To sli, or to not sli?

CyberJesus88

So I'm going to be upgrading my current rig and I want the smoothest available option for my new graphics card. So I'm thing gtx 780, but I'm questioning weather I should get two of them. Budget is a non issue

If I'm correct, both sli and crossfire have major problems with stuttering and frame rating, and although they can produce more frames they do not always mean a smoother experiance.

So can someone fill me in to what would be the best option for my upgrade...

If money is a non-issue, just get 2 titans and be done with it  :P.

CPU: i5 4670k • Cooler: Corsair H100i • Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPOWER • RAM: Crucial Ballistix Elite 2x 8GB • Storage: Samsung 840 250GB SSD, 2x WD Red 3TB • GPU: EVGA GTX 780 3GB • PSU: Corsair RM750W • Case: Corsair 750D • Mouse: Razer Naga 2012 (I actually use the thing for productivity/media buttons) • Keyboard: Ducky Shine 3 w/ Browns - Green LED • Monitor: Asus PB278Q 27" 2560 x 1440, ASUS PB238Q 23" 1920x1080 • Lighting: 2m NZXT Sleeved Blue LED Strip • pcpartpicker.com/p/3cHfZ

I have sli, and while I do like it, it does have lots of flaws: you need a better cooling, there are some drivers issues, and some more I cant think of right now lol

PC Specs:  2x GTX 550 ti in SLI - Intel i7 2600k @ 3.4Ghz - Thermaltake Overseer Case - 8 GB Corsair Vengeance Ram - 1TB Harddrive - 500 Watt PSU that came with my old prebuilt pc lawl -  ASUS P8P67 EVO

Peripherals:  Razer Deathadder Black Edition - Razer Arctosa Keyboard - Logitech G53 Headset

Cool song of the day: Chief Keef - Round da Rosey    Changed my profile pic again...                                        Mountain Dew is good. So are video games and music. Oh and unicorns.

So I'm going to be upgrading my current rig and I want the smoothest available option for my new graphics card. So I'm thing gtx 780, but I'm questioning weather I should get two of them. Budget is a non issue

If I'm correct, both sli and crossfire have major problems with stuttering and frame rating, and although they can produce more frames they do not always mean a smoother experiance.

Most games have sli and crossfire support from what ive seen and stuttering has been a non issue. If you really want to, get two 780s but make sure that you have a good airflow case and a mobo that supports it. Oh and a unlocked intel proccecor with a good cooler is nice. :rolleyes:

Main Gaming PC - i9 10850k @ 5GHz - EVGA XC Ultra 2080ti with Heatkiller 4 - Asrock Z490 Taichi - Corsair H115i - 32GB GSkill Ripjaws V 3600 CL16 OC'd to 3733 - HX850i - Samsung NVME 256GB SSD - Samsung 3.2TB PCIe 8x Enterprise NVMe - Toshiba 3TB 7200RPM HD - Lian Li Air

Proxmox Server - i7 8700k @ 4.5Ghz - 32GB EVGA 3000 CL15 OC'd to 3200 - Asus Strix Z370-E Gaming - Oracle F80 800GB Enterprise SSD, LSI SAS running 3 4TB and 2 6TB (Both Raid Z0), Samsung 840Pro 120GB - Phanteks Enthoo Pro

Super Server - i9 7980Xe @ 4.5GHz - 64GB 3200MHz Cl16 - Asrock X299 Professional - Nvidia Telsa K20 -Sandisk 512GB Enterprise SATA SSD, 128GB Seagate SATA SSD, 1.5TB WD Green (Over 9 years of power on time) - Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2

Laptop - 2019 Macbook Pro 16" - i7 - 16GB - 512GB - 5500M 8GB - Thermal Pads and Graphite Tape modded

Smart Phones - iPhone X - 64GB, AT&T, iOS 13.3 iPhone 6 : 16gb, AT&T, iOS 12 iPhone 4 : 16gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 7.1.1 Jailbroken. iPhone 3G : 8gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 4.2.1 Jailbroken.

Don't SLI, one card is better than two.

Do get SLI. Two cards are better than one. 

Yes, you will face driver issues from time to time, but mostly (85%+) Games that would actually need/use SLI can use it. 

From the review of 4K gaming, I saw that, almost universally in AAA games, both Crossfire and SLI had gains in FPS ranging from 70-110% per GPU added. Which is awesome.

However, the real issue with Crossfire/SLI is framerating. AMD has recently fixed that, while Nvidia has always been better at handling it. The only thing about Nvidia cards, that I've seen in my research of it, is that they tend to get higher FPS/lower frametimes than AMD.... until they are put under heavy load. Then their FPS drops and their frametimes spike. Whereas AMD cards are pretty consistent now with the new drivers. 

