mATX Case and GPU Height Clearance (Air 240)

Hi all,

The TL;DR is: Has anyone tried cramming an ASUS DirectCUII Card (the triple slot 7970 to be exact) into the Corsair Air 240?

I sold my gaming PC a while ago because I hadn't turned it on in 6 months, but I'm a little bored with MacBooks and iPhones (and my PS4) and I wanna play a few modded games (GTA V, Assetto Corsa etc). I bought an old system with an i7 920, 6GB RAM and an EVGA X58 SLI Micro for $200 (NZD), but the case is ugly, dirty and smells like an actual dog (so bad it's not going in the house). So I'm looking at the Air 240 and every looks like a good plan, apart from the GPU height clearance. I've got an old 7970 DCII lying around which I'd like to use, but it looks like it's going to be a very close fit with the window. The two 8-pin connectors will probably need right angle connectors (where can I get these in NZ for cheap or is there an international eBay link?) but the card itself is still concerning.

Also if anyone in NZ has some spare parts they want to donate or sell cheap PM me please, I'm documenting everything so I'll probably start posting a build log on here as well. I'm still looking for a PSU and an AIO liquid cooler/low profile air cooler. Also another SSD, some LEDS, case fans, bluetooth and wifi adapter would be useful. Hit me up about anything you have.

Thanks815feef3fa22c89c974c6e30ddade875.jpg

CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K @4.5GHz          RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance Black              Drives: 480GB SSD/1.3HDD

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H          Graphics Card: ASUS HD7970 Direct CUII     PSU: Corsair HX650M

Case: NZXT Phantom Black/Modded        CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-C14                            Monitors: 2x Dell U2312HM

shouldnt be any issue with width or length 

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

shouldnt be any issue with width or length

Yeah it's just from the mobo to window I'm worried about. I did see someone cut the window to let the heatpipe clear from a Strix card, but I'm not sure on the dimensions of that card compared to mine.

Do you have the air 240?

CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K @4.5GHz          RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance Black              Drives: 480GB SSD/1.3HDD

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H          Graphics Card: ASUS HD7970 Direct CUII     PSU: Corsair HX650M

Case: NZXT Phantom Black/Modded        CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-C14                            Monitors: 2x Dell U2312HM

Yeah it's just from the mobo to window I'm worried about. I did see someone cut the window to let the heatpipe clear from a Strix card, but I'm not sure on the dimensions of that card compared to mine.

Do you have the air 240?

nope reading specs

looking at the GPU height (144mm) and the max CPU cooler height (120mm) you have an issue 

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

nope reading specs

Ah right, from what I quickly worked out it seemed too close to not get a second opinion.

Ah right, from what I quickly worked out it seemed too close to not get a second opinion.

for me it was 24mm over the max

for me it was 24mm over the max

I wonder how the card is measured, what I found was 129mm, but that's still over. And on another forum the word was 130-140mm which was doable in this case. So that would have worked.

I wonder how the card is measured, what I found was 129mm, but that's still over. And on another forum the word was 130-140mm which was doable in this case. So that would have worked.

in the spec page it says its 5.7" tall aka 144mm the case supports 120mm coolers so..

in the spec page it says its 5.7" tall aka 144mm the case supports 120mm coolers so..

https://www.asus.com/Graphics-Cards/HD7970DC23GD5/specifications/

I've got 5.1" here, I'll measure it myself when I get home. The 120mm would be giving a bit of extra clearance at the top I'd imagine, so coolers aren't pressed up against the window. I did see someone say 130mm can be done with room for the PCIE cables.

If I can see how much room there is from the PCI bracket (where it screws in) to the window in this case I'd know for sure if it can or can't fit.