How many radiators should I have?

Go to solution Solved by Ryoku,

900D

General rule for normal cooling is 1x 120mm rad per component, that being said I'd add an extra 120mm for good measure but that's my personal preference. If you plan on overclocking you'll want even more rad space.  So a 480 would be plenty with room for some overclocking.

Doing my first custom water cooling build and need advice on the build.

I attached my shopping cart from EKWB, if possible let me know if here is a problem and I'm also concerned if two radiators is to much or could I run just the one larger radiator below.

Here's the link to my PC build, ignore the closed loop cooler that's so I won't get a error in the build.

As well I was planning to change the Titan to a hydro copper, just not listed.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/NqFF6h

post-249505-0-63366400-1438954368_thumb.

You should buy the D5 pump, it's the better pump you can get.

One 480 rad is more than enough.

1 is fine if your just planning on cooling your CPU

Cpu and GPU, it'll be a hydro copper Titan with 5820k. Would you think one quad radiator in the bottom be alright? Or maybe two average size ones.

EKWB has that crazy large one just worried it's going to take up all the room below where I want to put the pump and Rez.

Cpu and GPU, it'll be a hydro copper Titan with 5820k. Would you think one quad radiator in the bottom be alright? Or maybe two average size ones.

EKWB has that crazy large one just worried it's going to take up all the room below where I want to put the pump and Rez.

Which case you got?

900D

General rule for normal cooling is 1x 120mm rad per component, that being said I'd add an extra 120mm for good measure but that's my personal preference. If you plan on overclocking you'll want even more rad space.  So a 480 would be plenty with room for some overclocking.

Case - Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 : Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Gene : PSU - Corsair AX760 : CPU - Intel i7 4790k w/ EK-Supremacy EVO Copper/Acetal Water Block  : Memory - Corsair Vengence Pro 24gb 1600mhz : GPU - Evga GTX 780 Ti Classified w/ EK-FC780 GTX Classy - Acetal+Nickel Water Block : Storage - Samsung 840 Evo 250gb & 850 Evo 1tb SSDs, 2x 6TB External HDDs : Fans - 5x Noctua NF-F12 & 1x NF-S12A : Display - 24in Benq XL2420TE : Rads - Darkside LPX360 & LP240 : Pump/Res - EK-XRES 140 D5 Vario Pump

If you have the money I would spend the extra to put your CPU and GPU on the own loop with there own Rad even if they were smaller like a 360 or a 240mm but a quad would work also.

Alright think I got it, just need to see what fits well and good to go! Appreciate everything!

Alright think I got it, just need to see what fits well and good to go! Appreciate everything!

If you're buying at the EK store, i'd pick up 4 vardars in the colour you like (black, grey or white) they are excellent fans. Most people add more rad space simply for aesthetics, like the rear 120/140, doesnt do much, but it can look nice :P  I would also get a bottle of copper sulfate (PT nuke) since it lessens the chances of growth and it's dirt cheap

System

• CPU
    I7-4790K @ 4,7GHz
  • Motherboard
    Asus MAXIMUS Formula VI
  • RAM
    Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB Kit (2x8GB) 1866MHz
  • GPU
    MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X
  • Case
    Cooler Master Cosmos SE
  • Storage
    Samsung 840 EVO 500GB+WD Green 3TB
  • PSU
    EVGA SuperNOVA 850G2 80PLUS Gold Certified
  • Display(s)
    ASUS PB277Q 27" WQHD 2560x1440 75Hz 1ms
  • Cooling
    Corsair H105 with AP121s and Phanteks fans
  • Keyboard
    Logitech G610 Orion
  • Mouse
    E-3lue E-Blue Mazer II 2500 DPI Blue LED 2.4GHz Wireless Optical Gaming Mouse
  • Sound
    Audio-Technica ATH-M20x
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

I attached my shopping cart from EKWB, if possible let me know if here is a problem and I'm also concerned if two radiators is to much or could I run just the one larger radiator below.

Here's the link to my PC build, ignore the closed loop cooler that's so I won't get a error in the build.

Darn, I was too late, you've already picked a 'correct' answer. Well, here's a more correct answer: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/332558-how-much-rads-for-cpu-gpu/?p=4541663

I explain the math and how to use the chart in that post. For your parts:

TDP of CPU: 140W

TDP of Titan X (why not just get a 980 ti? They perform basically identically?): 250W

Pre-OC TDP: 390W

390 / .00022 {Using the 360mm version of your rad from EK in the chart I linked} = 1,772,727.272

1,772,727.272 / (120 * 30) = 492. Thus, your 480mm radiator is just barely sufficient for a non-overclocked heat load. How much heat will you have if you overclock? Well, truth be told that depends on how far you can push your components, but 200W on your CPU and 275W on your graphics card aren't out of the question.

475 / .00022 = 2,159,090.909

2,159,090.909 / (120*30) = 599

So...if you OC both, you'd probably want another 120mm radiator (480 + 120 = 600). You could also play it safe and get one of the Monsta thick-rads from alpha cool. That would change the math to being:

(2,159,090.909 - (120 * 120 * 80)) / (120 * 30)

because I believe those rads are 80mm thick. But yea, 30/80 are the radiator thickness. The reason I do 120 * 120 * 80 in the numerator is because fans are square, and the 2.1 million number is cubic millimeters, so you have to multiple all three dimensions of the radiator in order to subtract a correct value.

Anyway, a bit of math can answer your questions. :)

edit: Fixed math on the 80mm rad calculation.

I would use 480/560mm on top and bottom. and a 240/280 next to the PSU. Just like Jay's Skunkworks.

I really like to fit as may radiator as I can without make the tube so crazy.

BTW, try to not use 120/140mm radiator. It take a lot of space and make the tube go crazy, and have little performance increase.