G3258 for Cities: Skylines and GTA 5?

Go to solution Solved by PentiumK,

Gta v cant run on dual core cpu so u cant play it

Yes, it can. I'm playing it right now on my G3258. 40-60FPS with a 2gb 750 SC and 4gb of 1666mhz RAM. Keep in mind, this is on DX10, however I can bump everything (but textures) up to max and it still runs great, and looks about the same as PS4 graphics. OCd my CPU to 4ghz :)

BTW GTA is a RAM whore, less of a CPU whore. 8gb is the sweet spot, but it still runs pretty decent on 4gb.

I'm currently building a budget PC for my friend. I heard that Cities: Skylines and GTA 5 are CPU-heavy games. He says it's okay if the PC can't play these game at max settings.

SPECS:

CPU: Intel Pentium G3258

RAM: 8GB Kingston HyperX Fury Black DDR3-1600MHz

MB: ECS H87H3-M 1.0 Crossfire-Ready Micro ATX Motherboard

GPU: Sapphire Radeon R7 260X / R7 360X R7 360 (Depending on which one is available)

HDD: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM

(Edit: R7 360 not R7 360X)

Has a Ph.D in Nothing and does not speak Chinese, Italian or French. (aber ich kann Deutsch sprechen)

I'm sorry heisenberg, but no.

Personally, I'd suggest getting more cores if you can.  Cities Skylines LOVES the threads.  And GTA V has a hard time on just 2 cores.

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Event Viewer 101: https://youtu.be/GiF9N3fJbnE

I'm currently building a budget PC for my friend. I heard that Cities: Skylines and GTA 5 are CPU-heavy games. He says it's okay if the PC can't play these game at max settings.

SPECS:

CPU: Intel Pentium G3258

RAM: 8GB Kingston HyperX Fury Black DDR3-1600MHz

MB: ECS H87H3-M 1.0 Crossfire-Ready Micro ATX Motherboard

GPU: Sapphire Radeon R7 260X / R7 360X (Depending on which one is available)

HDD: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM

at least get an i3

<p>Wish I could have this already!! : http://pcpartpicker.com/p/qTLRjX

this gives a decent idea of performance in GTA V although with an i3

For cities it uses a lot cpu resources, if you're gonna stick with pentium be sure he can overclock the hell out of it

That G3258 can go to crazy speeds, but I still think you'd need an i3 at the very least

CPU: AMD 7800X3D Motherboard: NZXT B650E RAM: 32GB 5600 30-CL Corsair Vengeance DDR5 GPU: MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 2070 PSU: Corsair RM850i Monitor: Samsung 27" 4K thing Cooling:Noctua Chromax Black NH-D15: Case: NZXT H510 Black

• 2 weeks later...

Gta v cant run on dual core cpu so u cant play it

Yes, it can. I'm playing it right now on my G3258. 40-60FPS with a 2gb 750 SC and 4gb of 1666mhz RAM. Keep in mind, this is on DX10, however I can bump everything (but textures) up to max and it still runs great, and looks about the same as PS4 graphics. OCd my CPU to 4ghz :)

BTW GTA is a RAM whore, less of a CPU whore. 8gb is the sweet spot, but it still runs pretty decent on 4gb.

I didn't know that

C:S loves the threads indeed.  With smaller cities, the game runs full speed while CPU usage is okay.  As the city grows, the CPU usage will reach 100% and at that point the game will start to slow down. 

Notice that I said "the game will slow down", not "the framerate will decrease".  The game engine is designed to let the time slow down as it runs out of CPU power.  The days in the game will simply last longer and vehicles and pedestrians will move slower.