2TB gaming hard drive options?

Frostbitebby

Ah so they do, my bad, I don't typically recommend HDDs after 1TB. Just kinda assumed they kept going up past that.

What do you recommend then SSDs?

If anything you'd want to recommend HDDs starting at 1TB if not 2TB.

What do you recommend then SSDs?

If anything you'd want to recommend HDDs starting at 1TB if not 2TB.

That isn't what I meant, most of the time when I help someone with a build they only want 1TB of storage so I only have to look for a 1TB HDD for them.

Spoiler

4790k @ 4.5Ghz 1.180v NZXT Kraken X31 | MSI Z97 Krait | Kingston Hyper X Fury 32GB 1866Mhz, 2 DIMMs white and 2 black | GTX 980 Ti - G1 Gaming | GTX 680 - Reference | SilverStone ST75F-P | Phanteks Enthoo Pro

That isn't what I meant, most of the time when I help someone with a build they only want 1TB of storage so I only have to look for a 1TB HDD for them.

1TB is probably the worst $ per gig when looking at terabyte or larger drives. I'd much rather have a 240GB ssd for the price. 3TB HDDs are down to $100 on sale now so I see no reason to go with anything less when it comes to desktops.

1TB is probably the worst $ per gig when looking at terabyte or larger drives. I'd much rather have a 240GB ssd for the price. 3TB HDDs are down to $100 on sale now so I see no reason to go with anything less when it comes to desktops.

You're not wrong, I too would go for an SSD at the same price. But when people want $1000 build with unrealistic expectations it is better to put that extra $30-40 into the GPU than an extra storage unless they need/want it. You also need to think about regional pricing, a 2TB HDD might cost $70 in NA but many other regions it is much more.

Spoiler

4790k @ 4.5Ghz 1.180v NZXT Kraken X31 | MSI Z97 Krait | Kingston Hyper X Fury 32GB 1866Mhz, 2 DIMMs white and 2 black | GTX 980 Ti - G1 Gaming | GTX 680 - Reference | SilverStone ST75F-P | Phanteks Enthoo Pro

You're not wrong, I too would go for an SSD at the same price. But when people want $1000 build with unrealistic expectations it is better to put that extra $30-40 into the GPU than an extra storage unless they need/want it. You also need to think about regional pricing, a 2TB HDD might cost $70 in NA but many other regions it is much more.

The first thing you do when building PCs for other people is set realistic expectations. Remember they came to you because they need and want your help.

Yes you would but unless specified im going to think US since that is where I'm based, sorry.

Oh god you actually believe that bullshit?

I've dealt with more dead Barracudas than I care to remember, so yeah. 

Wendell bought a bunch of the 3TB ones when they were just released was also reporting a 1 in 3 failure in the first year. 

I've dealt with more dead Barracudas than I care to remember, so yeah.

Wendell bought a bunch of the 3TB ones when they were just released was also reporting a 1 in 3 failure in the first year.

It wasn't when they were first released but once they were first the best price per gig. The larger drives he was running were fine. Also this is with the consumer drives only as far as I know. Even something like the SV35.6 should be immune being a entry level enterprise drive. Also this shouldn't be the case with any seagate drives anymore as they can't sustain a business with failure rates like that. Every company does have a bad model every now and then, sometimes even an entire line.