Sewerk

Gday Guys, 

System:

CPU: i5 4670k

Ram: 8gb

PSU: 800w Coolermaster 80plus gold

HDD: 256gb SSD

GPU: 280x/wants to be a 390x

Just bought a new Asus r9 390x direct CUII. Pulled out my old asus 280x, popped the 390x in and booted up windows.

• First boot went fine. I decided to un-install my old drivers and re-install the new ones. 
  • Un-installed the catalyst software and then the screens went blank. Waited a few minutes and nothing. 
  • Re-booted the pc and it would only boot up to the windows login screen then flicker black and nothing. 
  • tried running safe mode and installing the new drivers but Catalyst software wouldnt/couldnt detect the 390x and installation failed.
  • tried running safe mode and installing the new drivers there using on board graphics. still same issue as above point.
  • tried installing graphics drivers using a different card i have in normal windows, still get the same boot issues.

finally i have given up, put my old 280x back in and machine is working fine. Would i be right to assume to card is a DOA?

One last question thou. I do have a MSI Afterburner OC profile running for the 280x, could this possible cause the issue im having?

Cheers 

CPU: i5-4670k GPU: Asus DirectCUII TOP V2 MOBO: AsRock z87m EXTREME4 RAM: 8gb Gskill 1600mhz  CASE: Corsair Air 540 SSD: OCZ Agility 3 120gb HDD: 2x Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm

Cooling: CPU- H100i push/pull 4x Noctua 120mm fans, 

GPU - H90 push/pull 2x Noctua 140mm fans + NZXT G10 Kraken bracket

Gday Guys, 

System:

CPU: i5 4670k

Ram: 8gb

PSU: 800w Coolermaster 80plus gold

HDD: 256gb SSD

GPU: 280x/wants to be a 390x

Just bought a new Asus r9 390x direct CUII. Pulled out my old asus 280x, popped the 390x in and booted up windows.

• First boot went fine. I decided to un-install my old drivers and re-install the new ones. 
  • Un-installed the catalyst software and then the screens went blank. Waited a few minutes and nothing. 
  • Re-booted the pc and it would only boot up to the windows login screen then flicker black and nothing. 
  • tried running safe mode and installing the new drivers but Catalyst software wouldnt/couldnt detect the 390x and installation failed.
  • tried running safe mode and installing the new drivers there using on board graphics. still same issue as above point.
  • tried installing graphics drivers using a different card i have in normal windows, still get the same boot issues.

finally i have given up, put my old 280x back in and machine is working fine. Would i be right to assume to card is a DOA?

One last question thou. I do have a MSI Afterburner OC profile running for the 280x, could this possible cause the issue im having?

Cheers 

try it without the profile

i5 4590 | Sapphire R9 380 Nitro | MSi H97 Gaming 3 | 8GB HyperX Fury 1600MHz | 1TB WD Blue | ADATA SP900 128GB | Seasonic M12II 620W | NZXT. S340 (Black & Red) |

I think the card is ok.

Try booting up in safe mode and removing all previous drivers and uninstall afterburner

I think the card is ok.

Try booting up in safe mode and removing all previous drivers and uninstall afterburner

Gday Guys, 

sorry for the late reply. Spent most of last night trying to fix this and then i was away today.

At any rate its all fixed. Ended up wiping all traces of GPU drivers from the OS install and after a couple of boots (who knows why) the card finally booted. One annoying thing thou, only the older drivers provided with the card worked. the new catalyst drivers failed to install, and after 5 times trying i gave in, went and got an external cd drive (who has internal ones anyway) and installed the provided drivers. 

Everything is working sweet. 

Thankyou for the help!

Cheers 

CPU: i5-4670k GPU: Asus DirectCUII TOP V2 MOBO: AsRock z87m EXTREME4 RAM: 8gb Gskill 1600mhz  CASE: Corsair Air 540 SSD: OCZ Agility 3 120gb HDD: 2x Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm

Cooling: CPU- H100i push/pull 4x Noctua 120mm fans, 

GPU - H90 push/pull 2x Noctua 140mm fans + NZXT G10 Kraken bracket

Yeah, they have different architecture so they need different drivers.