What does ReadyBoost do exactly?

Go to solution Solved by Kyuubixchidori,

So I have a USB flash drive and i want to know what it does when i put it in ReadyBoost. I know it does something to the affect of making my computer faster but how? Does it use the USB as extra RAM if the amount is exceeded, if so how effective is it? should i depend on it entirely for extra RAM? Also how reliable is it?

its only good for ANCIENT Computers. the purpose is to use usb drives instead of hard drives for caching and such. would only use it on a 8+ year old pc, or 1 gig of ram or less

So I have a USB flash drive and i want to know what it does when i put it in ReadyBoost. I know it does something to the affect of making my computer faster but how? Does it use the USB as extra RAM if the amount is exceeded, if so how effective is it? should i depend on it entirely for extra RAM? Also how reliable is it?

CPU Ryzen 5 3600 | Motherboard MSI B550 | RAM 32 GB Corsair Vengance Pro | GPU EVGA GTX 980ti | Case Corsair 4000X | Storage Seagate Barracuda 2TB HDD,  Team GX2 1TB SSD | PSU Sentey 850w 80+ Bronze | Cooling AMD Wraith RGB | PCPartPicker URL https://pcpartpicker.com/list/RN7kGc |

I never experienced a great performance boost so far!

But they say it adds up the ram using USB

MacBook Pro 13" Mid 2012 w/Core i5 3210M and glorious HD 4000 Graphics

I never experienced a great performance boost so far!

But they say it adds up the ram using USB

yes and it works well with usb 3 drives

if you have 1gb-3gb of ram.

Uses a USB drive as a cache (does not add ram as such)

Was used in Vista more but it probably slowed peoples' computers down more than it sped them up.

its only good for ANCIENT Computers. the purpose is to use usb drives instead of hard drives for caching and such. would only use it on a 8+ year old pc, or 1 gig of ram or less