Power Supply Compatibility

TubsAlwaysWins

Hello i own what i believe is an Antec Earthwatts EA500 ATX power supply, and i was wondering if it would work with my MSI 970 Gaming AM3+ motherboard? the power supply only has 4 pin cpu power and my motherboard takes 8 pin cpu power. Also my motherboard takes 24 pin power and that power supply only has 20 pin. Will these two work together? If not do you know of a (minimum of) 430W PSU for around 25$ Id prefer no mail in rebates but if needed i can use them. Looking at the Corsair CX430M? Thanks (Also the Antec PSU is significant wattage for my system.)

Breaking things 1 day at a time

It should work, but I would want to change it. 

What are you running on it? (hardware wise). Corsair's CX series are okay for basic builds, but if you're running anything performance or powerhungry, they're not very good. 

Will it work? Most likely, yes. An excelent example of this is I have an 8-pin CPU power socket on my old school Nvidia based motherboard. I modified my power supply for use with Litecoin mining rigs and therefore I only have on 4-Pin CPU power connector. My board works flawlessly with only using four of the eight power connecions for the CPU. The same should apply to the motherboard ATX power connector as well. It will most likely work, but if you plan on doing anything overclocking wise I would recomend investing in a proper power suply as the board will need the extra power supplied from those extra sockets that will not be filed with the Antec supply you are asking about.

I didn't ask what it was designed to do, I asked what it was capable of doing.

Hello i own what i believe is an Antec Earthwatts EA500 ATX power supply, and i was wondering if it would work with my MSI 970 Gaming AM3+ motherboard? the power supply only has 4 pin cpu power and my motherboard takes 8 pin cpu power. Also my motherboard takes 24 pin power and that power supply only has 20 pin. Will these two work together? If not do you know of a (minimum of) 430W PSU for around 25$ Id prefer no mail in rebates but if needed i can use them. Looking at the Corsair CX430M? Thanks (Also the Antec PSU is significant wattage for my system.)

That Antec is worlds ahead of a CX series. Don't replace it.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

That's not a antec EA500 according to his description of it, but if it was the thing is a amazing PSU.

Its am Antec Earthwatts EA-500B. Came out of a retired 9 year old NAS at my dads job

Breaking things 1 day at a time