4k monitors with 75hz and up

Hey all,

I currently own a syncmaster 940BW and looking to upgrade toward a 4k Monitor.

which is 75hz and not feeling like downgrading to 60 hz especially since I got used to 75hz.

Kept my eyes on Linus' 

ASUS RoG Swift PG278Q review, however he said that the colors were not the best.

I am also going to buy a new PC next year (7-9 months from now) with the best specs on the market, so my questions are:

• Is there any improvement/technology coming up in the monitor market that is worth the wait?
  • will the prices of the the current 4k monitors (avg 900$) go down.  
  • --> If so by how much? (rate)
  • Should I buy something on black Friday or during Christmas time so the prices are down?
  • Any suggestions on this matter?

Thanks guys, really appreciate it

unless u got quad sli titan X or any other crazy ass gpu configuration, dont even think about 4k and gaming especially if its 75hz coz ur gonna need 75fps for that ( let stand getting 75fps on 4k with proper settings, with everything low sure but thats not why som1 wants 4k )

(◑‿◐)

Hey all,

I currently have a 75hz monitor and not feeling like downgrading to 60 hz especially since I got used to 75hz.

Kept my eyes on Linus' 

ASUS RoG Swift PG278Q review, however he said that the colors were not the best.

I am also going to buy a new PC next year (7-9 months from now) with the best specs on the market, so my questions are:

• Is there any improvement/technology coming up in the monitor market that is worth the wait?
  • will the prices of the the current 4k monitors (avg 900$) go down.  
  • --> If so by how much? (rate)
  • Should I buy something on black Friday or during Christmas time so the prices are down?
  • Any suggestions on this matter?

Thanks guys, really appreciate it

I would suggest you try to overclock your monitor. For me, my monitor is happily running at 75Hz when stock it is at 60Hz. If you do not wish to overclock, you can always buy a 120/144Hz monitor but do remember that your graphics card must be powerful enough to run at that frame rate.

Quote me if you want me to see your message. Like my post if it helped. Click "Show More" to see things that I use.

Desktop (2014): CPU: Intel Core i5 4690k @ 3.50GHz | GPU: MSi GTX 970 Gaming 4G | Motherboard: MSi Z97 Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x4GB G.Skill RipJaws X 1600MHz + 2x4GB HyperX Black 1600MHz | SSD: Samsung 750 Evo 120GB | HDD: WD Black 1TB | Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212x | PSU: Corsair VS650 | Case: Cooler Master Elite 431 Plus | OS: Windows 10 Home

Laptop (2017): Model: Asus UX310U

Peripherals: Monitor: Samsung S24D300 OC@75Hz + Viewsonic XG2401 (144Hz) | Mouse: Logitech G305 | Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Chroma V2 | Headset: HyperX Cloud Core | Speakers: Logitech Z333 | Additional: Logitech G29

Mobiles: Samsung Pixon (2010-2012) | Samsung Galaxy Ace (2012-2013) | Samsung Galaxy S3 (2013-2016) | Samsung Note 4 (2015)(Lost) | Samsung Galaxy S7 (2016-2019) | Samsung Galaxy S10 (2019 - Current) | Additional: ASUS Zenwatch 2 (2016)

unless u got quad sli titan X or any other crazy ass gpu configuration, dont even think about 4k and gaming especially if its 75hz coz ur gonna need 75fps for that ( let stand getting 75fps on 4k with proper settings, with everything low sure but thats not why som1 wants 4k )

"I am also going to buy a new PC next year (7-9 months from now) with the best specs on the market"

980ti 2-way SLI can handle than, medium high settings

"I am also going to buy a new PC next year (7-9 months from now) with the best specs on the market"

current hardware isnt powerful enough yet to maintain 75minfps on 4k without reducing settings :P

(◑‿◐)

980ti 2-way SLI can handle than, medium high settings

medium high looks damn ugly on almost all games, if u were to play on medium just to get 4k its better going ultra on full hd x_x

