Point is, to test it with those settings and see if there is a difference, For GRID 2, i don't have hiccups in any track, so maybe this solutions would help that in your case?

I  just installed the beta drivers and I have had no issues so far. Games actually seem to be smoother.

Same here, But i used 13.2_Beta6 it was close or same smooth as 13.8 BETA, so i didn't noticed much of a difference.

Same here, Bf3 feels a lot smoother and i seem to have gained about 10-15 fps from this driver.

Well, i suggest testing who is interested, i wonder if there is a difference on other AMD, and possibly Intel system (i didn't tested any Intel system under AHCI mode).

Well, i didn't have problems sort of speak, just few settings changed, and i run GRID 2 at minimum FPS of 50+, the only reason why i test (and suggest others to test at 30FPS range, is that if game runs smooth at low FPS, high FPS can be just better. What fixes? I use 6770, and for me also i could finally change from 13.2_Beta6 driver (very good driver for me). Point is, to test it with those settings and see if there is a difference, For GRID 2, i don't have hiccups in any track, so maybe this solutions would help that in your case?

It's nothing more than a quick 3fps drop around one of the corners.

MOBO - Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0   CPU - AMD Phenom II X6 1055T @ 3.5GHz - Corsair H80i   RAM - 2x Corsair Vengence 4GB DDR3 @ 1666 MHz   

GPU - SAPPHIRE 100362-3L Radeon R9 290 4GB Tri-X OC  Sound - ASUS Xonar DSX  PSU - Thermaltake SMART M Series SP-850M 850W

Well, i didn't have problems sort of speak, just few settings changed, and i run GRID 2 at minimum FPS of 50+, the only reason why i test (and suggest others to test at 30FPS range, is that if game runs smooth at low FPS, high FPS can be just better. What fixes? I use 6770, and for me also i could finally change from 13.2_Beta6 driver (very good driver for me). Point is, to test it with those settings and see if there is a difference, For GRID 2, i don't have hiccups in any track, so maybe this solutions would help that in your case?

Same here, But i used 13.2_Beta6 it was close or same smooth as 13.8 BETA, so i didn't noticed much of a difference.

Well, i suggest testing who is interested, i wonder if there is a difference on other AMD, and possibly Intel system (i didn't tested any Intel system under AHCI mode).

Well i have an intel System, and i also noticed that i hit 120 fps more often in WoW before it was mostly on 85-90 fps. My i5 2500k is oced to 4.5 ghz at the moment.

CPU: Intel Core i5 2500K 4,6GHZ OC MB: MSI Mpower z77  RAM: Kingston Genesis 1600Mhz CL9 16GB

GPU: ASUS R9 290 Direct CUII  PSU: Corsair AX 860

the new 13.8 have been fine for me....no problems so far....my brother has been playing on my rig for the past 3-4 hours(since his laptop sucks ballz with its nvidia g105m) and windows 8 hasn't crashed. I need to still check the windows 8/far cry 3 bug has been fixed.....it used to crash a lot, havent played that yet on 13.8....overall i think the 13.8 drivers are great. Maybe people are not uninstalling then re installing properly, i always uninstall, then restart then clean with ccleaner(apps and registry) then install new drivers.....

-Anubikai

| i5-4670k at stock until I do a custom WC loop | H80i | Asus Matrix Platinum 7970 at stock until I do a custom WC loop  | MSI Z87 GD65 | 1TB CAVIAR BLACK | 250gb Blue Scorpio | HX750 80 PLUS GOLD modular | 16GB INTEL EXTREME EDITION PATRIOT 1866MHZ | Coolermaster Storm Enforcer with two Red 20cm fans intake and exhaust |

It's nothing more than a quick 3fps drop around one of the corners.

Oh, that is with v-sync ON, it is my bad, i didn't said it should be tested without v-sync.

Well i have an intel System, and i also noticed that i hit 120 fps more often in WoW before it was mostly on 85-90 fps. My i5 2500k is oced to 4.5 ghz at the moment.

That's connected with new drivers, not with those settings and AHCI controller right?