Trying to Learn how speaker systems work... HELP!

Go to solution Solved by Guest,

Oh... :D I see^^ The subwoofer is only a speaker, it's no amplifier. It has these four ports so you can loop it in between an amplifier and the speakers. So you connect those two wires to an amplifier and then to the 'High level in" on the sub. It will then filter out everything below a given frequency (which you can set with the frequency nob there) and pass everything above out the "High level out". You can take a second pair of wires and connect the speakers just how you did there. This way, you can use the sub without having an amplifier with a dedicated "subwoofer out" port.

The way you have it set up, only the sub should work. However, it cannot output the signal it receives through the "low level input" because this is the port where a signal already only containing the "information" for the low channel ", e.g. the .1 in 5.1, but it cannot amplify it for the two front speakers.

Nonetheless, you already have most of the parts. You only need an amplifier and due to the possibility to loop the sub in, it does not even necessarily need a SubOut port. You said something about a Pioneer?

You can see the wiring in this picture:

anschluss-high-level-subwoofer.jpg

Would you say the dayton sub is better than something like a polk pws10 or are they around the same as far as clarity and sound range goes. Just asking since they are around the same price and I'm considering upgrading my current speaker system

Would you say the dayton sub is better than something like a polk pws10 or are they around the same as far as clarity and sound range goes. Just asking since they are around the same price and I'm considering upgrading my current speaker system

I have a JVC amp that would work but it's literally huge and heavy. I feel like it's overkill but if I was to use this amp can I set it on the carpet? If not where is a good place to put it?

Are there any smaller, cheaper amps to power the two left and right speakers? Not looking to spend very much. It would be cool to get an amp that can power left and right + a desk studio type microphone. Also how can I have my speakers working and my headset plugged in?

So I'm not great with knowing how speakers systems work. I mostly understand how car speaker systems work but i really just can't get a good grasp on Home speaker systems. I really would like to know how a full speaker system works for a desk setup. I have two kliphsch SB1BK speakers and an extremely heavy JVC Amp/head/controller for them or whatever you call it. The speakers have the RED and BLACK like screws to put wires into but i really don't know how the newer speakers do stuff also do newer speaker systems need a Controller? Are they smaller and more compact now? Please someone help with this confusion. I also have no idea how you set them up properly because i see people setup speakers behind their monitors, facing up, facing down and i know that's wrong but what's the right way to do it?

I'm trying to look into buying a cheap speaker system with a sub woofer for my desk setup. I already have two kliphsch SB1BK speakers, they are discontinued and they aren't great so idk if i could build a system around those or if i should just buy a whole new system. I also have a JVC Controller/Amp/Head whatever it's called and it's old as dirt and heavy. I think i would rather buy an all new setup but i don't want to spend over $150. I want a good speaker system for listening to music with some good bass. I don't know what i all need to set it up but please can someone inform me?

RED/WHITE/BLACK Theme.

THere is no "right" way to do it, it usually depends on the type of speaker and how they radiate audio. Some benefit from a wieder setup, others do not. THe worst that can happen, even when you obstruct them with a monitor is that they sound worse. A speaker, no matter what kind of system, does not need a controller but an amplifier and a Digital-to-analog converter (DAC). The DAC transforms digital music files to analog signals (waves), which then are amplified and made audible by the speaker itself (very basic concept). The "red and black screws" are the terminals for the wire, thats where you hook up the amplifier. Otherwise your question about the "concept of speakers" is a bit vague. Doe you mean in terms of physics? Then there is a ton of articles and videos on the web.

150 bucks is a pretty hard budget for a 2.1 if you want a dedicated amp. I'd recommend you a simple 2.1 computer setupt like the Logitech Z623 which is around  130 bucks.

Also, "old" and "heavy" is no sign for a lack of quality regarding audio equipment. If you mean the Klipsch SB1 Bookshelf speakers then you could do worse.

"We cannot change the cards we're dealt - just how we play the hand" - R. Pausch

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X , Cooler: BeQuiet Dark Rock 3 Motherboard: MSI B450 Mortar Titanium RAM: 16 GB Corsair LPX 3200 GPU: EVGA RTX2070 XC Storage: Adata 120GB SSD, SanDisk 1TB SDD, 2TB WD GreenHDD Case: Fractal Design Define Mini C PSU: EVGA Supernova 650GS Peripherals: Master Keys Pro S, Logitech G402 Audio: Schiit Fulla 2 + Sennheiser HD 650. Laptop: Asus Zenbook UX 302

If all you have is $150 to work with, I would build on the speakers you have now; you probably won't be able to improve your sound much if you start from scratch with a pre-boxed 2.1 system.

