SSD and HDD solution

Pin8

I am going for my first build and im looking for a storage solution, im sure the samsung 850 evo is great or the best but what about the capcity 120 vs 250 gb ?? should i go for 120 and a 1tb hdd? or the 250 evo will be worthly and wait for adding a 1tb later??

Me personally would go with 120GB SSD + 1TB HDD.

The SSD for things you want to speed up (like OS and/or games) while the HDD for the rest.

Where I hang out: The Garage - Car Enthusiast Club

My cars: 2006 Mazda RX-8 (MT) | 2014 Mazda 6 (AT) | 2009 Honda Jazz (AT)

PC Specs

Indonesia

CPU: i5-4690 | Motherboard: MSI B85-G43 | Memory: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB | Power Supply: Corsair CX500 | Video Card: MSI GTX 970

Storage: Kingston V300 120GB & WD Blue 1TB | Network Card: ASUS PCE-AC56 | Peripherals: Microsoft Wired 600 & Logitech G29 + Shifter

Australia 

CPU: Ryzen 3 2200G | Motherboard: MSI - B450 Tomahawk | Memory: Mushkin - 8GB (1 x 8GB) | Storage: Mushkin 250GB & Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB
Video Card: GIGABYTE - RX 580 8GB | Case: Corsair - 100R ATX Mid Tower | Power Supply: Avolv 550W 80+ Gold

get a 120GB or 128GB ssd for the OS and get a 1TB drive for your games, your documents and your programs.

post-10217-0-31830600-1437877767.png

Do with this information what you will. That's my personal setup. I can quite easily get away with a 64GB SSD for boot, but I like having the extra space available.

i am surviving with a single 256Gb ssd for now, and have an idle HDD. look in your current computers to see how much space your taking up, and see how much games you think you will have and add those to see what you can get away with. i would recommend a 256Gb ssd, regardless of most situations.

i am surviving with a single 256Gb ssd for now, and have an idle HDD. look in your current computers to see how much space your taking up, and see how much games you think you will have and add those to see what you can get away with. i would recommend a 256Gb ssd, regardless of most situations.

I'd like to note that I would also recommend a 240-256GB SSD over a smaller one. But if the budget doesn't allow, a smaller SSD is better than no SSD.

If I were you, I'd get a 256 GB SSD (Especially if you play GTA V, seeing as that game takes 60 GB)

• 2 weeks later...

I would gauge it on your budget and your needs. It's the most efficient to install your OS on your SSD, so having at least 120GB is ideal. If you're doing work or playing games that requires storage space beyond 20GB's or so, I would go for the 250GB SSD to have breathing room for high speed storage. If you only need less than 20GB's of storage for commonly used applications, then I would say a 120GB SSD and a 1TB HDD solution would be great. This is all based on personal preference though. I have no idea of what your budget, preferred brands, situation, or anything else is.