Skylake chipset lanes and GPU configs

Can GPUs use Skylake chipset lanes if they run out of CPU lanes? So you could have 3 or 4 way GPU setups?

Could chipset lanes act as CPU lanes?

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

well some motherboard manufactures include 3rd party controllers to increase the pcie lanes supported

so i guess it depends on the motherboard

I don't think so.  The chipset lanes are designed for other stuff, which is good if you have a PCIe SSD.  This way you can still use all 16 lanes for GPU, and use the other lanes for your SSD.  And you can still technically do 3 way SLI, but you'll be running at x8, x4, x4  - could be a tiny bit of a bottle neck at x4, but with the horrible scaling of 3 way SLI, it probably is not noticeable.

i7 4790k @4.7 | GTX 1070 Strix | Z97 Sabertooth | 32GB  DDR3 2400 mhz | Intel 750 SSD | Define R5 | Corsair K70 | Steel Series Rival | XB271, 1440p, IPS, 165hz | 5.1 Surround
PC Build

Desk Build

Can GPUs use Skylake chipset lanes if they run out of CPU lanes? So you could have 3 or 4 way GPU setups?

Chances are only some motherboards will be able to, through use of a PLX chip

"Rawr XD"

Check out the EVGA Z170 Classified, 40 lanes for quad SLI. The ASRock OC Formula appears to have extra for its 3 M.2 sockets.