Burning smell when Rendering!?

Yes another burning smell when rendering thread! Most of them which i googled are a good 5+ years old so i thought i would get a quick thread here and see what people say.

I had tried to render this video like a half a dozen times, it kept freezing at 60% or so, so i changed the preview on Sony Vegas to low quality, i restarted PC, i went from 60fps to 30 ect to get this going for about a hour. So i come back after 20 minutes and its almost done and i smell a very very light burning smell. Video has 30 seconds left so i just let it go.

checked the last 30 seconds with HW info and all cores were 99% with temps 70-75, It idles at like 35 this summer fyi. Don't think it ever goes above 60 in my most intense CPU games.

4770k @ oc 4.2ghz / stock volts
Asus Maximus VI
16gig Corsair Vengence 1600mhz
240gig SSD Kingston
Asus Strix 970
h100i
Corsair CX750M psu

General google tells me it could be dirt/dust around the fans or cpu cooler? Could be the Thermal Paste burning? or even the PSU frying?

How much or how little thought would you guys put into this? What should i look at for how long over next few days for peace of mind or an answer? When i opened the case a few minutes later i couldnt smell anything from anywhere specific, the whole thing in general was super light smell and not strong.

Had the PC about 18 months minus the GPU, Has been OC only a few months.

I got a whole series of videos planned to create over the next few weeks which will probably result in dozens of hours of rendering ahead.

Thanks

Yes another burning smell when rendering thread! Most of them which i googled are a good 5+ years old so i thought i would get a quick thread here and see what people say.

I had tried to render this video like a half a dozen times, it kept freezing at 60% or so, so i changed the preview on Sony Vegas to low quality, i restarted PC, i went from 60fps to 30 ect to get this going for about a hour. So i come back after 20 minutes and its almost done and i smell a very very light burning smell. Video has 30 seconds left so i just let it go.

checked the last 30 seconds with HW info and all cores were 99% with temps 70-75, It idles at like 35 this summer fyi. Don't think it ever goes above 60 in my most intense CPU games.

4770k @ oc 4.2ghz / stock volts

Asus Maximus VI

16gig Corsair Vengence 1600mhz

240gig SSD Kingston

Asus Strix 970

h100i

Corsair CX750M psu

General google tells me it could be dirt/dust around the fans or cpu cooler? Could be the Thermal Paste burning? or even the PSU frying?

How much or how little thought would you guys put into this? What should i look at for how long over next few days for peace of mind or an answer? When i opened the case a few minutes later i couldnt smell anything from anywhere specific, the whole thing in general was super light smell and not strong.

Had the PC about 18 months minus the GPU, Has been OC only a few months.

I got a whole series of videos planned to create over the next few weeks which will probably result in dozens of hours of rendering ahead.

Thanks

I wouldn't doubt the PSU going, seeing as it uses sub-par capacitors. 

Just smell if your PSU is smelling weird. You might want to open it up (carefully) and check for burned parts

I too suggest smelling your components to track the source of the smell.

If it is the PSU is it something i just leave and replace if it dies or is it a urgent replace now thing? The goal is to obviously protect the rest of my PC.

You may want to get a different power supply because if you continue running it like that you'll be buying a whole brand new computer soon. Don't cheap out on the power supply, that is the heart of your system. If that goes out, so does your system.

I too suggest smelling your components to track the source of the smell.

Sorry i wasnt clear in my post, i opened up the case not more then 5 minutes later and can smell nothing at all from anywhere.

If it is the PSU is it something i just leave and replace if it dies or is it a urgent replace now thing? The goal is to obviously protect the rest of my PC.

Just replace it. 500W will be enough

I would say PSU as well. It may be going bad from being underload. I killed my friend's PSU when I ran a stress test on it. It was a cheap PSU, but I did smell a burning smell (I thought it was from my room or something)...until bamn...PSU turned off and would not turn back on. At least none of the components died.

Ok im convinced enough i need to do it properly, i will replace the PSU, probably redo thermal and everything and fill any extra fan slots in my PC, forgot to mention the case is a little Corsair 300R. Can i use this non gaming for a couple days / a week or is it best to just shut it off now and wait?

Got a nice little i7 920 first gen and a saphire 270x to fall back on ))

its French website but feel free to make suggestions so i dont run into same problem in future

http://prodimex.ch/pGroupe.aspx?FAM=COMPOSANTS&ONG=BOITIERS&GRP=ALIMENTATIONS

just click on the brand and it will filter that way

get a better psu. top-end corsair stuff is fine but low-end is junk.

would advise getting an evga g2 psu. 

Ok im convinced enough i need to do it properly, i will replace the PSU, probably redo thermal and everything and fill any extra fan slots in my PC, forgot to mention the case is a little Corsair 300R. Can i use this non gaming for a couple days / a week or is it best to just shut it off now and wait?

its French website but feel free to make suggestions so i dont run into same problem in future

You should be fine if you stick to relatively light usage for the time being. I doubt you'll need to leave it off until you get a new PSU.

With that said, you can be absolutely sure it won't bork out by keeping it off for the time being, but you don't really need to.

DAYTONA

PROCESSOR - AMD RYZEN 7 3700X
MOTHERBOARD - ASUS PRIME X370-PRO
RAM - 32GB (4x8GB) CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX DDR4-2400
CPU COOLING - NOCTUA NH-D14
GRAPHICS CARD - EVGA NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 980Ti SC+ ACX 2.0 w/ BACKPLATE
BOOT and PROGRAMS - CORSAIR MP600 1TB
GAMES and FILES - TOSHIBA 2TB
INTERNAL BACKUP - WESTERN DIGITAL GREEN 4TB
POWER SUPPLY - CORSAIR RM850i
CASE - CORSAIR OBSIDIAN 750D

You should be fine if you stick to relatively light usage for the time being. I doubt you'll need to leave it off until you get a new PSU.

With that said, you can be absolutely sure it won't bork out by keeping it off for the time being, but you don't really need to.

if its the PSU then he should stop using it asap. if the psu goes it could take other components with it. 

super flower and seasonic are pretty good. 

if its the PSU then he should stop using it asap. if the psu goes it could take other components with it. 

I like to live dangerously.

DAYTONA

I like to live dangerously.

so I unplugged my pc to investigate the next day and do it right. I plugged in my old pc and bang it's psu most likely died, so now I have no idea what to do. at the moment I will probably just order a new psu a maybe test my main psu on the one I suspect blew up. So now I'm a iPad warrior with sad.

so I unplugged my pc to investigate the next day and do it right. I plugged in my old pc and bang it's psu most likely died, so now I have no idea what to do. at the moment I will probably just order a new psu a maybe test my main psu on the one I suspect blew up. So now I'm a iPad warrior with sad.

Yeah, get a new PSU at the soonest convenience.

DAYTONA

My brother used this 6 months before we bought a second PC, he reminded me he by mistake put extra paste on the h100i since it didnt look to be pasted, so i want to buy new paste  and redo the heatsink just to see if thats possibly where the burning smell came from rendering a hour at 75 degrees.

Is there any high end paste you can suggest or should i just buy whatever i can local?

I want to just do the Xs and Os to cover everything.

Local store says i have 2 years store warranty as well as whatever the manufacture has

Bought some Gelid gc-extreme  thermal paste and a power supply tester both from ebay vendors of 10-100k 99% positive rating. i guess thats all i can do for now

I just know taking the PC into the store i bought the hardware from will probably cost more then 2-3 gold psu