Synaptic drivers for Ubuntu 14.10 and 15.04

I just installed Ubuntu to teach myself how to use Linux.  I installed version 14.04 and most thing worked fine, then I updated to 14.10 and again to 15.04.  Since those updates my touchpad has stopped working.  The trackball in the keyboard still works and the left and right touchpad buttons still work but scrolling on the touchpad yields no response.  I looked online and ran the xinput list command and the trackpad is showing up.

Im running the OS on an HP elitebook 2170p.  Has anyone else had this issue, and if so what steps can I try to resolve the problem?

Thanks

post-146881-0-95493300-1438038881_thumb.

post-146881-0-95493300-1438038881_thumb.

Hmm. I had a laptop that was an HP Probook {numbers} and it had a synaptic touch pad. It's been a while since I've used it and Linux. Try running the command

xinput set-prop 12 "Device Enabled" 1

That's what I had in my autorun file (except 0, not 1, to disable it).

That's about all I know off the top of my head while at work. If that doesn't work, and nobody has solved it within the next few hours, ping me @LucidMew or quote me to remind me to figure it out more.

also, try some of the answers listed in https://askubuntu.com/questions/65951/how-to-disable-the-touchpad ? It is a couple releases out of date, but ya never know.

Ensure a job for life: https://github.com/Droogans/unmaintainable-code

Actual comment I found in legacy code: // WARNING! SQL injection here!

sudo -sxinput set-prop 12 "Device Enabled" 1

try that.

If that doesn't work, use the trackpoint to find what drivers you are using.