Prevent Windows 10 from Auto-Updating Drivers (Temporary Fix)

PewPew122

I've been using Windows 10 since January and I noticed that Windows Update is having fun updating device drivers on it's own, due to the fact that Windows will do automatic updates. This feature is annoying if you like to keep certain old driver due to glitches or issues on newer ones. (Example: Nvidia driver 353.54 which was horrible) This may also conflict with other programs that do give you driver updates like GE Force Experience.

Found a way to fix this, however I find this to be a temporary solution since it may give you a bit of headaches if you change hardware on your PC later on.

Step 1: Do a Search on your start menu (or Cortana) for "Devices and Printers" and go there.

cWnL7Lz.png

Step 2: Locate your PC on the device list and Right Click it. Select the "Device Installation Settings" option.

2etZG73.png

Step 3: Select "No, let me choose what to do" and then pick the "Never install driver software using Windows Update" option and click on Save.

BYY9yFe.png

Done.

This will disable Windows update from installing any new drivers that may come out and mess your computer. I consider this only a temporary fix, because if you decide to add new hardware to your PC later (sound cards, raid cards, etc...) Windows will not be able to find a generic driver since you disabled it. In this case you might want to re-enable this feature while you install the new device or just manually install drivers from the device manufacturers web page. So far I've managed to avoid Windows Update from installing new NVidia drivers and let GeForce Experience handle graphic drivers like always.

Hope this helps if you had any driver issues with Windows Updates.

I've been using Windows 10 since January and I noticed that Windows Update is having fun updating device drivers on it's own, due to the fact that Windows will do automatic updates. This feature is annoying if you like to keep certain old driver due to glitches or issues on newer ones. (Example: Nvidia driver 353.54 which was horrible) This may also conflict with other programs that do give you driver updates like GE Force Experience.

Found a way to fix this, however I find this to be a temporary solution since it may give you a bit of headaches if you change hardware on your PC later on.

Step 1: Do a Search on your start menu (or Cortana) for "Devices and Printers" and go there.

cWnL7Lz.png

Step 2: Locate your PC on the device list and Right Click it. Select the "Device Installation Settings" option.

2etZG73.png

Step 3: Select "No, let me choose what to do" and then pick the "Never install driver software using Windows Update" option and click on Save.

BYY9yFe.png

Done.

This will disable Windows update from installing any new drivers that may come out and mess your computer. I consider this only a temporary fix, because if you decide to add new hardware to your PC later (sound cards, raid cards, etc...) Windows will not be able to find a generic driver since you disabled it. In this case you might want to re-enable this feature while you install the new device or just manually install drivers from the device manufacturers web page. So far I've managed to avoid Windows Update from installing new NVidia drivers and let GeForce Experience handle graphic drivers like always.

Hope this helps if you had any driver issues with Windows Updates.

Thank you. I just got rid of 353.30 because it occasionally decides that my GPU doesn't exist and just goes pthbtbtbtbtbtbthhhhhhhh at me.

A mod should sticky this. I'll be doing this as soon as that upgrade arrives

Speedtests

WiFi - 7ms, 22Mb down, 10Mb up

Ethernet - 6ms, 47.5Mb down, 9.7Mb up

Rigs

Spoiler

Type            Desktop

OS              Windows 10 Pro

CPU             i5-4430S

RAM             8GB CORSAIR XMS3 (2x4gb)

Cooler          LC Power LC-CC-97 65W

Motherboard     ASUS H81M-PLUS

GPU             GeForce GTX 1060

Storage         120GB Sandisk SSD (boot), 750GB Seagate 2.5" (storage), 500GB Seagate 2.5" SSHD (cache)

Spoiler

Type            Server

OS              Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

CPU             Core 2 Duo E6320

RAM             2GB Non-ECC

Motherboard     ASUS P5VD2-MX SE

Storage         RAID 1: 250GB WD Blue and Seagate Barracuda

Uses            Webserver, NAS, Mediaserver, Database Server

Quotes of Fame

On 8/27/2015 at 10:09 AM, Drixen said:

Linus is light years ahead a lot of other YouTubers, he isn't just an average YouTuber.. he's legitimately, legit.

On 10/11/2015 at 11:36 AM, Geralt said:

When something is worth doing, it's worth overdoing.

On 6/22/2016 at 10:05 AM, trag1c said:

It's completely blown out of proportion. Also if you're the least bit worried about data gathering then you should go live in a cave a 1000Km from the nearest establishment simply because every device and every entity gathers information these days. In the current era privacy is just fallacy and nothing more.

Much appreciated!

KILLING IS HIS BUSINESS...

AND BUSINESS

IS GOOD!