Need Help: Autostart Program in GUI (Linux FC 6)

So, long story short, I have an assignment to get a program running on start for all users in cli, or gui. I  have it working via cli, but I cannot get the file to start when in GUI automatically.

I need it to start in GUI automatically as well, but cannot get it to.

I tried adding it to the autostart section under gnome-session-properties, but it doesn't seem to work, and when I added the lines in /etc/profile I added, to /etc/bashrc so it at least autostarts in a bash window opened in GUI, it causes the VM to halt on boot at udev.

File: /usr/bin/phmenu/phmenu

Supporting files:

in the same /usr/bin/phmenu directory:
phlist1
phoneadd
phonefind
sort_phones
corp_phones
.myfuncs

and a temp directory (/usr/bin/phmenu/tmp)

Let me know if you need to know the code of the files, and I can paste it in, but it can also be found in the ends of Chapters 6 and 7 of: Guide to UNIX Using Linux, FOURTH EDITION (ISBN-13: 978-1-4188-3723-5).

Basically what I've done so far, is:

Added some lines to /etc/profile to get the file to run at startup for init 3 which works for all users
PATH=$PATH:.:/usr/bin/phmenu
CLEAR=`clear`
export CLEAR
. /usr/bin/phmenu/.myfuncs
phmenu
Added the same lines to /etc/bashrc for GUI (startx window bash terminal)
Worked, but caused VM to stop loading after udev for all subsequent loads
Selected phmenu file via gnome-session-properties for autostart
Tried adding it to /etc/xdg/autostart
Don't know how it works, as it appears everything already in there is a directory and not a file

Any help would be appreciated!

NOTE: I'm a severe noob with Linux, this is part of an assignment for my second course on it, and my knowledge is limited to what's been taught in the textbook mentioned above.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" - Arthur C. Clarke
Just because it may seem like magic, I'm not a wizard, just a nerd. I am fallible. 

Use the quote button or @<username> to reply to people | Mark solved troubleshooting topics as such, selecting the correct answer, and follow them to get replies!

Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials Troubleshooting Section

bump

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" - Arthur C. Clarke
Just because it may seem like magic, I'm not a wizard, just a nerd. I am fallible. 

Use the quote button or @<username> to reply to people | Mark solved troubleshooting topics as such, selecting the correct answer, and follow them to get replies!

Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials Troubleshooting Section