I need some help with my server on ubuntu

Hello everyone,

I am tinkering with ubuntu because i want a permanent minecraft server on an old pc of mine that was collecting dust in a dark corner of my room. So why not put it to good use.

So I'm a complete noob to ubuntu and since I have only used windows my entire life It's really hard for me to get into Linux distro's.

Right now i managed to setup a local server. So with my other gaming pc i can join the server on the 192.168.1.106 ip.

Now i'm looking into how I can join the server without being in my local network. On my windows pc I, like everyone else, use Hamachi. But ofcourse, that is not the case with linux. Since Hamachi is not avalible on linux I have to find another way to basically get other pc's in some sort of artificial LAN.

I researched some more on the internet and appearently there is another way to connect to a server that is not in your local area network, and that is by port forwarding.

Now, I've port forwarded the 25565 port (Default for minecraft) to my ubuntu machine. But I still can't seem to join the server.

I'm out of knowledge to get this to work. Maybe there's one of you out the who has maybe done this themselves or have some more experience with this kinda thing.

If anyone can help me with this dilema I would very much appreciate that.

Thank you for your time,

Jeroen

CPU:

Intel Core i5 2500k - Motherboard: Asus maximus iv gene-z - RAM: 2x Corsair Vengeance Blue 4GB DDR3-1600 CL9 - GPU: ASUS GTX 770 DirectCU II
Case: Coolermaster Centurion 5 II - Storage: Crucial M4 128GB, Seagate barracuda 3TB PSU: XFX 650W XXX Edition Modular PSU - Keyboard: Ducky Shine 2 Pro
Mouse: Razer Deathadder 2013 - Sound: Razer Characias

Are you trying to connect to your internal ip address(192.168.1.106) from an external source?

you have to connect to your external ip address, it should be found in your router, or google what's my ip address.

Will work for electronic components and parts

Reviews: Meelec CC51P - Monoprice 8323 - Koss Porta Pros  - Shure SRH-440 - Shure SRH-550DJShure SRH-840 - Hifiman He-500 - iBasso D4 - o2 Amplifier  -  SkeletonDac

You need to setup dynamic DNS. You may need to pay for it, I forget which is the free one. It basically allows you to connect to your computer (any OS) by a unique DNS name from out in the world, without it you will get nowhere really, unless you have a static IP at home and can route your incoming request to the ubuntu computer, but dynamic DNS is the real solution even with a static IP.

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

Steps to connect to your server from outside your LAN

1) set up server (done)

2) forward the appropriate port(s) to the server (done)

If you have a static IP: (probably not)

3) when on the LAN, go to http://www.whatismyip.com/

4) use the IP from the above site to connect to your server from outside the LAN

5) (optional) buy a domain name and set it to the above IP address

If you have a dynamic IP: (99% of the time)

3) go to no-ip.org and register for a free account

4) follow these steps (click the link) to set up the no-ip sync client on your Ubuntu server

5) connect to your server from outside your LAN via yoursubdomain.no-ip.org

There, five steps and you're good to go! Have fun playing minecraft :)

Are you trying to connect to your internal ip address(192.168.1.106) from an external source?

you have to connect to your external ip address, it should be found in your router, or google what's my ip address.

No, when i set it up to host the server on my internal ip i can join the server since it's in my local network, but when i set it up with my external I'm not able to join the server.

CPU:

Intel Core i5 2500k - Motherboard: Asus maximus iv gene-z - RAM: 2x Corsair Vengeance Blue 4GB DDR3-1600 CL9 - GPU: ASUS GTX 770 DirectCU II
Case: Coolermaster Centurion 5 II - Storage: Crucial M4 128GB, Seagate barracuda 3TB PSU: XFX 650W XXX Edition Modular PSU - Keyboard: Ducky Shine 2 Pro

You need to setup dynamic DNS. You may need to pay for it, I forget which is the free one. It basically allows you to connect to your computer (any OS) by a unique DNS name from out in the world, without it you will get nowhere really, unless you have a static IP at home and can route your incoming request to the ubuntu computer, but dynamic DNS is the real solution even with a static IP.
I haven't heard of Dynamic DNS, i'll look it up.

I have set up a static ip for both of my computers and already port forwarded both of them.

CPU:

I meant static IP to the world not your own LAN as you have done. Like this forum is (see below), the numerical Address is the same world wide (aka WWW)

www.linustechtips.com canonical name = linustechtips.com.

Name: linustechtips.com

Address: 204.101.73.251

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

Alright thanks, i'll check it out tomorrow.

CPU:

• 11 months later...