Not trying to talk you out of Nvidia, just letting you know what I've seen. SLI is worth it imo. More FPS and more cards to handle the heavy loads. The heavy load frametime spikes wouldn't matter much to you as you would have the GPU power to push through them mostly without incident.

TL;DR: Get SLI.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Personally i believe that if you dont absolutely need sli you should not get it due to the aformentioned problems. Honestly i would only recommend it if you are planning to play recent games at 4k or in a surround set up. For a single 1080p or 1440p screen going from 100 fps to 160 will not outweigh the issues of sli.

Just get two 780s and the money you sve from not getting two titans put into a custom loop.....then put a 80 degrees celcius temp limit and watch those clock speeds skyrocket...

-Anubikai

| i5-4670k at stock until I do a custom WC loop | H80i | Asus Matrix Platinum 7970 at stock until I do a custom WC loop  | MSI Z87 GD65 | 1TB CAVIAR BLACK | 250gb Blue Scorpio | HX750 80 PLUS GOLD modular | 16GB INTEL EXTREME EDITION PATRIOT 1866MHZ | Coolermaster Storm Enforcer with two Red 20cm fans intake and exhaust |

As i said both crossfire and sli have no problems with stuttering and runts now that amd released thier new driver. Nvidia has had frame pacing built into the cards for years. Sli is a great choice and makes a system last so much longer. I mean i just upgraded to sli 460s lol

Main Gaming PC - i9 10850k @ 5GHz - EVGA XC Ultra 2080ti with Heatkiller 4 - Asrock Z490 Taichi - Corsair H115i - 32GB GSkill Ripjaws V 3600 CL16 OC'd to 3733 - HX850i - Samsung NVME 256GB SSD - Samsung 3.2TB PCIe 8x Enterprise NVMe - Toshiba 3TB 7200RPM HD - Lian Li Air

Proxmox Server - i7 8700k @ 4.5Ghz - 32GB EVGA 3000 CL15 OC'd to 3200 - Asus Strix Z370-E Gaming - Oracle F80 800GB Enterprise SSD, LSI SAS running 3 4TB and 2 6TB (Both Raid Z0), Samsung 840Pro 120GB - Phanteks Enthoo Pro

Super Server - i9 7980Xe @ 4.5GHz - 64GB 3200MHz Cl16 - Asrock X299 Professional - Nvidia Telsa K20 -Sandisk 512GB Enterprise SATA SSD, 128GB Seagate SATA SSD, 1.5TB WD Green (Over 9 years of power on time) - Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2

Laptop - 2019 Macbook Pro 16" - i7 - 16GB - 512GB - 5500M 8GB - Thermal Pads and Graphite Tape modded

Smart Phones - iPhone X - 64GB, AT&T, iOS 13.3 iPhone 6 : 16gb, AT&T, iOS 12 iPhone 4 : 16gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 7.1.1 Jailbroken. iPhone 3G : 8gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 4.2.1 Jailbroken.

Personally i believe that if you dont absolutely need sli you should not get it due to the aformentioned problems. Honestly i would only recommend it if you are planning to play recent games at 4k or in a surround set up. For a single 1080p or 1440p screen going from 100 fps to 160 will not outweigh the issues of sli.

About that frametime thing for Nvidia involving heavy loads, from the graphs I've seen at Anandtech, the frametime spikes are still there even with single GPU configurations. They are just less severe. Basically going from 60 FPS to 30 FPS under load (for example, when in Crysis 3 that the exploding arrow destroys the turret). Whereas an AMD single GPU configurations of the same power running at 60 FPS would go to 40-45 FPS under load at the same place.

The frametimes spikes are gonna happen either way. I'd prefer SLI to push through the low points. 

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

At 1440+ SLI is absolutely needed if you want to be able max out current games at 60+fps.  A single Titan or 780 won't handle Crysis 3 or Metro Last Light at 1440p unless the card is heavily overclocked or AA disabled.  Two 780s are totally worth it for high res gaming.  

OP, go with non ref 780s unless you're planning to water cool them right off the bat.  You'll get better overclocks and temps than from a reference card.  My personal favorite is the dcu II 780.

780 will be enough for now. The only real upgrade from it would be titan or 9970 Volcanic islands that is(?) cuple months away

I definitly wouldnt go sli right of the bat. Even if you have loads of money, id stick to buy card-sell card-buy card approach. Get single best card for every series and you will be able to roll along. 

Asus 780 is definitly awesome choice. Titan is more for high res gaming with its 6gb vram. Thats why it costs so much.

