Satellite internet

EndlessOyster

Right live in the country side (UK) internet is dread full at just about 1mb down and 0.5mb up so been looking at options to improve internet and satellite internet popped up and apparently the ping is very bad which makes sense since the signal is going to space and back but how bad is bad?

The Dick of the audio page!

Over 1000

Spoiler

CPU: i7-5820k @ 4.4GHz Motherboard: Asus X99 Strix  Graphics Card: Gigabyte 980Ti G1 Gaming Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury 24GB (3x 8GB) Hard Drive: 1TB WD Green SSD: Samsung 950 Pro 250GB CPU Cooling: Corsair H100i Power Supply: EVGA G2 850W Case: Corsair 400c Mouse: Logitech G502 Keyboard: Asus Strix (mx reds)  Monitor: BenQ XL2730Z 1440p@144hz OS: Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit Laptops: Lenovo Y50-70: i7-4720HQ - 16GB RAM - 256GB SSD - GTX 960m 4GB - MacBook Pro (Early 2016) 2,0GHz i5 - 8GB Ram - 256GB SSD Phone: iPhone 7+

Over 1000

Well thats worse then what i got at the moment i guess that rules our satellite.

The Dick of the audio page!

Yeah satellite is crazy expensive as well they charge for GBs and if you use a lot...

Spoiler

CPU: i7-5820k @ 4.4GHz Motherboard: Asus X99 Strix  Graphics Card: Gigabyte 980Ti G1 Gaming Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury 24GB (3x 8GB) Hard Drive: 1TB WD Green SSD: Samsung 950 Pro 250GB CPU Cooling: Corsair H100i Power Supply: EVGA G2 850W Case: Corsair 400c Mouse: Logitech G502 Keyboard: Asus Strix (mx reds)  Monitor: BenQ XL2730Z 1440p@144hz OS: Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit Laptops: Lenovo Y50-70: i7-4720HQ - 16GB RAM - 256GB SSD - GTX 960m 4GB - MacBook Pro (Early 2016) 2,0GHz i5 - 8GB Ram - 256GB SSD Phone: iPhone 7+

Right live in the country side (UK) internet is dread full at just about 1mb down and 0.5mb up so been looking at options to improve internet and satellite internet popped up and apparently the ping is very bad which makes sense since the signal is going to space and back but how bad is bad?

See if there are any providers in your area that provide "Fixed Wireless"? It's not as fast as true wired broadband (Usually in the realm of 3-5 Mbps download, ideal conditions), but it's latency is much much better compared to satellite.

It operates via a large fixed Wireless Radio Tower, and you have a directional receiver antenna installed onto your house or property.

You usually need Line-of-sight for best signal strength, and stuff like trees can sometimes interfere, but it'll work as long as there aren't any buildings or fucking mountains in the way.

It used to be popular in Rural Ontario back in 2000-2004 era. Heck, it might still be, but I got the fuck out of Rural Ontario :P

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

I used to live in the country, and there were a few companies that provided good internet by, hooking up a satellite that would connect to their complex closer to the city with good internet, I had like 15 ping and 20 up and down, maybe try finding a place like that. It was a little more expensive but less then a big time satellite company, look for a small company like that.

Intel Core i7 7770K | 32 GB's Ram 3000MHz | GTX 1080 Ti | 250GB SSD | 3TB 7400 RPM | Sound Blaster Z | ASUS ROG MG278Q | Razer Blackwidow Chroma | Final Mouse 2015 | Blue Yeti | Seinheiser HD 600's | Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro | Aune T1 MK2

I used to live in the country, and there were a few companies that provided good internet by, hooking up a satellite that would connect to their complex closer to the city with good internet, I had like 15 ping and 20 up and down, maybe try finding a place like that. It was a little more expensive but less then a big time satellite company, look for a small company like that.

Was it actual satellite? So you were bouncing a signal off a satellite in space then back to this receiving station? No way. Not with 15-20 ping. You most likely had Fixed Wireless of some description.

Someone actually did the math on that, on the DSL Reports forum:

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r28087288-Ping-on-Satellite-Network

Not unless you can find the patent for warp speed. Until then the satellite signal can't travel any faster than the speed of light (~186,000 miles per sec). The satellite itself is 22,300 miles or more from your dish. The PING has to go up to the satellite, down to the satellite gateway, out on terrestrial to a server, back to the gateway from the server, back up to the satellite, then back down to you. That's likely 90,000 miles or more. Result, a minimum 480ms PING.

Consider that even if the latency from you to the satellite isn't that bad, the signal has to travel up and down from a satellite to the earth four times for every IP packet.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

I've used it once back in 2003, and it was super slow.  But, I have no idea how much it has changed.

Unfortunately, the laws of physics impose a certain cap on latency. Speeds can increase exponentially certainly, but the latency is what directly impacts the experience of web browsing.

I know.  I just meant personally I haven't used a satellite ISP in ages.  The kid 2 doors down had it when I was younger.

30 years ago, that would have been badass and the envy of everyone :P

Was it actual satellite? So you were bouncing a signal off a satellite in space then back to this receiving station? No way. Not with 15-20 ping. You most likely had Fixed Wireless of some description.

Someone actually did the math on that, on the DSL Reports forum:

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r28087288-Ping-on-Satellite-Network

Consider that even if the latency from you to the satellite isn't that bad, the signal has to travel up and down from a satellite to the earth four times for every IP packet.

No the satellite didn't go to space it went to the company's complex in the city a few miles away, connected to a good internet source.

Intel Core i7 7770K | 32 GB's Ram 3000MHz | GTX 1080 Ti | 250GB SSD | 3TB 7400 RPM | Sound Blaster Z | ASUS ROG MG278Q | Razer Blackwidow Chroma | Final Mouse 2015 | Blue Yeti | Seinheiser HD 600's | Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro | Aune T1 MK2

No the satellite didn't go to space it went to the company's complex in the city a few miles away, connected to a good internet source.

Okay. So that wasn't satellite then. A satellite is in space. By definition.

You definitely had some sort of Fixed Wireless radio connection then.

Okay. So that wasn't satellite then. A satellite is in space. By definition.

You definitely had some sort of Fixed Wireless radio connection then.

As in satellite I meant like a satellite dish on my house my bad.

As in satellite I meant like a satellite dish on my house my bad.

Oh. Yeah that's not a satellite dish. It's just a radio transceiver :P

I mean, I suppose the difference is rather trivial though, since a Satellite dish is a radio transceiver too, but, well, they point at satellites specifically :D

Satellite at this day and age, pretty bad choice. Unless you live in an area that has absolutely nothing within 300 miles range. I'm sure you can find an ISP that can establish a Wireless PTP link to you or PTMP (in their case). In all honesty Wireless is not that bad, with Mikrotik NV2 and Ubiquiti AirMax, you can pull some decent speeds with a clear line of sight of course.

I remember back in 2009 I was with an ISP that did 5Ghz Wireless and I was living in an urban area but the cost of wired internet was extremely expensive like $25 for 1Mbps over Cable. So I got their cheapest package 2 Mbps for something around $10 USD and I got one of those Ubiquiti NanoStation Loco M5 devices, by some luck I had a clear line of sight to the tower that was ~400 yards away. I was getting an excellent connection, ping within 6-7ms.

And @dalekphalm pretty much nailed it for every answer.