Upgrading processor and video card

Impave

i have an old motherboard and i want to upgrade the processor and add a video card but i dont know if it would work please help. My current motherboard Foxconn RS740M03 8EKRS2H AMD Socket AM2 Motherboard. Upgrade to am3 if possible and add msi geforce gtx 960 video card. If those wont work please suggest something else

AMD socket Types are a dead end. Upgrade to Intel and get a r9 280x or r9 380. For Intel a lower end i5 and a h97 board.

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

The gtx 960 will work with any motherboard but make sure that the cpu you buy is an am3 cpu if that is the motherboard socket you are looking to buy. Otherwise, everything should work

Most AM3 CPUS can use AM2, not the FX line, though. Just make sure your BIOS is up to date, and the TDP of the CPU is at or below the boards TDP  As for the GPU, make sure your PSU is up to par. I suggest a 500 watt PSU for breathing room.

You are on a need to know basis, and you don't need to know.

AMD socket Types are a dead end. Upgrade to Intel and get a r9 280x or r9 380. For Intel a lower end i5 and a h97 board.

He wants to upgrade, not build a new system.

he made the suggestion of upgrading to am3. If he's doing thst it's a dead end still. Hence my suggestion.

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

AMD is gone. If you want to have a next-gen PC, get a 4670K or 4690K and a Z97 board.

If you're playing on a 60Hz 1080p monitor, the 960 is fine. But if you want to raise the bar, go for a 970 or a 380 for better future proofing.

No AMD is NOT dead. AMD is just fine for gaming up to a 980. 

Is it bad that my dream setup only costs a few thousand not counting the obutto?

CPU: FX-8320

Motherboard: asrock 970Pro3 r2.0

Memory: Team Zeus Blue 8GB DDR3-1600 Memory 

Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 280 3GB DUAL-X Video Card 

Case: Deepcool TESSERACT BF ATX Mid Tower Case  

Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply  

SSD: MX100 128GB

HDD: WD 2TB black edition

He's upgrading socket and CPU so he might as well go intel

Setup

CPU: i3 4160|Motherboard: MSI Z97 PC MATE|RAM: Kingston HyperX Blue 8GB(2x4GB)|GPU: Sapphire Nitro R9 380 4GB|PSU: Seasonic M12II EVO 620W Modular|Storage: 1TB WD Blue|Case: NZXT S340 Black|PCIe devices: TP-Link WDN4800| Montior: ASUS VE247H| Others: PS3/PS4

Is it too old then? Should i just build a new computer from scratch?

Is it too old then? Should i just build a new computer from scratch?

It would probably give you the most bang for buck if you do. You could get a i5 and 970 system for about $700.

G3258 @ 4.5 | 8GB Team Vulcan RAM | 128GB Kingston V300 SSD (I didn't know what I was doing when I bought it) | MSI H81I Motherboard | Corsair H55 with Noctua NF-P12 | EVGA SSC GTX 960 4GB | OCZ 550W Fully Modular PSU with Noctua NF-A14 | Cooler Master Elite 130 (Soon to be something cool)

Well, all I'm saying is we waited years for their new set of cards and they turned out to be pretty much the same. Overpriced, noisy, and hot.

Let me guess, fanboy. The fury card(not the fury X)? pretty good, beats the 980 by 5+fps in most games, it does have alittle coil whine I have to admit, but its $50 less then the 980 and it didn't exceed 80C when running at full speed.

The r9 390? it improved heat, it improved performance, and it is a decent card for the price.

Yes AMD definitely overhyped there new lineup, but there still good cards.

There CPUs? the 8350 is a great CPU for $150. It will run games just fine with up to a 980, and it has 8cores so although not as good as a intel CPU because of the shared cache. it does a fair job in work tasks like 3D rendering, video editing, and streaming.

Is it bad that my dream setup only costs a few thousand not counting the obutto?

Let me guess, fanboy. The fury card(not the fury X)? pretty good, beats the 980 by 5+fps in most games, it does have alittle coil whine I have to admit, but its $50 less then the 980 and it didn't exceed 80C when running at full speed.

The r9 390? it improved heat, it improved performance, and it is a decent card for the price.

Yes AMD definitely overhyped there new lineup, but there still good cards.

There CPUs? the 8350 is a great CPU for $150. It will run games just fine with up to a 980, and it has 8cores so although not as good as a intel CPU because of the shared cache. it does a fair job in work tasks like 3D rendering, video editing, and streaming.

I agree, but calling him a fanboy is a little overboard. Yes. AMD runs hot. But that was fixed a long time ago, around the Radeon HD 6000 series, and the R9 290 was cool, but extremely loud. Their CPU's really need a refresh, but sadly thy don't have the R&D budget. I hope they get purchased by Samsung or Microsoft. Preferably Microsoft because they could fix the drivers and make them built into the Windows. Also, they could use AMD Game DVR in the XBOX Game Recording on Windows 10.

td;lr

Anyways, AMD is not dead, unless they don't ge purchased by 2020 (People in the stock biz are saying that the way AMD is going financialy, they might go bankrupt by 2020) 

I agree, but calling him a fanboy is a little overboard. Yes. AMD runs hot. But that was fixed a long time ago, around the Radeon HD 6000 series, and the R9 290 was cool, but extremely loud. Their CPU's really need a refresh, but sadly thy don't have the R&D budget. I hope they get purchased by Samsung or Microsoft. Preferably Microsoft because they could fix the drivers and make them built into the Windows. Also, they could use AMD Game DVR in the XBOX Game Recording on Windows 10.

td;lr

Anyways, AMD is not dead, unless they don't ge purchased by 2020 (People in the stock biz are saying that the way AMD is going financialy, they might go bankrupt by 2020) 

I don't think AMD is going to die.... I sure hope it doesn't because I just invested a small amount into them hoping when there new CPU comes it it goes up abit. xD

AMD is just fine for gaming up to a 980. 

Their current GPUs sit in between the 970 and 980 and the 980 and 980 Ti.

The cheaper ones again sit between cheaper Nvidia options.

Personally I'd rather buy a R9 Fury over a 980 Ti but currently I don't have the money and AMD still hasn't fully launched the R9 Fury.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization