Is this suppose to happen on a newly built computer

ingoi
Go to solution Solved by yoghurt13,

If you have signal with iGPU, check your BIOS for any video related settings, especially allowing the PCI-e card to be primary. If there is no signal with either ports, Two things could be the problem: Faulty RAM, or Faulty MOBO.

So I recently built a new computer and it boots up all fine but two things have gone wrong.

*UPDATED* Aug 5

iGpu allows the monitor to turn on

1. My monitor will not display anything(no signal)

*UPDATED* - RAM wasn't completely in - fixed

2. After around 5 mins or so the computers shuts off and reboots - I am not sure if thats normal or not, as this computer has absolutely nothing installed yet.

- (besides the cloned HDD)

- All the fans start up when computer turns on (they even glow, GPU glows as well)

Things I have Attempted

- Removing/Cleaning/Re-locating(to different slots) - RAM Cards

-Taking out GPU and putting it back in

-Taking out power cord and holding start button a few times

UPDATED* 

-Reset CMOS

-Check wiring again

-One Ram slot to different Slots

- Reseating GPU/RAM again

-------

I have been trying to get my display to work but to no avail. My monitor is a LG 27MP47HQ-P 27in Widescreen IPS LED Monitor, I used both an adapter(VGA to HDMI) and a plain HDMI cord to try to hook it up but every time I get a  ’no signal ’message. Hooked it up to the motherboard and the GPU and nothing would come up. Went and double-checked if I wired everything correctly and it seems like I did.

----

Computer parts are -(I used PcPartsPicker to make sure they were compatible - I just do not have the link at this moment)

---------

CPU - Intel Core i5 I5-4460 Haswell 3.2GHZ Processor LGA1150 6MB

GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 1329MHZ 4GB 7.0GHZ GDDR5 2xHDMI DVI DisplayPort PCI-E Video 

MotherBoard- MB ASROCK Z97 ANNIVERSARY R

PSU- EVGA SuperNOVA 550 GS 80 + Gold RATED Fully Modular ATX12V/EPS12V Power Supply 

HDD/SSD/Hard Drive- Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM SATA3 64MB Cache 3.5in Internal Hard Drive 

RAM -Corsair Vengeance Black CMZ16GX3M2A1600C10 16GB 2X8GB DDR3-1600 CL10 1.5V Dual C 

OS/Operating System- Microsoft Windows 8.1 64Bit English DVD OEM 

CASE- Corsair Carbide Series SPEC-01 Red LED ATX Gaming Case 

Monitor - LG 27MP47HQ-P 27in Widescreen IPS LED Monitor 1920x1080 5ms 5000000:1 D-SUB/HDMI Black 

Is the power all hooked up 100% properly? All I can suggest is to take the gpu out, enable igpu and run off the motherboard to make sure everything else is fine. Also use another screen even a TV if that's all you have

CPU: i5-4690K @ 4.0GHz GPU: Gigabyte Gtx 970 WindForce MOBO: Gigabyte Z97 Gaming-3 CASE: Corsair Carbide 200R PSU: Corsair RM750

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 4GBx4  MOUSE: CM Mizar KEYBOARD: Logitec G110

Did you try to overclock anything? Try resetting the CMOS. Consult your motherboard manual on how to do so.

I did not try to overclock, heck I am not even sure if you can with this motherboard.

So I recently built a new computer and it boots up all fine but two things have gone wrong.

1. My monitor will not display anything(no signal)

2. After around 5 mins or so the computers shuts off and reboots - I am not sure if thats normal or not, as this computer has absolutely nothing installed yet.

- (besides the cloned HDD)

- All the fans start up when computer turns on (they even glow, GPU glows as well)

Things I have Attempted

- Removing/Cleaning/Re-locating(to different slots) - RAM Cards

-Taking out GPU and putting it back in

-Taking out power cord and holding start button a few times

-------

I have been trying to get my display to work but to no avail. My monitor is a LG 27MP47HQ-P 27in Widescreen IPS LED Monitor, I used both an adapter(VGA to HDMI) and a plain HDMI cord to try to hook it up but every time I get a  ’no signal ’message. Hooked it up to the motherboard and the GPU and nothing would come up. Went and double-checked if I wired everything correctly and it seems like I did.

