Cpu choices

I am planning a pc build for myself as an introductory to pc gaming. I plan on getting an r9 390 as a gpu but need help on the cpu...

I want an i5, but which version? I started with the 4460 but moved some parts around to fit in the 4690k and a cooler. Will the extra $50 be worth it just for the cpu? What benefits will I be getting if I get the unlocked i5 4690k over the 4460?

Thanks for responding!!

Do you plan on overclocking? What are the rest of your intended specs?

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Do you plan on overclocking? What are the rest of your intended specs?

It seems like I would overclock but it seems quite daunting to me. I know there are lots of guides but I have no experience at all with pcs besides cheap laptops so if I do it won't be for a while

The 4690k at stock performs only marginally better than a 4460, and in games, I'd warrant the difference is within the margin for error clock per clock.

If you want to overclock the cpu, and feel you can get a solid 4.2-4.5ghz out of it, then the 4690K is going to yield better results.

However, if you're in the pricerange of the 4690k, then you're in the pricerange of a Xeon 1231v3, which I always suggest over the 4690k. It is a 4 core, hyperthreaded cpu. Basically, it is an i7 w/o the integrated gpu on the chip. (useless if you have a desktop gpu in there) It still kicks ass in games, and means you have the capacity to multitask much better than the 4690K.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

It seems like I would overclock but it seems quite daunting to me. I know there are lots of guides but I have no experience at all with pcs besides cheap laptops so if I do it won't be for a while

Don't buy an unlocked CPU for the off chance you might overclock - waste of money. The 4460 would suffice just fine.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

The 4690k at stock performs only marginally better than a 4460, and in games, I'd warrant the difference is within the margin for error clock per clock.

If you want to overclock the cpu, and feel you can get a solid 4.2-4.5ghz out of it, then the 4690K is going to yield better results.

However, if you're in the pricerange of the 4690k, then you're in the pricerange of a Xeon 1231v3, which I always suggest over the 4690k. It is a 4 core, hyperthreaded cpu. Basically, it is an i7 w/o the integrated gpu on the chip. (useless if you have a desktop gpu in there) It still kicks ass in games, and means you have the capacity to multitask much better than the 4690K.

So you said integrated graphics is useless with a gpu or the xeon processor ... Got a bit confused by your wording. And why would you recommend the xeon?

So you said integrated graphics is useless with a gpu or the xeon processor ... Got a bit confused by your wording. And why would you recommend the xeon?

The xeon performs the same in games as a stock clocked 4690K, while also giving you a lot more power, and multitasking capacity. It has a slightly larger cache, meaning slightly better performing cores, but slightly lower clock speed. The reason the 4690k beats the xeon in games is if you can run a solid overclock on it, of 4.3ghz+ or in that area.

And the cpu not having an integrated gpu makes no difference in your case, if you are going to get a dedicated gpu, then the cpu is just for cpu tasks, and doesn't need an iGPU.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

The xeon performs the same in games as a stock clocked 4690K, while also giving you a lot more power, and multitasking capacity.

And the cpu not having an integrated gpu makes no difference in your case, if you are going to get a dedicated gpu, then the cpu is just for cpu tasks, and doesn't need an iGPU.

Would the xeon perform better in things like streaming?

The xeon performs the same in games as a stock clocked 4690K, while also giving you a lot more power, and multitasking capacity. It has a slightly larger cache, meaning slightly better performing cores, but slightly lower clock speed. The reason the 4690k beats the xeon in games is if you can run a solid overclock on it, of 4.3ghz+ or in that area.

The IGP does come in handy for troubleshooting.

Would the xeon perform better in things like streaming?

Yes.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Xw9J99

So you would recommend something like this over the i5? And do these processors need an aftermarket cooler?

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Xw9J99

So you would recommend something like this over the i5? And do these processors need an aftermarket cooler?

Yes, yes I would.

WD harddrive,

Asus motherboard, on a z87 chipset

solid ram, 

Great cpu cooler.

And no, but the stock cooler from intel is loud, and runs hot. I'd advise an aftermarket, but if you can't squeeze it in on day one, then it can wait for a bit. The stock cooler will do, it's just loud. If your budget doesnt allow for an aftermarket cooler, then you can use the stock, save up for a month or something, then just pick one up to enjoy a much quieter system.

Yes, yes I would.

WD harddrive,

Asus motherboard, on a z87 chipset

solid ram,

Great cpu cooler.

And no, but the stock cooler from intel is loud, and runs hot. I'd advise an aftermarket, but if you can't squeeze it in on day one, then it can wait for a bit. The stock cooler will do, it's just loud.

Thank you so much!! Would have never thought of xeon processors! Also, I've been looking at cases and is there anything wrong with lower price cases? Or is it worth it to get a higher quality case. I would love to have the Razer h440 but its $120.... Was going to start another topic but you seem very informed. Thank you!!

Thank you so much!! Would have never thought of xeon processors! Also, I've been looking at cases and is there anything wrong with lower price cases? Or is it worth it to get a higher quality case. I would love to have the Razer h440 but its $120.... Was going to start another topic but you seem very informed. Thank you!!

Lower quality cases ussually do just fine, they simply lack quality materials and features. But, if you don't want to cough up for a nicer case now you can use a cheapo one for as long as you want, then upgrade to something better later down the road once you can a hold of the money. I'd advise a mid-range case, but even something like a corsair 200r is totally fine if you just want to use that for now on.