I recommend something like the Dayton Sub-1000, which can be had for under $150; you'll probably find that with added bass your mains sound better.

I have these to work with.

This sub and two speakers. My dad would help me but he's on vacation right now. I also have the JVC amp but he said he doesn't think I will have to use it. Please can someone help me set this up for my computer? If possible I want my hyperx headphones to be plugged in as well.

post-243848-0-37351700-1437685352_thumb.

post-243848-0-69552400-1437685390_thumb.

post-243848-0-11333100-1437685544_thumb.

I have it setup like this but only the subwoofer is actually working and playing. I have the white+red plugged into PC.

post-243848-0-28890400-1437687998_thumb.

post-243848-0-28890400-1437687998_thumb.

I have it setup like this but only the subwoofer is actually working and playing. I have the white+red plugged into PC.

Oh...  :D I see^^ The subwoofer is only a speaker, it's no amplifier. It has these four ports so you can loop it in between an amplifier and the speakers. So you connect those two wires to an amplifier and then to the 'High level in" on the sub. It will then filter out everything below a given frequency (which you can set with the frequency nob there) and pass everything above out the "High level out". You can take a second pair of wires and connect the speakers just how you did there. This way, you can use the sub without having an amplifier with a dedicated "subwoofer out" port.

The way you have it set up, only the sub should work. However, it cannot output the signal it receives through the "low level input" because this is the port where a signal already only containing the "information" for the low channel ", e.g. the .1 in 5.1, but it cannot amplify it for the two front speakers.

Nonetheless, you already have most of the parts. You only need an amplifier and due to the possibility to loop the sub in, it does not even necessarily need a SubOut port. You said something about a Pioneer?

"We cannot change the cards we're dealt - just how we play the hand" - R. Pausch

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X , Cooler: BeQuiet Dark Rock 3 Motherboard: MSI B450 Mortar Titanium RAM: 16 GB Corsair LPX 3200 GPU: EVGA RTX2070 XC Storage: Adata 120GB SSD, SanDisk 1TB SDD, 2TB WD GreenHDD Case: Fractal Design Define Mini C PSU: EVGA Supernova 650GS Peripherals: Master Keys Pro S, Logitech G402 Audio: Schiit Fulla 2 + Sennheiser HD 650. Laptop: Asus Zenbook UX 302

If all you have is $150 to work with, I would build on the speakers you have now; you probably won't be able to improve your sound much if you start from scratch with a pre-boxed 2.1 system.

I recommend something like the Dayton Sub-1000, which can be had for under $150; you'll probably find that with added bass your mains sound better.

CPU i5 3570k @ 4.5GHz Motherboard MSI Z77A-G43 RAM 16GB Patriot Somthingortheother GPU XFX 7870 GHz Edition Case Corsair Vengeance C-70 Black Storage 120GB Kingston HyperX 3k + 1tb Seagate HDD PSU Corsair HX650  

Displays 2 old 1080p Acer and Samsung ones Cooling Corsair H60

† TTCF Member †

The Polk is not terribly good, it only goes down to about 35Hz. Definitely go for the Dayton. If you have a larger room or a little larger budget, go for the 12" Dayton, the Sub-1200.

Oh... :D I see^^ The subwoofer is only a speaker, it's no amplifier. It has these four ports so you can loop it in between an amplifier and the speakers. So you connect those two wires to an amplifier and then to the 'High level in" on the sub. It will then filter out everything below a given frequency (which you can set with the frequency nob there) and pass everything above out the "High level out". You can take a second pair of wires and connect the speakers just how you did there. This way, you can use the sub without having an amplifier with a dedicated "subwoofer out" port.

I have a JVC amp that would work but it's literally huge and heavy. I feel like it's overkill but if I was to use this amp can I set it on the carpet? If not where is a good place to put it?

Are there any smaller, cheaper amps to power the two left and right speakers? Not looking to spend very much. It would be cool to get an amp that can power left and right + a desk studio type microphone. Also how can I have my speakers working and my headset plugged in?