----

Computer parts are -(I used PcPartsPicker to make sure they were compatible - I just do not have the link at this moment)

---------

CPU - Intel Core i5 I5-4460 Haswell 3.2GHZ Processor LGA1150 6MB

GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 1329MHZ 4GB 7.0GHZ GDDR5 2xHDMI DVI DisplayPort PCI-E Video 

MotherBoard- MB ASROCK Z97 ANNIVERSARY R

PSU- EVGA SuperNOVA 550 GS 80 + Gold RATED Fully Modular ATX12V/EPS12V Power Supply 

HDD/SSD/Hard Drive- Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM SATA3 64MB Cache 3.5in Internal Hard Drive 

RAM -Corsair Vengeance Black CMZ16GX3M2A1600C10 16GB 2X8GB DDR3-1600 CL10 1.5V Dual C 

OS/Operating System- Microsoft Windows 8.1 64Bit English DVD OEM 

CASE- Corsair Carbide Series SPEC-01 Red LED ATX Gaming Case 

Monitor - LG 27MP47HQ-P 27in Widescreen IPS LED Monitor 1920x1080 5ms 5000000:1 D-SUB/HDMI Black 

try the standard diagnostic stuff...then if that doesn't work..try an external build with the bare min in hardware

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile

try the standard diagnostic stuff...then if that doesn't work..try an external build with the bare min in hardware

I am quite new to this so care you explain what the standard diagnostic are?

Is the power all hooked up 100% properly? All I can suggest is to take the gpu out, enable igpu and run off the motherboard to make sure everything else is fine. Also use another screen even a TV if that's all you have

I believe everything is hooked up properly, how would you enable igpu?

hmm

Make sure your CPU power is connected.

Try Clearing your CMOS

Can you try a different monitor?

If that doesn't work try connecting just bare essentials for a boot. So hook up monitor to mobo, 1 stick of ram. If it doesn't post it maybe a mobo issue. If it posts keep on adding parts until you don't post then that part will be your issue. 

I am quite new to this so care you explain what the standard diagnostic are?

1 ram stick in different slots...try this with all ram sticks

unplug power cables and plug them back in..securely

remove any unnessecary hardware

use onboard gpu

check power supply in different pc

reset bios

try piece of hardware in another pc...

try other pieces of hardware from another pc in the pc you are diagnosing...

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile

I believe everything is hooked up properly, how would you enable igpu?

After posting that I realized you'd need a screen to check that lol... You'll need to try a different screen

CPU: i5-4690K @ 4.0GHz GPU: Gigabyte Gtx 970 WindForce MOBO: Gigabyte Z97 Gaming-3 CASE: Corsair Carbide 200R PSU: Corsair RM750

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 4GBx4  MOUSE: CM Mizar KEYBOARD: Logitec G110

A quick google shows that it is possible! :D

1. Do you have any other computers/devices you can test the monitor on the ensure it is working?

2. Did you attempt to boot with the GPU removed? or just reseat it?

3. Any chance you forgot to connect the 8 pin power for the CPU at the top of the motherboard?(usually)

Well I just took my old monitor and tested it out and that one did not get a signal either, I just reseated the GPU but I can try without it if that would help, the 8 pin power for the CPU is definitely in there, one 4 +4 pin.

There is a molex connector on the board for extra power to the PCI lanes. Although i do not believe it is required, try connecting your power supply to it and see if that helps.

There is? I do not see one anywhere on the manual. Also can you explain to me what exactly is making the monitor not be connected as that would help make me do things step by step.

Edit - Note that its not that I cant get the computer to boot, it just that it reboots/crashes after a few minutes if that helps at all. Its that plus the fact I cant see anything.

Have you tried to take out the cmos battery that helped me one time when my screen wouldn't turn on but the computer was working just fine when me and my brother was trying to diagnose the problem i said to myself hey i tried everything and for almost 2 hours so i pop it out and put it back in and it booted no issues but you need to do this when the computer is turned off who knows this might fix your problems and it take seconds to do i do apologize for my bad spelling and grammar hope this help.

