Whats killing my graphics card?

DirtyFish

So here's the story: a couple of weeks ago my pc blue screened and wouldn't reboot into windows other than in safe mode and even then there were artifacts all over the screen. It was still under warranty, got it repaired and it was working no worries.

Fast forward to today, playing some Darksiders, it blue screened again and appears to have died again.

My question is, does anybody have any idea what could be causing these blue screens and why my graphics card is chucking a hissy fit? Unless I just have a dodgy graphics card that's decided it doesn't like me.

For context its a GTX460 that's nearly 3 years old running in a system with an i5-760 and a gigabyte GA-P55A-UD3P (I think).

Any help or suggestions on what I should do would be greatly  since I don't want to have to deal with this every couple of weeks.

Thanks

DirtyJewFish

Every loud bang is a lesson learned.

Drivers is my guess :p

Console optimisations and how they will effect you | The difference between AMD cores and Intel cores | Memory Bus size and how it effects your VRAM usage |
How much vram do you actually need? | APUs and the future of processing | Projects: SO - here

Intel i7 5820l @ with Corsair H110 | 32GB DDR4 RAM @ 1600Mhz | XFX Radeon R9 290 @ 1.2Ghz | Corsair 600Q | Corsair TX650 | Probably too much corsair but meh should have had a Corsair SSD and RAM | 1.3TB HDD Space | Sennheiser HD598 | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro | Blue Snowball

Are you running it stock or have you OCed it at all? If OCed set to default clock speeds and stress test + play some games for a while.

It could be that it's time has come to an end, although that's highly unlikely.

Is it running to hot?

I often run MSI Afterburner when I'm playing games to check temps and even when maxed out it doesnt really get above 70. Which as far as I'm aware is not so bad

Did you overclock it at all?

It is overclocked, but hardly anthing, can't remember exact numbers but when I first did it I looked at other stable OC and undershot them by a little because it was my first time doing it. In any case it's been running at those speeds for months with no issues what so ever.

Drivers is my guess :P

Well that's what I first thought since the first time it died I had the 320.18 installed, but since I got it back I have had the 320.49 drivers installed which aren't supposed to have the same problems.

So here's the story: a couple of weeks ago my pc blue screened and wouldn't reboot into windows other than in safe mode and even then there were artifacts all over the screen. It was still under warranty, got it repaired and it was working no worries.

Fast forward to today, playing some Darksiders, it blue screened again and appears to have died again.

My question is, does anybody have any idea what could be causing these blue screens and why my graphics card is chucking a hissy fit? Unless I just have a dodgy graphics card that's decided it doesn't like me.

For context its a GTX460 that's nearly 3 years old running in a system with an i5-760 and a gigabyte GA-P55A-UD3P (I think).

Any help or suggestions on what I should do would be greatly  since I don't want to have to deal with this every couple of weeks.

Thanks

DirtyJewFish

might not be your gpu, ram cpu and mobo can cause bsods atfter time as well, maybe do a clean install of windows and factory reset the bios

It is overclocked, but hardly anthing, can't remember exact numbers but when I first did it I looked at other stable OC and undershot them by a little because it was my first time doing it. In any case it's been running at those speeds for months with no issues what so ever.

If it was a heavy overclock I would have said degradation

Well that's what I first thought since the first time it died I had the 320.18 installed, but since I got it back I have had the 320.49 drivers installed which aren't supposed to have the same problems.

If they didn't fix much between the beta and whql they had some similar reports of artifacting while in beta.

I often run MSI Afterburner when I'm playing games to check temps and even when maxed out it doesnt really get above 70. Which as far as I'm aware is not so bad

If running in safe mode helps; imo it's 99.99% of the time a driver issue.

Console optimisations and how they will effect you | The difference between AMD cores and Intel cores | Memory Bus size and how it effects your VRAM usage |
How much vram do you actually need? | APUs and the future of processing | Projects: SO - here

Intel i7 5820l @ with Corsair H110 | 32GB DDR4 RAM @ 1600Mhz | XFX Radeon R9 290 @ 1.2Ghz | Corsair 600Q | Corsair TX650 | Probably too much corsair but meh should have had a Corsair SSD and RAM | 1.3TB HDD Space | Sennheiser HD598 | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro | Blue Snowball

Most of the bsod are because of a bad driver. Google the error code you have in the dump file

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing

might not be your gpu, ram cpu and mobo can cause bsods atfter time as well, maybe do a clean install of windows and factory reset the bios

Formatting is such a hassle, I might do one after it gets fixed though. Unless I end up just doing a drive sweep or something like that.

If running in safe mode helps; imo it's 99.99% of the time a driver issue.

Yeah that's what I was thinking, but if it was purely drivers shouldn't it work perfectly in safe mode. There are still artifacts on the screen and even before I get into Windows the artifacts appear, they're there in the motherboard screen.

Maybe I'll try and get a new gpu out of the warranty rather than get mine fixed then do a clean install and start again.

There's a plethora of problems for fermi cards with 320.xx + drivers for some reason. Download 314.22 and stick with that, I've seen my pc BSOD with the newer drivers and crash to desktop alot, even with WHQL drivers. I feel it's got something to do with factory overclocks/ overclocking in general.

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700K RAM: 16GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3200Mhz GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080ti MoBo: MSI Z170 Krait Gaming 3X Cooler: NZXT Kraken X52 Case: Corsair Obsidian 450D HDD/SSD: (Boot) Intel 750 Series 400GB, (Games) Samsung 850 EVO 500GB, (Data) Samsung 850 EVO 500GB PSU: Silverstone Strider Plus 750W Keyboard: CM Masterkeys Pro L w/ Cherry MX Blues Mouse: Logitech G900 Monitor: Acer X34 Predator @ 100hz

Phone(s): Samsung Galaxy S8+

There's a plethora of problems for fermi cards with 320.xx + drivers for some reason. Download 314.22 and stick with that, I've seen my pc BSOD with the newer drivers and crash to desktop alot, even with WHQL drivers. I feel it's got something to do with factory overclocks/ overclocking in general.

I think its a bit late for that, pretty sure the card is borked considering even when the drivers aren't loaded in safe mode there are still artifacts on the screen as well as on the motherboard screen at startup. I might try and get a new card under warranty rather than get it fixed like they did last, though apparently they didn't fix it too well.