Painting Coolermaster Cooler..

TravisTea

..good idea or bad? Taping off the base and painting the fins. The cooler was given to me and its stands out like a sore thumb in my case so I want to either paint it dark blue or black. Before doing so I need to make sure this isn't a terrible idea. It's a Evo 212+ I believe..

linus has a vid somewhere

nvm its ncix lol

Thanks! Didn't know this existed lol

You could but it's not recommended since it heavily effects cooling performance.

I'm not overclocking my cpu so as long as it stays with reasonable temps I'm ok. I have an i5 4460 so I can't overclock. I just want the cooler to not look like it stands out lol

I'm not overclocking my cpu so as long as it stays with reasonable temps I'm ok. I have an i5 4460 so I can't overclock. I just want the cooler to not look like it stands out lol

I guess, it's mainly your call but temps can increase from 5-10C to give you a very rough estimate.

I guess, it's mainly your call but temps can increase from 5-10C to give you a very rough estimate.

Yeah but can it be any worse than the stock cooler?

..good idea or bad? Taping off the base and painting the fins. The cooler was given to me and its stands out like a sore thumb in my case so I want to either paint it dark blue or black. Before doing so I need to make sure this isn't a terrible idea. It's a Evo 212+ I believe..

i would leave the base untouched. Why risk the contact when you can't even see it when it's installed

System

• CPU
    I7-4790K @ 4,7GHz
  • Motherboard
    Asus MAXIMUS Formula VI
  • RAM
    Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB Kit (2x8GB) 1866MHz
  • GPU
    MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X
  • Case
    Cooler Master Cosmos SE
  • Storage
    Samsung 840 EVO 500GB+WD Green 3TB
  • PSU
    EVGA SuperNOVA 850G2 80PLUS Gold Certified
  • Display(s)
    ASUS PB277Q 27" WQHD 2560x1440 75Hz 1ms
  • Cooling
    Corsair H105 with AP121s and Phanteks fans
  • Keyboard
    Logitech G610 Orion
  • Mouse
    E-3lue E-Blue Mazer II 2500 DPI Blue LED 2.4GHz Wireless Optical Gaming Mouse
  • Sound
    Audio-Technica ATH-M20x
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

ebola is better than a stock cooler...its not the highest of standards...

System

• CPU
    I7-4790K @ 4,7GHz
  • Motherboard
    Asus MAXIMUS Formula VI
  • RAM
  • GPU
    MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X
  • Case
    Cooler Master Cosmos SE
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
  • Keyboard
    Logitech G610 Orion
  • Mouse
  • Sound
    Audio-Technica ATH-M20x
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

What Tomas710 said it would still be better than the stock cooler.

i would leave the base untouched. Why risk the contact when you can't even see it when it's installed

Yeah I'd just be painting the fins, not the base. And if it's better than using the stock cooler that I'm using now, I guess I don't see it really being a problem if it's for the sake of making it cosmetically better. I guess I could just buy a black cooler if it'll be that big of an issue.

Yeah I'd just be painting the fins, not the base. And if it's better than using the stock cooler that I'm using now, I guess I don't see it really being a problem if it's for the sake of making it cosmetically better. I guess I could just buy a black cooler if it'll be that big of an issue.

Well, if you wanna try it, try it. If your first thought was 'i can paint that' i think you wanna do it, some people are more of a modder than others. I'd say, it's a cheap cooler, try, get it out of your system, it will prolly work, like, very likely it will (Dont apply 40 layers of paint, keep it thin) and if for whatev reason it doesn't works, get an Enermax ETS T-40

https://pcpartpicker.com/part/enermax-cpu-cooler-etst40bk

Cheers!

System

• CPU
    I7-4790K @ 4,7GHz
  • Motherboard
    Asus MAXIMUS Formula VI
  • RAM
  • GPU
    MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X
  • Case
    Cooler Master Cosmos SE
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
  • Keyboard
    Logitech G610 Orion
  • Mouse
  • Sound
    Audio-Technica ATH-M20x
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

Just put a sheet of paper between the top fin and the fin right under the top fin and paint it any colour you like, you will get something like this 

CEhyYhJ.png

(sorry for the shitty pic)

Paint/plastidip can act as an insulator.. Do so at your own risk.

Edit... Also darker colours are better at heat dissipation.. They absorb more heat for the fans to blow away. Not really pc related but Mighty Car Mods has tested this on intercoolers. Black being colder than chrome.

Well, if you wanna try it, try it. If your first thought was 'i can paint that' i think you wanna do it, some people are more of a modder than others. I'd say, it's a cheap cooler, try, get it out of your system, it will prolly work, like, very likely it will (Dont apply 40 layers of paint, keep it thin) and if for whatev reason it doesn't works, get an Enermax ETS T-40

Paint/plastidip can act as an insulator.. Do so at your own risk.

Edit... Also darker colours are better at heat dissipation.. They absorb more heat for the fans to blow away. Not really pc related but Mighty Car Mods has tested this on intercoolers. Black being colder than chrome.

Just put a sheet of paper between the top fin and the fin right under the top fin and paint it any colour you like, you will get something like this

A friend of mine suggested just painting the top with a thin layer of paint and just the outside edges of the fins with a small brush so it'll give it the look without the issue of insulating heat.. Might not be a bad idea. Thoughts??

A friend of mine suggested just painting the top with a thin layer of paint and just the outside edges of the fins with a small brush so it'll give it the look without the issue of insulating heat.. Might not be a bad idea. Thoughts??

That would work well if you don't mind seeing a bit of silver between the fins, I'd suggest the spray paint the top and use a paint marker on the edges it will go faster and easier than using a small brush.

That would work well if you don't mind seeing a bit of silver between the fins, I'd suggest the spray paint the top and use a paint marker on the edges it will go faster and easier than using a small brush.

Dem 3$ jiffy paints ;) best ever

Yay Canada cheapest paint is like $5 and tax ):

Yea I know lol I live in BC.. You can order artist quality paint from Toronto for 5$ a can.. (Less if buying bulk) I got 55 cans for like 250$

WWW.bombingscience.com sells like the best paint ever.. Yet people are unaware cause its a graffiti site.. Artists know what they want in a good paint.. Thick 1 coat coverage, all weather operation (even -40c/rain), a wide range of super opaque colors..

Here's a test vid of molotow ALL WEATHER (yes it works in -40 I have tried it my self...)