Making my SSD my C/boot drive (nothing I have found online works btw)

I want to make my new 250gb ssd my C/boot drive. I have already cloned my 1tb hdd to the ssd and even set up the bios to give the ssd boot priority over the hdd. However, it wont boot and will prompt me with a message to install bootable device. I plan on formatting my hdd so I can just use it for storage, not my os, but it wont let me format because I am using it for windows when I dont want to. My brain has been hurting over this all day. Please help.

I want to make my new 250gb ssd my C/boot drive. I have already cloned my 1tb hdd to the ssd and even set up the bios to give the ssd boot priority over the hdd. However, it wont boot and will prompt me with a message to install bootable device. I plan on formatting my hdd so I can just use it for storage, not my os, but it wont let me format because I am using it for windows when I dont want to. My brain has been hurting over this all day. Please help.

Sounds like the cloning process simply didn't finish correctly.

What program did you use to Clone?

Also which SSD do you have? If it's a Samsung, use the Samsung Magician cloning tool. If your HDD is a WD, then use the free WD edition of Acronis True Image.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Sounds like it didn't clone the boot partition, there is software available that can help you create a boot partition.

The one I know of is called EasyBCD, it's free if you look hard enough. (They try hard to sell support I believe)

Google is always your friend... Or Yahoo, or Bing...

I want to make my new 250gb ssd my C/boot drive. I have already cloned my 1tb hdd to the ssd and even set up the bios to give the ssd boot priority over the hdd. However, it wont boot and will prompt me with a message to install bootable device. I plan on formatting my hdd so I can just use it for storage, not my os, but it wont let me format because I am using it for windows when I dont want to. My brain has been hurting over this all day. Please help.I hate to say this, 

I hate to say this but, the easiest way for me was to just re-install windows on my ssd, and then re format my hdd and wipe it completely. From then I chose where to download things and everything.

I messed with this stuff for about 2 weeks. The simplest way I found was to just do a clean install :/ You can backup any important picture, documents, maybe even videos, to a usb, and then after your hdd is wiped, dump them back on.

glhf

Like already said, the easiest way is to do a clean install of Windows to your SSD.

I would suggest to disconnect every other storage, while installing Windows.

After that, just connect your old HDD copy your %appdata% to the SSD and install all programms you need normaly.

Then you just run the disk cleanup utility and make sure to select the HDD and "old Windows installations" and delete the program folders manually.

No need to reformat that drive.

You can link your old music, video, pictures and documents directories to the explorer.

Just go to the folder, that named after the account you are using on windows and select properties on every Folder you'd like to have on the HDD.

Go to the path tab and select the folder on your HDD and you'll have all data easily accessible.

It makes more sense to have that data on the HDD anyways.

aM7JBoN.jpg

UqVZdvE.jpg

(Apologise for the german windows, but i think you should be fine with that)

~ ThxAndBye

"You should remove any cats from the vicinity, because cats will cause all kinds of problems doing CPU installation." -Linus

delid i7-3770k @ 4.2Ghz @ 1.265V | EVGA z77 FTW | GTX 680 2way-SLI | 16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum @ 1866MHz | 240GB SSD RAID 0 | Full Custom Water Loop with two 360mm radiators  -> live temps <-

I already had windows installed on my hdd. Im just trying to transfer the os to the ssd so I dont have to start everything over. Im following this guide: http://lifehacker.com/5837543/how-to-migrate-to-a-solid-state-drive-without-reinstalling-windows

Don't use programs that you need to load up in Windows, they can't reliably do the job, windows uses files and locks them for transfer since they are vital to the operation of Windows.

Grab a copy of Acronis, such as the Western Digital one mentioned or a copy of Hiren's Boot Disk, boot it up from a USB or DVD, and then try again. Keep in mind that your install needs to be smaller than the SSD otherwise it won't work, but I am sure you already knew that.

Motherboard: MSI G45 | CPU: Intel i7 4790K | RAM: 16GB G.Skill DDR3 | SSD: 2x Samsung 840 Evo 256GB | Graphics: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW | PSU: Corsair HX650W | Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo | Fans: 6x Corsair SP120's | Case: NZXT H440 Razer Edition | OS: Windows 10