(◑‿◐)

medium high looks damn ugly on almost all games, if u were to play on medium just to get 4k its better going ultra on full hd x_x

Well in most games I have played there is almost no difference between ultra and high, on medium settings you see a small difference and low looks damn ugly.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/nvidia-geforce-gtx-titan-x-gm200-maxwell,4091-3.html

1 card gives 33fps min at 4k (in far cry 4), so SLI min cant be that bad.

sli wont be enough, 3-4card maybe but then ul get microstuttering issues eventhough u can run it :P

and thats looking at far cry 4,  wait till the newer games come out soon :P

(◑‿◐)

sli wont be enough, 3-4card maybe but then ul get microstuttering issues eventhough u can run it :P

and thats looking at far cry 4,  wait till the newer games come out soon :P

We dont got a monitor that goes beyond 60fps yet, meaning you only need to hit the 30-60fps range, which 2 high end gpus can handle. Heck, you are able to pull it off with 1 card, if you dont mind lowering the setttings.

We dont got a monitor that goes beyond 60fps yet, meaning you only need to hit the 30-60fps range, which 2 high end gpus can handle. Heck, you are able to pull it off with 1 card, if you dont mind lowering the setttings.

ummm hz is equal to fps  60hz monitor will allow u to see 60fps maximum, 120hz will allow u to see 120fps maximum, hence why vsync syncs with ur monitor 1:1 ratio

(◑‿◐)

Hey all,

which is 75hz and not feeling like downgrading to 60 hz especially since I got used to 75hz.

Kept my eyes on Linus' 

60hz is the limit of 4k panels atm, so will take a while before we see higher as they need to wait for display port 1.3 or higher first.

If that is to low, get one of the new 3440x1440 monitors that comes out this year. They should support 60hz+.

ASUS said: "4K at 120Hz (or 8K at 60Hz) will require DisplayPort 1.3 (which is not a finalised spec yet), and we estimate 1-2 years before there is the DP 1.3 spec, GPU support, and a scalar chip for the LCD electronics that could support this. HDMI 2.0 is only good for 4K at 60Hz"

Frequency Horizontal: 31.5-134 kHz, Frequency Vertical: 30-75 Hz
Its newegg that got the info wrong, as Frequency got nothing to do with refresh rate (fps).
Even reviews says 60Hz is the limit: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2463609,00.asp

"The panel in the monitor is capable of refreshing at rates of up to 75 Hz, though the DisplayPort interface limits that to 60 Hz due to bandwidth limitations."
So guess you get 75 Hz at lower resolution, but not at 4k.

ASUS said: "4K at 120Hz (or 8K at 60Hz) will require DisplayPort 1.3 (which is not a finalised spec yet), and we estimate 1-2 years before there is the DP 1.3 spec, GPU support, and a scalar chip for the LCD electronics that could support this. HDMI 2.0 is only good for 4K at 60Hz"

Frequency Horizontal: 31.5-134 kHz, Frequency Vertical: 30-75 Hz

Its newegg that got the info wrong, as Frequency got nothing to do with refresh rate (fps).

Even reviews says 60Hz is the limit: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2463609,00.asp

Edit: http://www.tomshardware.com/news/nec-ea244uhd-ips-4k,27230.html

"The panel in the monitor is capable of refreshing at rates of up to 75 Hz, though the DisplayPort interface limits that to 60 Hz due to bandwidth limitations."

So guess you get 75 Hz at lower resolution, but not at 4k.

DisplayPort 1.2 has enough bandwidth for 4K 75Hz, Tom's Hardware, PCmag, etc. are wrong. Someone somewhere made an assumption and everyone else is likely just repeating it. Such is life on the internet.

HDMI 2.0: 14.4Gbps

DisplayPort 1.2: 17.28Gbps

DisplayPort 1.2 has enough bandwidth for 4K 75Hz, Tom's Hardware, PCmag, etc. are wrong. Someone somewhere made an assumption and everyone else is likely just repeating it. Such is life on the internet.

