5820k vs 4790k at same clock speed.

Go to solution Solved by Exploded117,

What do you mean by dont forget to follow your topics???

And thanks :) but if thats the case then why do people that benchmark these in crysis, witcher, ect get different frame rates if they are all the same with gaming after an i5?

If you follow your topics (by using that button in the top right) you will get notifications on replies to your topics even if people don't quote you in their post (like I did)

I said significant difference. Frame rates will vary slightly depending on which processor you have over an i5, but not so much as to if you're only going to be gaming you should go out and buy a 5960X because it will only give you about an 8ish FPS difference. (unless of course you want to 4-way SLI Titans, in that case you will need X99 for the PCI-E lanes.) That is also another reason some people with higher-tier processors can also get higher FPS rates. If someone did 4-way SLI Titans with an i5, it would bottleneck because it doesn't provide enough PCI-E lanes to even handle those 4 cards. Someone with an X99 processor on the other hand will have the PCI-E lanes for those 4 GPUs and therefore get better gaming performance.

I've seen so many reviews lately of the stock 4790k vs stock 5820k where the 4790k wins in pretty much all gaming... But heres my question.

If you kept the stock 4790k at 4.0 or 4.4 ( cant remember) And you could OC the 5820k to 4.0 or 4.4 Would the 4790k still be better in any circumstance? 

TX10 Build Log: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/456229-tx10-build-log/

Case: TX10-D   Proccessor: i7-5820k   MotherBoard: Asrockx99 Extreme4   Ram: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (DDR4-2400)   GPU: Asus Strix OC 980ti   Storage: 850pro 500gb, 850pro 500gb, 850pro 256gb, WD black 16tb total, Silicon Power S60 120GB   PSU: Seasonic snow silent 1050   Monitors: Three of Asus VG248QE 144Hz 24.0"

I've seen so many reviews lately of the stock 4790k vs stock 5820k where the 4790k wins in pretty much all gaming... But heres my question.

If you kept the stock 4790k at 4.0 or 4.4 ( cant remember) And you could OC the 5820k to 4.0 or 4.4 Would the 4790k still be better in any circumstance? 

They'd be nearly identical. But what's the point in getting the 5820k just for gaming? Are you planning on running 3 gpus?

Don't forget to follow your topics.

In gaming you won't see a difference. For gaming you won't see any significant performance differences anywhere above an i5. However, in productivity and CPU intensive applications you will see a huge difference.

"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party."

-Ron White

They'd be nearly identical. But what's the point in getting the 5820k just for gaming? Are you planning on running 3 gpus?

I already have both of the chips actually. I was just curious as to if theyd be close to the same. I'm tired of having two computers ( one for gaming and one for rendering/audio/recording/ect) so i'm thinking of just ditching the one with the 4790k for my other one which has a 5820k just wanted to make sure that i wouldnt take any hit as far as gaming goes.

Case: TX10-D   Proccessor: i7-5820k   MotherBoard: Asrockx99 Extreme4   Ram: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (DDR4-2400)   GPU: Asus Strix OC 980ti   Storage: 850pro 500gb, 850pro 500gb, 850pro 256gb, WD black 16tb total, Silicon Power S60 120GB   PSU: Seasonic snow silent 1050   Monitors: Three of Asus VG248QE 144Hz 24.0"

I already have both of the chips actually. I was just curious as to if theyd be close to the same. I'm tired of having two computers ( one for gaming and one for rendering/audio/recording/ect) so i'm thinking of just ditching the one with the 4790k for my other one which has a 5820k just wanted to make sure that i wouldnt take any hit as far as gaming goes.

You won't see any difference at all man. Yeah, just sell the other system. You could probably overclock even further on the 5820k and see some pretty good gains for work and games.

Don't forget to follow your topics.

In gaming you won't see a difference. For gaming you won't see any significant performance differences anywhere above an i5. However, in productivity and CPU intensive applications you will see a huge difference.

And thanks :) but if thats the case then why do people that benchmark these in crysis, witcher, ect get different frame rates if they are all the same with gaming after an i5?

You won't see any difference at all man. Yeah, just sell the other system. You could probably overclock even further on the 5820k and see some pretty good gains for work and games.

Thats what im hoping :) thanks!!

If you follow your topics (by using that button in the top right) you will get notifications on replies to your topics even if people don't quote you in their post (like I did)

I said significant difference. Frame rates will vary slightly depending on which processor you have over an i5, but not so much as to if you're only going to be gaming you should go out and buy a 5960X because it will only give you about an 8ish FPS difference. (unless of course you want to 4-way SLI Titans, in that case you will need X99 for the PCI-E lanes.) That is also another reason some people with higher-tier processors can also get higher FPS rates. If someone did 4-way SLI Titans with an i5, it would bottleneck because it doesn't provide enough PCI-E lanes to even handle those 4 cards. Someone with an X99 processor on the other hand will have the PCI-E lanes for those 4 GPUs and therefore get better gaming performance.

"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party."

-Ron White

Because it's not the same. Most games probably will see you minimial differences, maybe 4-5 frames more than an i5. But unless its some ancient game, it probably won't be exactly the same. The i7 just isn't worth the extra money over the i5 to justify that 5-10% improvement.

Because it's not the same. Most games probably will see you minimial differences, maybe 4-5 frames more than an i5. But unless its some ancient game, it probably won't be exactly the same. The i7 just isn't worth the extra money over the i5 to justify that 5-10% improvement.

Yup. No point in getting for just games unless you just have cash to blow.

Yup. No point in getting for just games unless you just have cash to blow.

Ok thank you all very much :) thanks for clarifying :)

an overclocked G3258 can match the performance of a 5960X in gaming. (Well, most games). Its pretty amazing, so that should answer your original question. Unless your doing productivity work such as video editing, there is no reason to go X99.

an overclocked G3258 can match the performance of a 5960X in gaming. (Well, most games). Its pretty amazing, so that should answer your original question. Unless your doing productivity work such as video editing, there is no reason to go X99.

Well, he has two systems. One with a 4790k and the other with a 5820k. He thought that the 4790k was better than his for games 5820k that he used for work. But he's aware now that they are nearly the same.

Well, he has two systems. One with a 4790k and the other with a 5820k. He thought that the 4790k was better than his for games 5820k that he used for work. But he's aware now that they are nearly the same.

This :)

At the time i actually needed two separate computers.. but now its not needed and more of a pain in the butt. So i was trying to figure out which to keep and which to sell/store somewhere