First build: Around £900 budget

Jambon

Hi guys,

I’ve been meaning to build a PC for years now and I'm finally taking the plunge. It will be mainly used for gaming (Fallout 4, Battlefront 3, Minecraft etc.) and I’ve budgeted for around £900. I've had a stab at putting a list together, but I’ll be interested to see what you think:

CPU:

Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  (£161.94 @ Aria PC)

CPU Cooler:

Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  (£24.95 @ Aria PC)

Motherboard:

MSI Z97-GAMING 5 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  (£99.98 @ Amazon UK)

Memory:

G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  (£47.52 @ Amazon UK)

Storage:

Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (£39.97 @ CCL Computers)

Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (£32.40 @ Aria PC)

Video Card:

MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card  (£259.99 @ Aria PC)

Case:

Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case  (£67.98 @ Novatech)

Power Supply:

SeaSonic 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  (£84.78 @ Scan.co.uk)

Optical Drive:

LG UH12NS30 Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer  (£34.98 @ Ebuyer)

Operating System:

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 OEM (64-bit)  (£67.95 @ Ebuyer)

Total: £922.44

I already have a decent mouse and keyboard and I’ll probably carry on using my ASUS PB238Q for the meantime (though I may upgrade to a 1440); so they’re not an issue at the moment.  

The biggest debate that I’m having with myself is over the processor. I was considering an Intel Xeon E3-1231/41 V3 as I have no experience with OC. However, I like the idea of being able get another GPU in SLI in the future so a Z97 seems like a good idea (plus, the 4690K is quite a bit cheaper than the Xeon right now). So basically, am I better to run the Xeon at stock speed or to have a go at overclocking the i5?

I've also seen some G.Skill Ripjaws RAM at 1866 for nearly the same price. Again, I have no experience with overclocking, so is there really much difference between 1600 and 1866? 

I am a total noob at this, so I’ll really appreciate any advice that you can give me!

Get a bx100, the V300 had their controllers replaced and are too slow now. And get the 1866 ram if it's around a couple of dollars pricer, it won't do much but it isn't that pricey.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

dont feel like the neither the 1231 nor the 4690k would bottleneck a sli, but i would the the 1231v3. there are little to none gaming application info with the i7 like xeons

Cheers guys. The SSD is long gone (I'm looking at the BX100 instead). If I go for the R9 390, will the 650W PSU still be enough?

Cheers guys. The SSD is long gone (I'm looking at the BX100 instead). If I go for the R9 390, will the 650W PSU still be enough?

If you want to crossfire, then no