I'm as unsure as you are. I was just suggesting things to see if any helped. I can give more guidance tomorrow. Sleep for now.

GL

Turns out reason why it would shut down was due to the fact the ram slots weren't completely in - (whoops) I went and re-did all of my previous tests

-reset CMOS, One ram slot in different slots, resetting, only problem now is lack of a display. My motherboard doesn't make any beeps either so I can't test it that way either. What other tests can I do now? Check around for bent/missing pins? If yes to looking for that where should I start looking?

Turns out reason why it would shut down was due to the fact the ram slots weren't completely in - (whoops) I went and re-did all of my previous tests

-reset CMOS, One ram slot in different slots, resetting, only problem now is lack of a display. My motherboard doesn't make any beeps either so I can't test it that way either. What other tests can I do now? Check around for bent/missing pins? If yes to looking for that where should I start looking?

Remove the GPU, and connect the monitor to the HDMI connector of the motherboard. This will use the iGPU.

Case: Define R4 (Black - Window) | PSU: EVGA Supernova 850w Gold | Motherboard: ASUS Z97 Deluxe | SSD: Samsung 840 EVO (250GB) | CPU: Intel i7 4790K (Devil's Canyon) Delidded with CLU  GPU: ASUS STRIX 980 TI | Cooler: Corsair H100i with CLU | Extra: NZXT Hue

If you have signal with iGPU, check your BIOS for any video related settings, especially allowing the PCI-e card to be primary. If there is no signal with either ports, Two things could be the problem: Faulty RAM, or Faulty MOBO.

Remove the GPU, and connect the monitor to the HDMI connector of the motherboard. This will use the iGPU.

Alright, haven't tryed that one yet.

Holy crap, I can see the screen, I can't believe it.

Just in case does "run setup == checking bios or is it the boot menu.

Edit - Yeah it was, where in the settings could I find the video related settings?

It is the BIOS, and search in the advanced category for things related to your videocard. Something like enabling PCI-E as primary.

Edit: It should be like this gGtb6Qu.png

It is the BIOS, and search in the advanced category for things related to your videocard. Something like enabling PCI-E as primary.

Edit: It should be like this gGtb6Qu.png

Hmm, it seems my settings are exactly like the pictures. Does that mean the GPU wasn't correctly in..? The latch for the GPU always was pushed up once I slotted it in which I would assume means its in properly. The HDMI cord is suppose to go to the GPU slot right?

Is the powercable connected to your GPU from the PSU?

Also, if GPU is reseated correctly, amd no signal with hdmi, dvi or anything, the GPU is dead, you should RMA.

Is the powercable connected to your GPU from the PSU?

Also, if GPU is reseated correctly, amd no signal with hdmi, dvi or anything, the GPU is dead, you should RMA.

I'm not sure what just happend but I reseated my GPU again, took out the power cords are re-plugged them in to both the PSU and GPU and now it suddenly works...? I guess it was a loose cable from the PSU to GPU but before the GPU would literally light up and fans would spin so......I'm seriously not sure

Edit - it could have been the 2 pin wasn't entirely in which made it not get its entire power

-  switched it from VGA2 to VGA1 as well just in case but that shouldn't really effect it (on PSU)

Anyways thank you all for your responses, I wouldn't have been able to solve this problem without you guys,

I'm not sure what just happend but I reseated my GPU again, took out the power cords are re-plugged them in to both the PSU and GPU and now it suddenly works...? I guess it was a loose cable from the PSU to GPU but before the GPU would literally light up and fans would spin so......I'm seriously not sure

Edit - it could have been the 2 pin wasn't entirely in which made it not get its entire power

-  switched it from VGA2 to VGA1 as well just in case but that shouldn't really effect it (on PSU)

Anyways thank you all for your responses, I wouldn't have been able to solve this problem without you guys,

Yay! Glad we could help.

Case: Define R4 (Black - Window) | PSU: EVGA Supernova 850w Gold | Motherboard: ASUS Z97 Deluxe | SSD: Samsung 840 EVO (250GB) | CPU: Intel i7 4790K (Devil's Canyon) Delidded with CLU  GPU: ASUS STRIX 980 TI | Cooler: Corsair H100i with CLU | Extra: NZXT Hue