Umbra Aqua - Mac Pro Mod -Leak test, first boot 2.20.14

Marquee

I am not a chemist either but I read some where ( might be totally wrong ) if you add alkaline to a solution, the conductivity ability decreases. 

I did some research and found that.

'The commonly used units for measuring electrical conductivity of water are:

μS/cm (microSiemens/cm)' 

Drinking water is any where between 50-1500 mS/cm

(http://water.epa.gov/type/rsl/monitoring/vms59.cfm)

"Distilled water has a conductivity in the range of 0.5 to 3 mS/cm"

(http://water.epa.gov/type/rsl/monitoring/vms59.cfm)

EK-Ekoolant UV Lime Green 1.4 mS/cm

So the EK-Ekoolant does conduct electricity but not as much as other waters. Also as the temperature of the water rises, so does the conductivity. About 2-3% for every degree up to 25C.

So aplhenwasser you are totally right.

Good to have some concrete data, nice find. :)

It would seem then that EK's so-called non-conductive coolant is pretty much

a marketing thing (same probably goes for all the other "non-conductive"

water-based coolants). But yeah, those numbers actually make sense. Tap water's

conductivity will largely depend on where you live and how much salty content

you have in it, hence why it's so variable. I'm not 100% sure where the variability

in distilled comes from, but presumably the temperature has an influence on the

amount of self-ionization going on, which in turn would influence conductivity

(just a guess though). Since EK's coolant is presumably distilled water with a

few additives (corrosion protection, maybe some lubricant for the pump, biocide),

its conductivity being about that of distilled water makes sense.

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

I finished the hard drive mount and mounted my new 3 tb hard drive and SSD together. I also installed my very old Maxtor hard drive in, to take some data off of it. I also managed to finish the hard drive covers but I have not mounted them just yet. 

1672899.jpg7624572.jpg

3168956.jpg8263689.jpg

729192.jpg

Here is a really old SATA Maxtor hard drive that still works. 

4507830.jpg

345873.jpg

9405427.jpg4330813.jpg

8408240.jpg4303252.jpg

I had to perform open heart surgery on the case also.  Since the front RAD was moved 15 mm at the end of the project to make room for the front I/O, the side door would not stay on. I had to bend the acrylic shroud with out removing it from the case. Hence open heart surgery. I first covered anything I thought could melt from the heat gun with tin foil. Then I placed cutting boards on these pieces also. After that was done I heated the plastic and bent it so the side panel would stay on. Then placed the side panel on and let it cool to that shape. It was a bit of a crazy idea but saved me all lot of time taking apart the whole system just to get 5 mm more space for the side panel. 

7262667.jpg

1081029.jpg

7572393.jpg

214236.jpg

6798325.jpg

Next up was the covers for the hard drive sleds. I cut 3 piece of acrylic and shaped them using files and sand paper. I then sanded the back of the acrylic and painted it. I wanted to recreate the brushed aluminum look from the front panel again. 

1471995.jpg

7169285.jpg

First coat

8850924.jpg

Second Coat

2614744.jpg

Third Coat

8935066.jpg

8824029.jpg

3536852.jpg

Umbra Aqua - Mac Pro Mod

Phthonos - The Xbox Killer?

Cool :)

Rig CPU Intel i5 3570K at 4.2 GHz - MB MSI Z77A-GD55 - RAM Kingston 8GB 1600 mhz - GPU XFX 7870 Double D - Keyboard Logitech G710+

Case Corsair 600T - Storage Intel 330 120GB, WD Blue 1TB - CPU Cooler Noctua NH-D14 - Displays Dell U2312HM, Asus VS228, Acer AL1715

Cool :)

looks good,nice build.

Thanks guys. I have been busy with work, but I have the whole of next week of for vacation. Modding Vacation.  B)

Umbra Aqua - Mac Pro Mod

Phthonos - The Xbox Killer?

Im not much for mac's, but I must say, you really did a sweet job on modding and making the older Mac pro case look sexy :D Great job bro, cant wait to see the finished product.

My Sig Rig: "X79 (3970X) -Midas"http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wsjGt6"  "Midas" Build Log - https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/59768-build-log-in-progress-code-name-midas/

"The Riddler" Custom Watercooled H440 Build Log ( in collaboration with my wife @ _TechPuppet_ ) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/149652-green-h440-special-edition-the-riddler-almost-there/

*Riptide Customs* " We sleeve PSU cables "

• 1 month later...

Really nice build/mod.  Mac Pro's have some great mods. Great work!!!

Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr. Creedy, and ideas are bulletproof.

As I get older I get angrier more cynical, meaner. I feel some warning posts coming. I feel a ban coming. I was warned.

CPU-i5 2400 GPU-Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 OC Mobo-H67MA-D2H-B3 Ram-G.Skill Ripjaws 8gb 1333mhz Case-Fractal Define R4 PSU-Corsair CX750 Storage-Samsung EVO 250gb, 1tb WD Black,Hitachi 1tb Other stuff-Corsair K90, M90 Cooling-3x 140mm Fractal fans Sound-Sennheiser HD438 headphones