Booting and Program Crashing.

Stav Kats
Go to solution Solved by YoYo155,

It's either memory being aggressively used by a software or the Disk is having trouble.

Testing the HDD - Hard Drive Diagnostic Procedure

So I was on holidays for 1 month but my PC was used daily by my sister and my father. Now, that I am back, I have noticed some things that upset me.

• First of all, my boot times are very slow, the screen stops where it says Starting Windows for 15-20 secs. I used to have 15 secs boot times, from hitting my power switch to loading chrome. I am running my OS from a SSD, the Corsair Force 3 120GB. Also my "shutting down times "have been even more slowed down. It used to shut down immediatelly, but now it takes forever.
  • The second problem is that many programs have started to crash for no reason. Programs like Steam, Word, foobar2000 and some games.

I have defragged my HDD(not my SSD), I have checked for recent downloads, I scanned my system with Microsoft Security Essential and what opens in startup and it is all like they used to.

I didn't have any of these problems before my absence. Do you think it is temporary and it will be fixed by itself, or not?

Thanks in advance.

CPU: AMD FX-6100 Black Edition @3.9GHz GPU: XFX 7970 DD (1062/1520 MHz) MOBO: ASUS Sabertooth 990FXA(1st Revision) RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB @ 1333MHz Storage: Corsair Force 3 120GB(Boot) + WD Green 1TB(storage) PSU: FSP AURUM 600W(80+ Gold) CPU Cooler: Cryorig M9a  Case: NZXT Tempst 410 Elite(Mid-Tower) Mouse: Logitech G602(Manufacturer Refurbished) Keyboard: Noppoo Choc Mini(Cherry MX Blue) AUDIO:Sennheiser HD 598+ASUS Xonar DGX Monitor: LG M2280DF 21.5" 1080p(TN-75Hz)

Try using CCleaner to clean things up a little.

Still slow. Also when I open big files(for example my music folder) it takes huge amount of time to load. I mean I can see what is in the folder but I cannot access it. The Windows bar on top of the folder's window loads very slowly(I have windows 7).

CPU: AMD FX-6100 Black Edition @3.9GHz GPU: XFX 7970 DD (1062/1520 MHz) MOBO: ASUS Sabertooth 990FXA(1st Revision) RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB @ 1333MHz Storage: Corsair Force 3 120GB(Boot) + WD Green 1TB(storage) PSU: FSP AURUM 600W(80+ Gold) CPU Cooler: Cryorig M9a  Case: NZXT Tempst 410 Elite(Mid-Tower) Mouse: Logitech G602(Manufacturer Refurbished) Keyboard: Noppoo Choc Mini(Cherry MX Blue) AUDIO:Sennheiser HD 598+ASUS Xonar DGX Monitor: LG M2280DF 21.5" 1080p(TN-75Hz)

Still slow. Also when I open big files(for example my music folder) it takes huge amount of time to load. I mean I can see what is in the folder but I cannot access it. The Windows bar on top of the folder's window loads very slowly(I have windows 7).

Try scanning using MalwareBytes.

Thanks for stealing my reply...

One program that it says it may be malicious is windows7.codec.pack.v4.0.0setup.

If I delete this will it cause any damage to my OS or not at all?

I have a feeling they might of ended up downloading a virus. Scan and find the virus or reinstall windows. I don't let anyone touch my PC.

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

I have a feeling they might of ended up downloading a virus. Scan and find the virus or reinstall windows. I don't let anyone touch my PC.

I also try not to let anybody else touch my baby but my PC is the only that works adequently. The other 3 PCs in my house use 1GB DDR2 and a Dual Core with an old old IDE HDD. Pretty crappy stuff. They boot in like 1-2mins and then they are all jerky and slow.

Thanks for the suggestion!

It's either memory being aggressively used by a software or the Disk is having trouble.

Testing the HDD - Hard Drive Diagnostic Procedure

Thanks for stealing my reply...

So you all know, the problem is that my HDD is dying. I diagnosed it by testing its speed(5MB/s read and 50MB/s write) and when I disconnected it from the Mobo all the crashing and slow booting were fixed.

Thanks everyone for their time and help.

So you all know, the problem is that my HDD is dying. I diagnosed it by testing its speed(5MB/s read and 50MB/s write) and when I disconnected it from the Mobo all the crashing and slow booting were fixed.

Thanks everyone for their time and help.

Told ya! :P, please mark it as solved for future reference.

You're welcome :) .