HDMI 2.0: 14.4Gbps

DisplayPort 1.2: 17.28Gbps

How many Gbps does 4K push @ 75Hz then?

System: Ryzen 7 5800X - Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master - Noctua D15S Chromax - 32GB 3600 RAM - EVGA Black 2080Ti

3840x2160 at 60Hz/24-bit color: 11.94Gbps

3840x2160 at 75Hz/24-bit color: 14.93Gbps

Though you need to add about 10% or so for timing format overhead.

Well, I don't know how you've calculated that, or if it really is that simple, but your assertion that "someone somewhere made an assumption" is definitely incorrect, as numerous manufacturers have said 4K is limited to 60Hz with DP 1.2, and it even says so on the Display Port website. So either your math is wrong, or perhaps it's more complicated than simple bandwidth numbers... OR it's one big Illuminati conspiracy which the monitor manufactures and Display Port themselves are all in on, for nefarious and sinister purposes we can only guess.

System: Ryzen 7 5800X - Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master - Noctua D15S Chromax - 32GB 3600 RAM - EVGA Black 2080Ti

Well, I don't know how you've calculated that, or if it really is that simple, but your assertion that "someone somewhere made an assumption" is definitely incorrect, as numerous manufacturers have said 4K is limited to 60Hz with DP 1.2, and it even says so on the Display Port website. So either your math is wrong, or perhaps it's more complicated than simple bandwidth numbers... OR it's one big Illuminati conspiracy which the monitor manufactures and Display Port themselves are all in on, for nefarious and sinister purposes we can only guess.

Keep in mind that official specs tend to stick to standard frequencies, not inbetween. For example, HDMI 1.0 caps at 1920x1080 60Hz officially, but that's not the EXACT limit. It has enough bandwidth to do 61Hz, or 62Hz, or 63Hz, or 63.1Hz, or 63.2Hz, etc... But generally they only list the highest refresh rate that displays and/or content have standardized around, which is 24, 30, 60, 120, and 144. 75Hz, while not completely non-standard, has been very much in the background since the days of CRTs, and isn't really considered by most to be a standard frequency that anyone cares about. Whenever a manufacturer says "DP 1.2 maxes at 4K 60Hz", it's in response to someone asking "are you going to make a 4K 120Hz monitor?". But 75Hz would be doable. It's just that no one cares about that number :P

Riddle me this, HDMI 2.0 can do 4K 60Hz, and DP 1.2 has 20% more bandwidth, so where does that extra go if DP 1.2 also caps at 4K 60Hz?

And the calculation for bandwidth is really pretty simple :) if you have 3840x2160 resolution, that's 8,294,400 pixels per frame. At a color depth of 8 bits per subpixel, that's 24 bits per pixel (8 bits for red, 8 for green, 8 for blue), which is 199,065,600 bits per frame. At 60 frames per second, that's 11,943,936,000 bits per second, or 11.94 Gigabits per second. And consider an extra 10% or so for timing overhead, usually I assume CVT-RB is being used.

Basically, 3840x2160 at 60Hz/24-bit color is just 3840 x 2160 x 60 x 24.

Riddle me this, HDMI 2.0 can do 4K 60Hz, and DP 1.2 has 20% more bandwidth, so where does that extra go if DP 1.2 also caps at 4K 60Hz?

And the calculation for bandwidth is really pretty simple :) if you have 3840x2160 resolution, that's 8,294,400 pixels per frame. At a color depth of 8 bits per subpixel, that's 24 bits per pixel (8 bits for red, 8 for green, 8 for blue), which is 199,065,600 bits per frame. At 60 frames per second, that's 11,943,936,000 bits per second, or 11.94 Gigabits per second. And consider an extra 10% or so for timing overhead, usually I assume CVT-RB is being used.

Basically, 3840x2160 at 60Hz/24-bit color is just 3840 x 2160 x 60 x 24.

"DisplayPort 1.2a systems today can support 4K displays at 60Hz refresh and full 30-bit 4:4:4 color (non-chroma subsampled)"

That might be where the extra bandwidth goes.