Recommended Monitor Setups?

Hello all,

So I will be getting my new PC in around a month from now and I've been wanting to upgrade from my current 1080p monitor for a while. My new PC will have an R9 390 Nitro from Sapphire with 8GB GDDR5 and I would like some help deciding on display solutions.

Below are some of the monitor solutions I have considered:

- 3 x 1080p monitors (using central for gaming and the auxiliary for multitasking, OR, all 3 in Eyefinity for simulators)

- 1 x 1440p monitor (likely a 60Hz IPS monitor for gaming and using my current 1080p monitor as an extra)

- Ultra-Widescreen monitor (2560x1080 for widescreen gaming using my current 1080p as auxiliary)

They are some of the ideas I have had, if you have any suggestions they are much appreciated.

Please consider the following:

- I plan on gaming with my main monitor(s)

- I am a student studying maths, physics and computer science

- I do programming/software-based work

What do you guys think is a good upgrade from one 1080p monitor?

All feedback is welcome!

To ensure I see your reply, quote my post.

Got any questions? Send me a message.

Dell U2715H.

Bitfenix Phenom M White | ASUS RoG Maximus VIII Gene | Intel i7 6700K @4.6GHz | HyperX Savage 2800MHz CL14 DDR4 16GB | EVGA GTX1080 SC | Intel 750 Series PCIe SSD 400GB | EVGA SuperNova G2 550W | Windows 10 Professional x64 | Logitech G900, Corsair K70 RGB MXbrown O-ringed, BeyerDynamic DT880 (600 Ω) on Fiio E10K & Samson Meteor | Dell U2715H 27", Samsung SyncMaster P2450H 24", Samsung SyncMaster 931BF 19" | DIY Ambilight

Triple 5k, but personally I'd go with the single 1440p

Its when dragons have so much sex that the cpu cant handle it

Dell U2715H.

Triple 5k, but personally I'd go with the single 1440p

I like the triple 5k idea haha.

A single 1440p has been the solution I've preferred most to be honest, glad you both agree! Thank you!

Maybe take a look at the MG279Q from Asus not too sure what sort of budget you're looking at, but its a sound 1440p IPS panel with the added bonus of being 144hz :D fits your gaming needs pretty sweetly

http://www.asus.com/uk/Monitors/MG279Q/

Also consider the MX27AQ not something I've come across before but with an AH-IPS panel and some pretty decent in-built speakers it may be something that you could look at as an all round monitor as it doesn't present itself as a gaming monitor or a editing monitor, just seems like a pretty solid generic daily driver. 

http://www.asus.com/uk/Monitors/MX27AQ/

Personally I'd edge towards the MG279Q, great looks from the IPS panel and will give you a great gaming experience allowing you to make use of the 390 regarding free sync.

Maybe take a look at the MG279Q from Asus not too sure what sort of budget you're looking at, but its a sound 1440p IPS panel with the added bonus of being 144hz :D fits your gaming needs pretty sweetly

http://www.asus.com/uk/Monitors/MG279Q/

Also consider the MX27AQ not something I've come across before but with an AH-IPS panel and some pretty decent in-built speakers it may be something that you could look at as an all round monitor as it doesn't present itself as a gaming monitor or a editing monitor, just seems like a pretty solid generic daily driver.

http://www.asus.com/uk/Monitors/MX27AQ/

Personally I'd edge towards the MG279Q, great looks from the IPS panel and will give you a great gaming experience allowing you to make use of the 390 regarding free sync.

So pretty much it is much more painless to go for 1440p rather than 3 monitors? I don't want to create another thread for the same results lol

So pretty much it is much more painless to go for 1440p rather than 3 monitors? I don't want to create another thread for the same results lol

It seems that way haha, 1440p is the way to go.

I guess if you want 3 monitors for surround gaming, you'd probably be better off with a 21:9 at either 1080p or 1440p ultrawide, other than that, 1440p seems best.

I guess if you want 3 monitors for surround gaming, you'd probably be better off with a 21:9 at either 1080p or 1440p ultrawide, other than that, 1440p seems best.

I currently game and do editing on my Asus PA279Q with a PA238Q sitting pretty in portrait next to it, both beautiful IPS panels, 1440p for the PA279Q. I have a mate who has 3x Asus 23" 1080p monitors @ 144hz, he cant run them all at 144hz due to his 280x not having enough umph, and to be honest its a bit underwhelming in my opinion I don't want to turn my head to see the far edges :P, one big monitor with a smaller one next to it is a great setup, videos on one and long webpages on the other. Hence why I suggested the MG279Q, because there's no need to scrap your old monitor if you can help it, you can just turn it into a secondary :D

I currently game and do editing on my Asus PA279Q with a PA238Q sitting pretty in portrait next to it, both beautiful IPS panels, 1440p for the PA279Q. I have a mate who has 3x Asus 23" 1080p monitors @ 144hz, he cant run them all at 144hz due to his 280x not having enough umph, and to be honest its a bit underwhelming in my opinion I don't want to turn my head to see the far edges :P, one big monitor with a smaller one next to it is a great setup, videos on one and long webpages on the other. Hence why I suggested the MG279Q, because there's no need to scrap your old monitor if you can help it, you can just turn it into a secondary  :D

Does a 1440p ultrawide monitor affect performance compared to a standard 1440p? I was planning to give my main monitor to my girlfriend (My BenQ) and I was looking into ultrawides. I only game though. I do have a secondary monitor (some acer model, nothing to special.

I am seeing that as well. I also saw on various forums that 3x 1080p is best suited for sim games than traditional games. Guess that Means I should be shopping for 1440p either normal or ultrawide.

Does a 1440p ultrawide monitor affect performance compared to a standard 1440p? I was planning to give my main monitor to my girlfriend (My BenQ) and I was looking into ultrawides. I only game though. I do have a secondary monitor (some acer model, nothing to special.

Ultra-wide does affect performance because there are more pixels, instead of 2560x1440 (which is 3.7 million pixels) ultra-wide 1440p is 3440x1440 (which is 5 million pixels) - an extra 35% more pixels to push.

I currently game and do editing on my Asus PA279Q with a PA238Q sitting pretty in portrait next to it, both beautiful IPS panels, 1440p for the PA279Q. I have a mate who has 3x Asus 23" 1080p monitors @ 144hz, he cant run them all at 144hz due to his 280x not having enough umph, and to be honest its a bit underwhelming in my opinion I don't want to turn my head to see the far edges :P, one big monitor with a smaller one next to it is a great setup, videos on one and long webpages on the other. Hence why I suggested the MG279Q, because there's no need to scrap your old monitor if you can help it, you can just turn it into a secondary  :D

Seems like a pretty solid plan, that's my mind made up! Thank you :D

Seems like a pretty solid plan, that's my mind made up! Thank you :D

No problem, Glad I could help out :)

Ultra-wide does affect performance because there are more pixels, instead of 2560x1440 (which is 3.7 million pixels) ultra-wide 1440p is 3440x1440 (which is 5 million pixels) - an extra 35% more pixels to push.

Currently have a 980, will get another in SLI so that should be good enough to make up for it I hope lol

Currently have a 980, will get another in SLI so that should be good enough to make up for it I hope lol

That will be enough I'd imagine, you'll be fine dude, enjoy!

That will be enough I'd imagine, you'll be fine dude, enjoy!

Thanks man! And thank you for letting me steal your thread lol