What does the future hold?

Adler Polk

I was watching back to the future and the scene where "Doc" set the time to go into the future was 2015 i was astonished how much people in 1989 thought technology would evolve and i guess that is what put a thought in my head.  I was thinking when does technology reach the Law of Diminishing Returns?  I mean today we have some pretty damn fast technology and its astonishing how much it has evolved in such a short time, but will it ever get so fast that we wont really notice the difference?

I encourage your feedback on this topic and feel free to ask me any questions you may have!

-Adler

Think about how far we would get in 100,000 years.

Probably.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

I was watching back to the future and the scene where "Doc" set the time to go into the future was 2015 i was astonished how much people in 1989 thought technology would evolve and i guess that is what put a thought in my head.  I was thinking when does technology reach the Law of Diminishing Returns?  I mean today we have some pretty damn fast technology and its astonishing how much it has evolved in such a short time, but will it ever get so fast that we wont really notice the difference?

I encourage your feedback on this topic and feel free to ask me any questions you may have!

-Adler

We still have two years to build mr fusion. Flying cars, self drying clothes and hover boards were never really going to be in our lifetime. Everything else is reality now isn't it?

Moores law   might finally be broken if a new type of transistor or chip technology isn't discovered soon.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

We still have two years to build mr fusion. Flying cars, self drying clothes and hover boards were never really going to be in our lifetime. Everything else is reality now isn't it?

Moores law   might finally be broken if a new type of transistor or chip technology isn't discovered soon.

I want a hover board so bad!

I think if anything is going to get smaller we might need to find a new one soon

Flying cars already exist, just not in the way the movies portrayed them. We have clothes that can't get wet, not really the same thing as self-drying, but meh.

I do feel like we will hit an eventual limit on how small we can make transistors - we'll soon be down to 14nm, and we all remember the issues with the shrink to 22nm with ivy bridge, so over time I feel like it's going to get harder and harder to get smaller. Plus, when you get smaller, quantum properties will probably break the circuit anyway, with them just randomly tunnelling past the transistors. As for quantum computing, I feel like it could have the potential to spark another revolution, but people will still want legacy support even if a stable, powerful quantum chip is brought to market. What's going to be the next thing that redefines life as we know it? I dunno, but if 3D printers become more advanced, smaller and cheaper - to the point when there isn't really a reason not to get one, it could change the way we buy things (imagine a 3D printed computer case, which you can customise completely before it's even made).

Check out my video work at youtube.com/SuperUserTech

Acer Aspire 5750G - i5-2410m | 8GB 1333Mhz RAM | 500GB 5400RPM HDD | Nvidia GT540m

2xBenQ EW2440L | Sennheiser HD600 | Corsair Vengeance K65 | Corsair Vengeance M65 | Panasonic Lumix G7 | Panasonic 20mm F1.7

I look at  the past 13 years

13 years ago the fastest gpu was a Ati Rage 128 16-mb of vram and the fastest cpu a 500mhz pentium 3

8 years ago we got the 5800 gts and the 1st multicore processors

6 years ago we got the 8800 gts and Quad core processors

4 years ago we got the 1st multi core gpu's and 6-core processors

Today we have Quad Sli titans and Core i7 6-core's with unlocked multiplyers and we look at them like they are no big deal when less than a decade ago the fastest gpu and cpu (5800 and pentium d) sounded like wind tunnels

#KilledMyWife 

LTT's Resident Black Star

I should get an award for still being here at this point