970 vs 970 gaming vs 990fx

so here is what i currently have

~Mid sized tower

~AMD FX 6100 3.3ghz

~hyper x blu 1600mhz 8gb x2 (16g)

~nvidia gtx 640 2gb

~450W psu (not much of anything psu wise...)

~gigabyte GA-78LMT-S2 (link to Current mobo below)

( http://www.newegg.co...8-564-_-Product )

this is what pretty much matters.

I also recently purchased this as an upgrade, to prepare for a future MSI gtx 970 100me
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817182323

I plan on doing light overclocking, and would like a user friendly setup, i hear MSI does an amazing job with beginner overclocking. I would also like to set myself up for some of the new CPUs comming out soon. I do plan on SLIing 2 970s in the future. I thought about cheaper mobos ony because of what era of components we are in, we are starting the next era of ram, and video cards, along wiht new cpus, so i have thought about just a decent cheap mobo to get me a few years til the new stuff is cheaper/ have more variety.

I am looking to purchase a new mobo, but am unsure of brands andcstomer support, any feedback would be welcomed.

Soo this is where i stand, I was ready to pruchase the MSI 970 Gaming mobo for around 100$ (missed out on it for 80...)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130790

but Newegg came out with a deal on the 990fx mobos, the one around my price and fits my needs is the gigabyte 990fx
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128514

but the reason i am not all over this board is because i have herd and read weird and bad things about it, alot of DoAs, overheating issues, and the weirdest one, was that the board does not like fx series CPUs, people have stated that the VMA cant handle multi core CPUs to well and bottlenecks the crap out of them? This is why im here to ask the questions, have yall had any issues, do any of you use this mobo w/ fx series CPUs and have had/ have not had issues?

last but not least sticking with the 970 series, i also noticed this gigabyte board and MSI boards, the msi i've done some research on and herd some good things and bad things, i would lean more towords the MSI( i do like my components maching, but is not 100% necessary) for the price and again, the ease of overclocking i have herd. But i am willing to give the gigabyte a chance, but for 10$ more i could just get the 990fx...

Giga: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128651

MSI: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130679

The audio boosters are not a deal breaker for me, but if they are with it, thats a positive, if not, if i truely care i could always buy a pci audio card later.

~thanks everyone who checks this out and leaves some feedback~

imo get the 970 g1 gaming or 970 windforce. (g1 gaming is better)

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

If you plan on SLI'ing in the future you should think about switching to an i5/i7. As far as upgrading your Motherboard, i don't see the point. A single 970 will be bottlenecked by your 6100 overclocked or not, though it won't be extreme.

Your way better off buying the 990FX UD3 because of the better VRM quality and phase too, MSI's VRM Quality/Phase aren't so well compared to Gigabyte or Asus.

I suggest getting a better CPU first as a 6100 bottlenecks a single 970 card no matter what if it's OC'd and justify the price to OC the 6100 would cost more than buying a 4690K+Z97 board alone. 

Your way better off buying the 990FX UD3 because of the better VRM quality and phase too, MSI's VRM Quality/Phase aren't so well compared to Gigabyte or Asus.

I suggest getting a better CPU first as a 6100 bottlenecks a single 970 card no matter what if it's OC'd and justify the price to OC the 6100 would cost more than buying a 4690K+Z97 board alone. 

Yup.

I do plan on upgrading the CPU, just not at this very second, like i said, i would like to get a board to potentialy upgrade to the newer CPUs or even the fx 8300s when the come down in price a little more.

But i do not have an xtra $350 to competly swap to intel, yes, my cpu will be a slight bottleneck at this time, but will be upgraded later, just my curent mobo will be much much more of a bottleneck than my cpu for the 970

imo get the 970 g1 gaming or 970 windforce. (g1 gaming is better)

I can not use of them, they are to big for my case

I do plan on upgrading the CPU, just not at this very second, like i said, i would like to get a board to potentialy upgrade to the newer CPUs or even the fx 8300s when the come down in price a little more.

But i do not have an xtra $350 to competly swap to intel, yes, my cpu will be a slight bottleneck at this time, but will be upgraded later, just my curent mobo will be much much more of a bottleneck than my cpu for the 970

Then save your money and don't waste it on cooling/motherboard. Going to 83xx cpu will do nothing for you. Why dig yourself deeper into the hole you're already in? Just switch completely to intel when you have the money. Getting a 970 now is fine but don't get another one til switching platforms.

Long story short, i am trying to prep for fallout 4, and assasins creed syndicate w/o spending $1000. and have some parts that will still be strong parts in the years to come

I can not use of them, they are to big for my case

Then go for a different 970, then down the road replace your current cpu with an i3 or i5 down the road.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Long story short, i am trying to prep for fallout 4, and assasins creed syndicate w/o spending $1000. and have some parts that will still be strong parts in the years to come

get an i5 and r9 390/gtx 970. Years to come for less than a $1000.

At that point, might as well save more money to switch to Intel, as you'll notice the performance difference right away. 

You'll find yourself spending more money on the FX platform than buying a i5 in the future.......

At that point, might as well save more money to switch to Intel, as you'll notice the performance difference right away. 

You'll find yourself spending more money on the FX platform than buying a i5 in the future.......

i dont disagree with swapping to intel yes i will swap later, and i dont mind bottlenecking my 970 with a 6100 a little bit, but i feel my mobo at this current time will be the biggest bottleneck, more than the 6100, which is why i desire to upgrade the mobo, at the least. my current 750 north and south bridge i know is a huge bottle right now for what im even running, Im Guessing at this currentt time the 970 msi mobo (69$ ) would be a decent upgrade with slight potential until i can swap to intel........

i dont disagree with swapping to intel yes i will swap later, and i dont mind bottlenecking my 970 with a 6100 a little bit, but i feel my mobo at this current time will be the biggest bottleneck, more than the 6100, which is why i desire to upgrade the mobo, at the least. my current 750 north and south bridge i know is a huge bottle right now for what im even running, Im Guessing at this currentt time the 970 msi mobo (69$ ) would be a decent upgrade with slight potential until i can swap to intel........

I don't understand. If you're running your cpu at stock why is your motherboard a bottleneck?

Take a look at this.........

Now since your 6100 is Zambezi which is poorer than Vishera...

cKLa3vs.png

It sucks in single threaded/games. 

Unless you were going with GPU bound situations like multi mon setup then upgrading to Intel would be your best bet atm. 

Take a look at this.........

Now since your 6100 is Zambezi which is poorer than Vishera...

cKLa3vs.png

It sucks in single threaded/games. 

Unless you were going with GPU bound situations like multi mon setup then upgrading to Intel would be your best bet atm. 

Now that i info i guess i am starting to understand, I look at the math when it comes to CPUs, i felt as tho my 6x3.3 was a pretty decent CPU compaired to a 4x3.5, i just dont know enough about intel to understand why its better, i have herd of hyper thread, but just havnt been exposed to intel to truely understand the price and point of intel, my amd has done just fine so far, and the price has always just made sence, numbers wise

As you said multi threads, sadly i guess their is much much more to gaming than, just haveing the required ghz, ram, and video that i do not understand.

man computers are confusing.