Next Upgrade?

I'm trying to decided between buying a second monitor or upgrading my gpu as my next upgrade. I'm currently looking at either getting the Asus rog swift, or a 980 ti.

-My current monitor is an Asus 1080p 60hz 1ms ips screen which is nice, but I'm ready to get a real gaming monitor.

-My current gpu is an evga 780ti which is more than powerful enough for my current monitor, but I want to utilize the 144hz refresh rate of the swift and I'm not convinced it can run both the 1080p monitor and the 1440p monitor at a good fps.

-Assume the rest of the build can accommodate either upgrade (which it can). I've got the money currently just for one upgrade. I can do the upgrade I don't do now around mid to late August. So by the end of the summer I'll be able to do both.

Get the GPU and use DSR to run your games at higher resolutions and get the extra crispiness of the image. 144hz is nice but unless you're doing some super competitive gaming it's not even close to necessary. 980ti + 1080p will last a lot longer than 780ti + 1440p 144hz.

Sergeant, United States Marine Corps

Network Administrator, Comptia A+, Security+, Cisco Certified Networking Associate

From a G3258 to dual Xeon E5-2670's

I'd go for the monitor first, the 780Ti will run 1440p for awhile, long enough until Nvidia releases pascal.

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)