If money is a non-issue, just get 2 titans and be done with it  :P.

-1 Not titans.

Get 2 780s. títan is justa  fue % better then 780 and much cheaper is 780

[spoiler= Dream machine (There is also a buildlog)]

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe - CPU: I7 5820k @4.4 ghz 1.225vcore - GPU: 2x Asus GTX 970 Strix edition - Mainboard: Asus X99-S - RAM: HyperX predator 4x4 2133 mhz - HDD: Seagate barracuda 2 TB 7200 rpm - SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB SSD - PSU: Corsair HX1000i - Case fans: 3x Noctua PPC 140mm - Radiator fans: 3x Noctua PPC 120 mm - CPU cooler: Fractal design Kelvin S36 together with Noctua PPCs - Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB Cherry gaming keyboard - mouse: Steelseries sensei raw - Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud Build Log

-1 Not titans.

Get 2 780s. títan is justa  fue % better then 780 and much cheaper is 780

The opposite is true, the GTX 780 is actually faster then the Titan, Tom Logan from OC3D showed conclusive results that the GTX 780s are stomping on the Titans in almost every situation.(probably due to more driver optimizations)

If you are going for 1080p get 1 780.

If you are going for 1440p get 2 780's.

If you are going for 4k then get like 2 titans.

Cpu: Intel core i5 4570 gpu: gtx 770 case: cm storm enforcer psu: xfx pro 550w motherboard: asus b85m-g ssd: samsung 120gb hdd: wd caviar blue 1tb ram: kingston hyperx blu 8gb 1600mhz mouse: razer deathadder monitor: some decent samsung 19" keyboard: CM Storm TK Blue

780 will be enough for now. The only real upgrade from it would be titan or 9970 Volcanic islands that is(?) cuple months away

I definitly wouldnt go sli right of the bat. Even if you have loads of money, id stick to buy card-sell card-buy card approach. Get single best card for every series and you will be able to roll along. 

Asus 780 is definitly awesome choice. Titan is more for high res gaming with its 6gb vram. Thats why it costs so much.

The 9970's earliest release date claimed by insiders is the first week of September. The latest is the last week of October. 

Most tend to say mid-October.

† Christian Member †

Firstly, what resolution are you going to be playing at? If you are still playing on a 1080p screen then there is definitely no point. A single 780 will be loads for the time being. i would suggest that you buy a PSU that is SLI capable (750W-850W) so that upgrading to sli/cfx in the future isn't a hassle. 

I would still only get a single 780 for the time being. It will cater for all your needs for at least another year. From there you can make an educated decision on whether to sli at that point in time or sell your 780 and look at some alternatives. 

If you can wait till October, the 9970 "should" be out around then so it might be worth you while to hang on and see how the competition fairs out. 

Rig: i7 2600K @ 4.2GHz, Larkooler Watercooling System, MSI Z68a-gd80-G3, 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1600MHz CL9, Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce 3x 2GB OC, Samsung 840 250GB, 1TB WD Caviar Blue, Auzentech X-FI Forte 7.1, XFX PRO650W, Silverstone RV02 Monitors: Asus PB278Q, LG W2243S-PF (Gaming / overclocked to 74Hz) Peripherals: Logitech G9x Laser, QPad MK-50, AudioTechnica ATH AD700

Always get a single GPU when possible - That does not mean that you shouldn't get a SLI set-up. 

Always get 1 single powerful GPU over 2 less powerful GPU. When you have 1 powerful GPU you may get a second one if needed. Just don't get 4 less powerful SLI over 2 powerful GPU.

Get two gtx 780 DCUII and haveone of them for physx!!! Also Two gtx 780's in SLI perform better than two Titans in SLI.

[ Cruel Angel ]:     Exterior  -   BENQ XL2420T   |   SteelSeries MLG Sensei   |   Corsair K70 RED   |   Corsair 900D  |                                                                                                    CPU:    -   4.7Ghz @ 1.425v             |

Interior    -   i7 4770k   |    Maximus VI Formula    |   Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB    |   ASUS GTX 980 Strix SLIx2  |  840 Pro 512Gb    |    WD Black 2TB  |           RAM:   -   2400Mhz OC @ 1.650v    |

Cooling   -   XSPC 120mm x7 Total Radiator Space   |   XSPC RayStorm    |    PrimoChill Tubing/Res  |                                                                                             GPU:   -   1000Mhz @ 1.158            |

And ofcourse there is 780 lightning edition by MSI  :) cuple days left and we will see the monster.  my bet is that it will be neck to neck with asus card, or faster.